Is this normal?

Schick2583

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, Male approx 4-5 months, since 2/26/11

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Often just for a few minutes

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets,HornWorms,Reptiworms. I fill up 2 cups and let him go to town

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-cal calcium w/o D3 and phos. free everyday, Rep-cal with d3 twice a month and multivitamins twice a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Drip system and Mist 4-5 times a day. Have not seen him drink in new enclosure

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Have not seen any in new cage. No

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nothing really other than he still hasn't lost all his shed from March 12th

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen reptibreeze 18x18x36

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Flukers UVB 5.0 compact. on a 12hr timers goes on at 8am off at 8pm. 60w soft white bulb for basking in a dual zoo med hood

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 92 degrees at basking light. 74 degrees at floor lowest i've seen is 67 at night

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Can't seem to keep it above 45% mist 4-5 times a day, drip system and live plants

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos and hibiscus

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Daughters room medium traffic no fans or vents top of cage is approx 5 foot off the floor

Location - Where are you geographically located? NJ

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I put my veiled in a new cage. It's a reptibreeze 18x18x36 he was originally in a 12x12x18 glass terrarium. He's eating very good in the new cage, I haven't seen him drink yet in it and I haven't seen any poop. He seems to be sleeping a lot and doesn't hang out by the basking light heat light or heat emitter he just hangs out in the pothos plant and sleeps. He's very green but when I get him out of the cage he's cold but by the basking light its 92 and the bottom of the cage is 75. I was just wondering if it's normal for him to be sleeping so much, maybe due to the new cage? In the old tank he would always sit up either under the uvb light or under the heat emitter.

You mean sleeping during the day? That is not normal. something is awry here. Your basking temp could be lowered about 10 degrees. That is probably why he is heading to the bottom where its cool but still doesnt explain the eye closing thing. What are the specifics of the Flukers 5.0 compact light.? Like what does the box sayif you still have it?

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, Male approx 4-5 months, since 2/26/11

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Often just for a few minutes

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets,HornWorms,Reptiworms. I fill up 2 cups and let him go to town

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-cal calcium w/o D3 and phos. free everyday, Rep-cal with d3 twice a month and multivitamins twice a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Drip system and Mist 4-5 times a day. Have not seen him drink in new enclosure

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Have not seen any in new cage. No

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nothing really other than he still hasn't lost all his shed from March 12th

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen reptibreeze 18x18x36

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Flukers UVB 5.0 compact. on a 12hr timers goes on at 8am off at 8pm. 60w soft white bulb for basking in a dual zoo med hood

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 92 degrees at basking light. 74 degrees at floor lowest i've seen is 67 at night

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Can't seem to keep it above 45% mist 4-5 times a day, drip system and live plants

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Golden pothos and hibiscus

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Daughters room medium traffic no fans or vents top of cage is approx 5 foot off the floor

Location - Where are you geographically located? NJ

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I put my veiled in a new cage. It's a reptibreeze 18x18x36 he was originally in a 12x12x18 glass terrarium. He's eating very good in the new cage, I haven't seen him drink yet in it and I haven't seen any poop. He seems to be sleeping a lot and doesn't hang out by the basking light heat light or heat emitter he just hangs out in the pothos plant and sleeps. He's very green but when I get him out of the cage he's cold but by the basking light its 92 and the bottom of the cage is 75. I was just wondering if it's normal for him to be sleeping so much, maybe due to the new cage? In the old tank he would always sit up either under the uvb light or under the heat emitter.

Just a reminder that a cham will feel cool to the touch unless it happens to be 98.6 F in temp (your body temp). I agree, the basking spot is a bit warm. Hang some plastic sheeting on your cage back or sides to help maintain the humidity level longer after spraying. Maybe he feels too exposed to view in the new cage? Have you tried covering part of it with a sheet to give him more privacy? He might just start moving around more and discover his new cage.

Back
Top Bottom