Is This Grasshopper Safe to Feed to My Cham?

Both have the bright don't eat me, I'm poisonous colors. But I don't know the answer. I'd try to find out what the grasshoppers are eating in the wild. Some Lubers eat/feed on a pond algae that's toxic when young.

That's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't even touch those things.

Both the colored and the black grasshoppers are Lubbers, which are poisonous; the black one is just at an earlier stage of life but is still poisounous. I wish they weren't though because I see them all the time where I live.

DO NOT FEED TO ANYTHING!! I know this is from years ago, I just wanted to ask if you gave the lubber to your cham? I hope not. I'm 99% positive they are very toxic. The only bird that eats them does so by pinning them to a fence or sharp post and allowing the toxins to dry out for 24 hours or more. They effectively remove the toxins BEFORE they eat the lubber. And these are LUBBER GRASSHOPPER. I love them personally, but not as feeders. Very bad idea!!!! They are called lubbers be ause they are rather clumsy. Too big to hop far or high, they rather take small hops and often trip over grass blades. They have wings but are too fat to use them for flying. The wings are a bright red and they display them when they are agitated. Also calable of releasing an irritant foul smelling liquid. But most creatures already know to stay far away because their coloring is a warning. They are an awesome grasshopper to have as they are very neat (huge and cannot bite) but strictly for companionship, not for feeding.

NOOOOO @jannb!That is a lubber! Literally the only hopper species in NA that is toxic, it will kill your Cham!

@jannb i diddnt take the time to read others comments I hope I’m not too late!

Lol I thought it was very strange for Jan to be asking a question like this but I panicked and instantly switched into damage control mode!

I’m on vacation and it’s early! I blame @PeaceOfZen for bringing it back from the dead!
Yep I saw the thread and I was like oooohhh this could be an interesting read...nope 8 years old haha

In southeast GA we have the
NOOOOO @jannb!That is a lubber! Literally the only hopper species in NA that is toxic, it will kill your Cham!

@jannb i diddnt take the time to read others comments I hope I’m not too late!
Ya we late as hell!! Seeing someone contemplating feeding a lubber to a cham causes an urgent knee jerk reaction!! "NOOOOOOOO!!" perfectly put

Attachments

• 2334.jpeg
    2334.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 140
Pretty sure theyre both lubbers and both a no go. Any combo of black, red, and yellow can be toxic (or pretending to be toxic). As my mamma always said, if it isn’t green, it probably isn’t good for you.

Ok she didn’t really say that, she just snuck the green stuff in my food.

Back
Top Bottom