Is this hopper safe to feed ?

Texas Ranger

Avid Member
Hey guys I caught a few of these hoppers and let them breed now I have some baby hoppers. They breed and hatched so fast I didnt even have time to see if they are safe for my chams to eat. Has anyone feed these hoppers befor or do you know what kind they are?
4thdaisypics018.jpg

4thdaisypics022.jpg

I have fed them to my pets too for awhile with not a problem that I could tell. Have you noticed they make a "crunch" noise as your reptiles chew them? One thing for sure, always cut the hind legs!

I have fed them to my pets too for awhile with not a problem that I could tell. Have you noticed they make a "crunch" noise as your reptiles chew them? One thing for sure, always cut the hind legs!

I havent feed any of them yet I didnt know if they were safe:confused:
How are your little Leos doing by the way?:D

^^They are doing fine. I have two so far. I'll post some pictures on that thread...

In one of your pics, the hopper has clearly regurged the "tobacco juice". If it were mine and my Chams, I would pass. Safe than sorry and all that.

How old is the one you have pictured? The markings on its legs give me reason to think it is more mature than some on the Bug Guide images ..the Bird Grasshoppers.. or it isn't a Bird at all and it is younger or hasn't got its full color on its legs. (I saw some others that looked a lot more like yours, but they had substantial red on their legs.)

Good Luck!

Tobacco juice is spit up by all orthoptera. Even crickets will do it. Lubbers eat a variety of toxic plants and can excrete toxins when disturbed. That grasshopper is safe.

I'm surprised that more chameleon keepers are not attempting to breed grasshoppers. They are more prolific, easier to breed/keep and almost more preferred food choice than mantis.

Back
Top Bottom