Is this info sheet correct ??

Thechamdad

Can anyone tell me out of interest if this Veiled Chameleon care sheet is correct and is giving my cham vegs amd fruit double dosing since the feeders get vegs and fruits as well bit not the same all the time???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-222641_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-222641_Reddit.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 47
Its "debated". The edgy folk want to say that they get no nutritional value out of the veg and they just do it out of survival habit (eat veg to not starve during dry season).

But here is my thought process:

If you put something in your pie hole, its either going to be oxidized, temporarily stored then oxidized, or come out the other end undigested. In the case of veiled eating everything in the well planted cages, its not coming out the other end undigested.

And no you are not double dosing. The food in the food is already partially digested, and it would take a massive amount of fat soluble vitamins in the bug diet to harm the cham, and odds are the bugs would not eat it.

But veg is a great way to keep them hydrated.

PS: plenty of the photo/video contest winners are veileds murdering flowers.

Can anyone tell me out of interest if this Veiled Chameleon care sheet is correct and is giving my cham vegs amd fruit double dosing since the feeders get vegs and fruits as well bit not the same all the time???
It is pretty much on point. This is a good site to learn from as well. https://chameleonacademy.com/

I do not believe in feeding Veileds anything other than insects. While they will eat fruit and veg they also will eat pretty much anything. This does not mean it is good. Fruit is believed to not be good for the simple fact that it is high in sugars and they could have issues with that over time. Veg to me is pointless to feed because they will eat their plants when they want the roughage. So properly gutloaded insects supplemented correctly and veiled tested plants to ensure they are munching on something safe when they want to.

Bill Strand just posted a new and updated guide for veiled chameleon care!

Attachments

• 58F08199-851E-443F-B9A7-4BF516103724.jpeg
    58F08199-851E-443F-B9A7-4BF516103724.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 7C63D4BC-2870-4F86-B66D-671C1C2BD0D9.jpeg
    7C63D4BC-2870-4F86-B66D-671C1C2BD0D9.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 49
  • E09BB5B0-A5CD-4425-89CA-AC21FFD5F99A.jpeg
    E09BB5B0-A5CD-4425-89CA-AC21FFD5F99A.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 21BB3AD2-96E7-4AB5-8520-DA8BE2148530.jpeg
    21BB3AD2-96E7-4AB5-8520-DA8BE2148530.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 9D894D19-DA7E-40F9-B506-B54E6FC33C80.jpeg
    9D894D19-DA7E-40F9-B506-B54E6FC33C80.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 52
Bill Strand just posted a new and updated guide for veiled chameleon care!
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

plants. Veiled Chameleons are one of the few chameleon species that are known to graze on their cage plants. In the wild, their food, as babies, is reported to consist of caterpillars and soft food items. The plant matter is used as roughage to help the mass move through the digestive system. One common hypothesis is that Veiled Chameleons get moisture from the leaves. This does not make logical sense as Veiled Chameleons are alive only during the wet season. There is no reason to need to eat plants for moisture. As far as getting nutrients from the plant matter, insects are plentiful so there is no nutrition that we know of that they need from these plants. So the roughage explanation is the most likely of our proposed reasons for Veiled Chameleons to eat plant matter. In your cage you may find your pothos or umbrella plant having a triangle bite taken out of it. This is normal and not dangerous. Though do not offer fruits. Even though Veiled Chameleons will eat greens and fruits they are not necessary to feed. Especially avoid feeding fruit which is filled with sugars.

Do not take the measure of what a Veiled Chameleon will eat to equal what is good for them. They will eat just about anything – even things that are not food. They are an eat first, ask questions later type animal.

There is much work being done to refine the female diet to keep them healthy and relieve them of infertile and oversized clutches of eggs. This exploration is in progress and the Chameleon Academy will be updated as more information is known. I reviewed this case in a podcast which you can listen to here

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

plants. Veiled Chameleons are one of the few chameleon species that are known to graze on their cage plants. In the wild, their food, as babies, is reported to consist of caterpillars and soft food items. The plant matter is used as roughage to help the mass move through the digestive system. One common hypothesis is that Veiled Chameleons get moisture from the leaves. This does not make logical sense as Veiled Chameleons are alive only during the wet season. There is no reason to need to eat plants for moisture. As far as getting nutrients from the plant matter, insects are plentiful so there is no nutrition that we know of that they need from these plants. So the roughage explanation is the most likely of our proposed reasons for Veiled Chameleons to eat plant matter. In your cage you may find your pothos or umbrella plant having a triangle bite taken out of it. This is normal and not dangerous. Though do not offer fruits. Even though Veiled Chameleons will eat greens and fruits they are not necessary to feed. Especially avoid feeding fruit which is filled with sugars.

Do not take the measure of what a Veiled Chameleon will eat to equal what is good for them. They will eat just about anything – even things that are not food. They are an eat first, ask questions later type animal.

There is much work being done to refine the female diet to keep them healthy and relieve them of infertile and oversized clutches of eggs. This exploration is in progress and the Chameleon Academy will be updated as more information is known. I reviewed this case in a podcast which you can listen to here
I don’t keep veileds, I was just posting this to help the op since I just saw this in a Facebook group :)

I don’t keep veileds, I was just posting this to help the op since I just saw this in a Facebook group :)

Ur first post had facebook, which for some reason was pulled, so i just used the link to the website of the same article.

As stated, you dont feed your veiled veg, certainly not a beardy salad or something. But i still will have a big leafy green from the garden on a chip clip. I figiure its better than nom noming on the potho etc.

Ur first post had facebook, which for some reason was pulled, so i just used the link to the website of the same article.

As stated, you dont feed your veiled veg, certainly not a beardy salad or something. But i still will have a big leafy green from the garden on a chip clip. I figiure its better than nom noming on the potho etc.
I realized it linked a post to a private Facebook group so I edited it to include the pictures instead. Sorry for any confusion haha!

Back
Top Bottom