Baby hoppers, started hatching.

I just hatched out a bunch of Schistocerca nitens, in my garage, in a container of sand, no heat, only sprayed the sand with water once. Temps ranged from 70-80. Took the eggs about 60 days to hatch. I’ve heard that sometimes they lay eggs that need a winter diapause, but not sure.
Congrats on your new hopper brood.

Congrats on your new hopper brood.
Yeah this was my first successful attempt. I had purchased gray bird hoppers in the past but only one female out of the group actually laid eggs, and they never hatched.

This time I caught some wild gray bird hoppers, and put them in a screen cage with a basking light and a couple containers of sand. They successfully mated and at least 2 females laid eggs. 60 days later babies! Hoping to raise these up and get a real culture going, and have semi continuous hoppers as feeders for my chams and other animals.

Yeah this was my first successful attempt. I had purchased gray bird hoppers in the past but only one female out of the group actually laid eggs, and they never hatched.

This time I caught some wild gray bird hoppers, and put them in a screen cage with a basking light and a couple containers of sand. They successfully mated and at least 2 females laid eggs. 60 days later babies! Hoping to raise these up and get a real culture going, and have semi continuous hoppers as feeders for my chams and other animals.
I'm located in texas. I've had my Breeder Graybirds since November. There was very little mating.
There were 2 instances of eggs laid outside of the laybin. Two weeks ago, I moved my Graybirds outside. Temps have been in the 80-90 range. I just checked on the hoppers and found this!

Attachments

• 20240526_141201.jpg
    20240526_141201.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 4

I'm located in Texas. Temps 80-90 degrees. I moved my Graybirds outside 2 weeks ago. I just found eggs!
20240526_141201.jpg

I'm located in texas. I've had my Breeder Graybirds since November. There was very little mating.
There were 2 instances of eggs laid outside of the laybin. Two weeks ago, I moved my Graybirds outside. Temps have been in the 80-90 range. I just checked on the hoppers and found this!
Nice! And I too kept mine outdoors last summer, hoping they’d behave more naturally and make babies- plus save on my already hefty electric bill in Southern California during the summer.
I may place mine outdoors again soon.

Back
Top Bottom