Is this normal?

tylerg

I dont know if this goes for every species or not but my male oustalet has been shedding lately and i have been noticing that he is getting these weird bumps under his arms that are bright pink. Can anyone help out with this? I dont know if I should be worried or not, and I take care of my chameleons very well just never had any experience with this.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 137
  • photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 163
Is this a wildcaught cham? I think I'd go to a herp vet and have them probed to see if there's an injury point or any type of pore opening. Take some samples from the lumps. They could be caused by mature parasitic worms under the skin or small abscesses that need to be opened and cleaned out. I had a verrucosus who developed a sort of pimple or blackhead in the same spot over and over that filled up with waxy sebaceous material over time. There was no active infection but periodically I would force the stuff out through a pore in the skin. Weird thing, but it didn't spread or cause other problems.

Is this a wildcaught cham? I think I'd go to a herp vet and have them probed to see if there's an injury point or any type of pore opening. Take some samples from the lumps. They could be caused by mature parasitic worms under the skin or small abscesses that need to be opened and cleaned out. I had a verrucosus who developed a sort of pimple or blackhead in the same spot over and over that filled up with waxy sebaceous material over time. There was no active infection but periodically I would force the stuff out through a pore in the skin. Weird thing, but it didn't spread or cause other problems.

Yes he is wild caught I believe, but I have had him for about 6 months and the previous owner had him for over a year. Could he just randomly get something like that?

to me, he also looks like he has gular edema in addition to the white bump. Maybe just the pic? When you feel the area, does it feel like fluid?

Yes he is wild caught I believe, but I have had him for about 6 months and the previous owner had him for over a year. Could he just randomly get something like that?

He probably had a long standing parasite infestation the whole time. It takes some time for some parasitic worms to show up in adult form, as they migrate from the GI tract into other organs or under the skin. The antiparasitical meds can't affect them as much there. And, yes, chams routinely pick up some parasites from their insect prey. You won't get rid of them all, just keep track of what's there.

Back
Top Bottom