Is this common for anyone else?

JamesB88

Established Member
So I've had my mistking set up for a few months now and my Cham will run through the mist from time to time but he usually goes to his safe spot and hides. Prior to the mistking I just used a dripper, and spray bottle.

Recently I set the dripper back up due to dehydrated poops just to see if he would drink from it and just as another means of a water source, plus a couple added horned worms to reverse his dehydration. So I have caught my Cham drinking from his dripper much more than lapping up water from the leaves from the mistking. I was just wondering if anyone else's Cham prefers a dripper, just seemed a bit odd to me since I would rather just have the mistking as his main source, I'm not a fan of the dripper due to crap valves and they're just an overal headache to adjust to the right drip.

So does anyone else Cham prefer a dripper? Just curious?

You can easily get a better valve system for about $5 at a home improvement store. Every chameleon is different. Some love mist and fog, some avoid it. Some can be seen lapping up water, some you wonder how they are alive, because you never see them actually drinking. If your chameleon prefers the dripper, that's what you should use and the MistKing came be used for eye cleaning and humidity. MistKing may also carry nozzles that drip, rather than mist, but I'm not certain of this. I created an automated drip system, that works like a MistKing, but hood to my faucet and never needs refilling. Check out dripworks.com

So I've had my mistking set up for a few months now and my Cham will run through the mist from time to time but he usually goes to his safe spot and hides. Prior to the mistking I just used a dripper, and spray bottle.

Recently I set the dripper back up due to dehydrated poops just to see if he would drink from it and just as another means of a water source, plus a couple added horned worms to reverse his dehydration. So I have caught my Cham drinking from his dripper much more than lapping up water from the leaves from the mistking. I was just wondering if anyone else's Cham prefers a dripper, just seemed a bit odd to me since I would rather just have the mistking as his main source, I'm not a fan of the dripper due to crap valves and they're just an overal headache to adjust to the right drip.

I think that is pretty normal. My Veiled does the same thing. I am hoping that he will adjust to the misting system and learn to enjoy it but for now I supplement with the dripper.

Mine does do a ton of drinking in front of me, but what I have seen He LOVES just sitting under his dripper and just let it drip for hours on him.I know that must be how he is getting most of his water. And occasionally he shoots at dripping water. Very rarely do I see him lick leaves.

You can easily get a better valve system for about $5 at a home improvement store. Every chameleon is different. Some love mist and fog, some avoid it. Some can be seen lapping up water, some you wonder how they are alive, because you never see them actually drinking. If your chameleon prefers the dripper, that's what you should use and the MistKing came be used for eye cleaning and humidity. MistKing may also carry nozzles that drip, rather than mist, but I'm not certain of this. I created an automated drip system, that works like a MistKing, but hood to my faucet and never needs refilling. Check out dripworks.com
Yeah I added a metal air valve to the dripper to make it easier to adjust, and I agree I bought the mistking as his main source of water/humidity/eye cleansing/hygiene, so I guess now it can just be used for humidity and hygiene purposes. I'll check out dripworks I'm kinda interested to see some new ideas. Thanks for the input my curiosity of my Cham liking his dripper rather than his mistking got the best of me lol!

I think that is pretty normal. My Veiled does the same thing. I am hoping that he will adjust to the misting system and learn to enjoy it but for now I supplement with the dripper.
Yeah I guess dripper it is. Glad my chams not the only jerk that doesn't enjoy his mistking lol!

Mine does do a ton of drinking in front of me, but what I have seen He LOVES just sitting under his dripper and just let it drip for hours on him.I know that must be how he is getting most of his water. And occasionally he shoots at dripping water. Very rarely do I see him lick leaves.
Yeah when I first got my Cham all I had was a dripper and hand misting, he would drink strait from the dripper when I would actually see this phenomenon lol. Since all his cage upgrades and mistking within the past 3 1/2 months he still prefers his dripper, he will occasionally open his mouth and run through the mist but this is very rare.

Maybe the water in the reservoir to the mistking is not warm enough lol? I've heard of people adding a water heater to there's but I'm skeptical of how the water stays warm running through a pump and at least 6ft of tubing and being compressed through a nozzle! This would be on the lines of spoiling my Cham lol but if anyone's got some input on this let's hear it! If anyone heats there water I'd like to hear how your Cham reacts to this, rather than room temp water.

Maybe the water in the reservoir to the mistking is not warm enough lol? I've heard of people adding a water heater to there's but I'm skeptical of how the water stays warm running through a pump and at least 6ft of tubing and being compressed through a nozzle! This would be on the lines of spoiling my Cham lol but if anyone's got some input on this let's hear it! If anyone heats there water I'd like to hear how your Cham reacts to this, rather than room temp water.
As soon as the water is atomized into mist all of the energy (heat) from the warm water is almost instantly released into the air. I have tried hand misting with warm water but even those bigger droplets seem to cool before they hit the surface.

Yeah when I first got my Cham all I had was a dripper and hand misting, he would drink strait from the dripper when I would actually see this phenomenon lol. Since all his cage upgrades and mistking within the past 3 1/2 months he still prefers his dripper, he will occasionally open his mouth and run through the mist but this is very rare.
Same here with the mistings.

Back
Top Bottom