Is this normal?

ar15fonsi

So my new little guy has been enjoying almost every day of the FL sun in the afternoon, I let him free range in a orange tree I have in my backyard for around 1hr almost every day.

I also spray the tree so he can enjoy the sun and drink water. There is one thing I always noticed after I sprayed the plant, he would sometimes shoot his tongue out, I thought it was weird, I even thought it was maybe he saw a fly and ate it.

Today I placed him on my ficus tree to free range inside my lanai and after I sprayed he shoot it again, this time I did noticed what he did, he shoot it at a bead of water at the end of a leaf, pretty accurate i might add, but is this behavior normal?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, normal but just be careful letting him freerange outside. I don't know how big your tree is, but a bird can snatch him up in a heartbeat.

Yes, normal but just be careful letting him freerange outside. I don't know how big your tree is, but a bird can snatch him up in a heartbeat.

It's only around 4ft tall and I sit next to the tree when I let him bask in the sun. The real free range is inside my lanai I'll leave him there for hours and sometimes overnight, he gets direct sunlight also there from both side depending of the time of the day

Thanks

It's only around 4ft tall and I sit next to the tree when I let him bask in the sun. The real free range is inside my lanai I'll leave him there for hours and sometimes overnight, he gets direct sunlight also there from both side depending of the time of the day

Thanks

Outside of a cage at night? No protection from predators or simply leaving the area?

Thanks

No problem. Hawks can be pretty bold though. I was sitting crouched down in a chair, so the hawk might not have noticed me. It swooped in for my panther who was baskin on a long branch I had stuck in a plant..I actually swatted it in flight as it was coming in for the kill. That scared the crap out of me! I was just reading on FB on Chameleon Central and one guy said he had his chameleon on his shoulder and a hawk swooped in and grabbed him and flew off. Just always keep your eyes peeled. You never know!

No problem. Hawks can be pretty bold though. I was sitting crouched down in a chair, so the hawk might not have noticed me. It swooped in for my panther who was baskin on a long branch I had stuck in a plant..I actually swatted it in flight as it was coming in for the kill. That scared the crap out of me! I was just reading on FB on Chameleon Central and one guy said he had his chameleon on his shoulder and a hawk swooped in and grabbed him and flew off. Just always keep your eyes peeled. You never know!

Thanks I'll keep my eyes open

Lanai's aren't known to everyone. I didn't know what they were until my dad moved to Florida. Fully screened in enclosure most times having a shingled roof and usually attached to ones house. It's mostly a bug free extra room. Excellent for a free range (depending on size).

Ar15, my veiled shoots at water droplets all the time. Seems to love it.

outside of the cage, my lanai is sealed and closed and locked also, my veiled has spent days out of her cage in the free roaming area.

It might be a little risky to leave a chameleon in a screened lanai, locked or not. A raccoon will tear through a screen easily.

Back
Top Bottom