Is this my Melleri's Sperm Plug?

draetish

Avid Member
This morning my new melleri left this on the branch :eek: . It doesn't look like Rocko's sperm plug, so I'm not sure. If it is, this is what I 've been waiting for to name this guy. :D

Attachments

• P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 266
  • P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 280
  • P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 291
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 270
  • P1010042.JPG
    P1010042.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 265
To me it just looks like some slimy urates. Typically sperm plugs are dryer and crustier....but it could be.

To me it just looks like some slimy urates. Typically sperm plugs are dryer and crustier....but it could be.

If it is slimy urates, do I need to worry? Before this they have been solid and pure white, poop is good and solid and fecal showed no parasites.

I guess to know if it is slimy urate you need to see what his poop is doing. I can't imange 3 sections of slimy urates but is that 3 pictures of the same one? They all look the same to me. send flux or the owner of the whole clan of mellers, summoner 12 , a pm with that picture and ask, if they don't know then I have no help to offer.:(

That is the same thing, just 3 different pics. I just checked the bottom of the viv and there is a white urate down there, but it is small and it got wet from the drip.

I guess to know if it is slimy urate you need to see what his poop is doing. I can't imange 3 sections of slimy urates but is that 3 pictures of the same one? They all look the same to me. send flux or the owner of the whole clan of mellers, summoner 12 , a pm with that picture and ask, if they don't know then I have no help to offer.:(

Attachments

• P1010043.JPG
    P1010043.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 186
  • P1010044.JPG
    P1010044.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 192
Meller's often drop mucous-y masses when they poop. Your's looks like a blob of mucous mixed with urate. That is normal for mature Meller's.

Here is a photo of a male Meller's sperm plug (sometimes the sperm plug can be mixed with the poop and/or urate, but it can usually be separated out. If you want to you can try to divide the mass and see if you get an object out of it that looks something like this photo- only a lot wetter. I can't tell from the photos what all is going on in that mucous mass.):

ccw0001.jpg

As I look at those photos on the branch it does look to me like there is possibly a very moist/fresh sperm plug in there, but it's hard to know for sure.

plug.jpg

Thanks Sandy, It's good to know that it's normal. When I wiped it off with a paper towel it was liquid and nothing that looked like the sperm plug you posted.

What a bummer, I know you wanted a male but hey you have a lovely mellers with this one so I know you are happy.:D And then we all know you have sweet little arley.:rolleyes:

What a bummer, I know you wanted a male but hey you have a lovely mellers with this one so I know you are happy.:D And then we all know you have sweet little arley.:rolleyes:

The thing that really sucks is I haven't given my new melleri a name yet.

Darn it... You should've checked it under a microscope for any sperm before you wiped it off...Ohh well...

We got a fresh white-ish mucous blob off our first Meller's, and placed it under the microscope, and got a really nice (nasty) video of sperm swimming around. The chameleon had been "rocking" on his cage furnishings. I can tell you that Meller's are a VERY DIFFERENT breed. :eek: We soon got him a female companion.

Back
Top Bottom