Is this normal?

Amayerz

Ok so Ive noticed that when Yubaba (my female veiled chameleon) "hunts" she gets darker spots and weird shapes all over her. Also the other day I was turning on her lights and she woke up like this! (see attached photos) Is this normal? She did shed the next day if that means anything.

Ive notcied that she will get darker spots then when she sees me she goes back to a lighter green color. And yes she has a place to lay her eggs.

Just want to make sure shes ok any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

age Type -Screen Cage Size: 30" x 16.5" x 48"

Lighting - "Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture" I usualy have lights on from 7am-9pm (ill check the blubs when I get home)

Temperature - top of cage id say between 100-90 middle/bottom 80-65

Humidity - I hand spray her about 4-5 times daily with warm water.

Plants - live ficus plant

Placement -
cage is in my dining/living room area. Not too much traffic thru there just me and my boyfriend. There is a fan in the dining room I dont pften.

Location - San Diego, CA

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -Female, Veiled Chameleon, Ive had her about two and a half. Id say she is 6-7 months old.

Handling - about once a week

Feeding - I feed her crickets I usually get about 20-40 at a time and they only seem to last her about 2-3 days... if that (shes a fatty)

Supplements - "Repashy Super food calcium dust" on her crickets.

Watering - Hand Spray about 4-6 times daily. Ive seen her drink before but i dont see her drink everyday, but i do work a lot.

Fecal Description - regularly, Brown and white. Dont think she has been tested for parasites.

History - Bought her at LLL Reptile in Escondido, CA

Attachments

• photo 1(10).jpg
    photo 1(10).jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 500.jpg
    500.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 3(7).jpg
    photo 3(7).jpg
    264 KB · Views: 143
  • photo(19).jpg
    photo(19).jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 132
Usually the darker patterns like that are stress colors, but it's interesting that she turn lighter when she sees you (this is odd in my experience.) Maybe someone else can help more specifically.

How old is she? It's usually recommended to start cutting food back around 6-8 months old so that you can try to prevent eggs. 90-100 degrees is much too warm if you want to try and prevent eggs. 82-85 is what is recommended.

Usually the darker patterns like that are stress colors, but it's interesting that she turn lighter when she sees you (this is odd in my experience.) Maybe someone else can help more specifically.

How old is she? It's usually recommended to start cutting food back around 6-8 months old so that you can try to prevent eggs. 90-100 degrees is much too warm if you want to try and prevent eggs. 82-85 is what is recommended.

That what I thought!
Im still trying to figure it out!
I think she is about 8-81/2 months.
I will def lower her temp! and cut back on her food intake to help prevent the eggs.

Thank you so much for your input! :)

That what I thought!
Im still trying to figure it out!
I think she is about 8-81/2 months.
I will def lower her temp! and cut back on her food intake to help prevent the eggs.

Thank you so much for your input! :)

She might be gravid, but I am very unfamiliar with female Chameleons. Do you have an egg laying bin available?

Ok so Ive noticed that when Yubaba (my female veiled chameleon) "hunts" she gets darker spots and weird shapes all over her.

Think of hunting and a higher level of activity a sort of good stress...she's stimulated or excited. Chams show more pattern and more intense color for good reasons as well as bad. A completely relaxed (content to the point of boredom) cham will show quiet less contrasty coloration. The more familiar you are with every mood of your particular cham the more you'll be able to interpret their subtler color cues.

I'll bet she is already in egg production. She has that paunchy look to me. This will also affect her color.

Back
Top Bottom