Is this MBD treatment normal?

Went to the vet today for my male 4 month old chameleon named pickles. He was showing some signs of mbd. Vet put him under the X-ray and he did in fact have very minor mbd. He suggested I put a little bit of calcium in his water and monitor my crickets behavior to see if they rub off any of the calcium I put on them before they get eaten. Just wondering if anyone else has had to put calcium in their water for similar reasons. I’m also wondering if his eyes would have issues with the drops. Just sprayed him and he seems to take longer to clean his eyes than he does with normal water.

Find a new vet. Calcium powder or liquid calcium is the standard treatment.
Well he gave me liquid calcium, that’s what I’m putting into the water. I’ll be able to post some of the information tonight so i can get the exact brand of calcium I used and the exact kinds of lights. I’m currently at work so I should be able to get back to you at around 11 or 12. Thank you for responding.

So for a bulb I use a t8. Vitamins I use mine to flukers vitamin liquid. Diluted at 1/2 and around 8 drops a week. I also use Royal pet supplies inc reptile calcium without d3. I dust all of his crickets and feed his crickets apples.

Last edited:
I'll let @Brodybreaux25 handle the advice but the vet telling you to out it in the water doesn't make any sense. Usually you need to give the cham the drops directly. Your lighting, gutload and dusting should be enough to have avoided this to begin with but now you you will have some work ahead of you. @Beman can you post the question form?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Nevermind. That was a female and this is a male. Let me take a wild guess.... The female died and you replaced it with this male and didn't do anything to fix your husbandry from your female and now your killing a new chameleon all over again???

That thread was a **** show thread if I remember and he said he was getting another one that was heathy and looks like he got another sick
If you want to know what happened with that other thread, read it. That wasn’t my chameleon to begin with though. I really just want to stop waisting time on that thread so can we just focus on my original question? I’m going to post my information in a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to know what happened with that other thread, read it. That wasn’t my chameleon to begin with though. I really just want to stop waisting time on that thread so can we just focus on my original question? I’m going to post my information in a minute.
I was there I don't need to read it. Chameleons don't catch MBD like a cough. It is completely the fault of the keeper when this happens. And a 4 month old having MBD already? Nope now that I know who you are I can no longer help. Hopefully someone else can guide you.

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, 4-6 months, male
  • Handling - Only During cage cleanings about every week.
  • Feeding - Crickets, using zoomed repti-calcium without d3 daily. Usually about 15 crickets
  • Supplements - flicker repti vitamin diluted at 1/2 8 drops a week.
  • Watering - I have a dripper working all day and I mist 2 times a day. With a humidity almost always about 50.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 18x18x28
  • Lighting t-8 along with a heat bulb. Try to do 12 hours but it sometimes is on a little longer.
  • Temperature - 72-85. Measure with 3 thermometers at different heights
  • Plants - Yes, a money tree

Nevermind. That was a female and this is a male. Let me take a wild guess.... The female died and you replaced it with this male and didn't do anything to fix your husbandry from your female and now your killing a new chameleon all over again???
I was there I don't need to read it. Chameleons don't catch MBD like a cough. It is completely the fault of the keeper when this happens. And a 4 month old having MBD already? Nope now that I know who you are I can no longer help. Hopefully someone else can guide you.
I know it is my fault. I am trying to figure out how. If you want to help you can just read my husbandry and tell me what I’m doing wrong, if you don’t want to help then do whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom