Is this normal ?!?!

ChamLife

HELP!!!! with eggs

Hi. So I have a clutch of 29 Panther chameleon eggs that were laid 02-09-14.
They are beautiful, they are in hatch rite in two separate Tupperwares in a reptibator, the temp is 73 and the humidity is around 40. when they were laid the bigger one weighted 253 and the smaller one 173, it is now 05-17-14 and the bigger one is 240 and the smaller one is 165..... they look perfect they are not moldy or shriveled, they have grown is size but they lost weight..... is there something wrong with them? Any and all help is appreciated.

Does your scale have different measurements? Could you have possibly made a mistake during the original weigh in (i.e. scale was tared, then something got on it afterwards and remained for both weighings?) Was there any soil or anything on the side of the egg from being laid, that could have fallen off? Interesting question. Keep in mind i am not judging, leave that for some others on here (god knows there are plenty). Weighing is like measuring, always do it twice. If you don't find a definitive answer, pm me and i will look at my eggs and records. Will either try experiment or something...

late thought....

Sometimes they may lose weight, if rh has dropped. Make sure your medium isn't dried out. If this occurs, your eggs will most likely show signs of shriveling.

Yup...

Well I weigh my eggs once a week and the first week or two they weighed the same then they started loosing weight. the medium is Hatch-rite so.. I mean I never wet it or anything so idk if it could dry out. and like I said they look perfect they are plump, white and just very healthy looking so... I don't know what is going on with them. I will keep you updated. and maybe I will post some pics soon. I am going to try candling them tomorrow.

Use a reference 'item' and make sure they are gaining in size. That might help put your mind at rest.i just got 15 eggs from a small panther of mine today. I will start weighing a couple and seeing what happens. Normally, i don't weigh or even candle. They grow so much in size, you know you are on the right track. I use a small pen flashlight in the dark, if i have late hatchers. I don't use hatchrite, so i am not familiar. I use organic vermiculite and perlite mix. I keep it moist, but not able to squeeze water from it.

Back
Top Bottom