Is this color okay?

zeuszooter

my 3 mo male panther chameleon has been pretty okay, this is just a darker brown than i usually have seen him. i’m also worried he has been closing his eyes more. thoughts??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 117
@Gingero i think so. i put “
This is Zeus my 3 month old panther chameleon. I got his yesterday. I am handling him about once a day for about 20 minutes. He hasn't eaten since coming to the new enclosure but what i have set out for him is some super worms and small crickets dusted in calcium with out d3. im not sure what schedule to set up for him yet because he hasn’t eaten. i’m also not sure on what gut-loading food i should have him try. the supplements i have for him is the repti calcium without d3 and then some with d3. For his watering i have a dropper going all day that leads into a leaf. i also have a humidifier going that’s keeping the humidity 70-80 percent with his temperature around 70. i mist once in the morning and once before turning off the lights. he has been drinking from the leaf. i haven’t seen any droppings yet.
For his cage i have in a 18x18x36 screen, and i have plexiglass in two sides to keep humility. i have an 18 in uvb 10 watt light across the cage and a normal blue light. i have a couple of fake vines across the cage and one main live plant. i might need to change this one out because it’s not doing too well with the heat lamp. i have my cage next to my door, not near any windows or vents and the cage is about a foot off the ground. I am having a hard time maintaining humility because i’m from utah hahah. if you have ANY suggestions or advice that would be wonderful!! i love this little guy so much already and want the best for him.” i have turned up the humidity to 85% but temp is still staying at 70 degrees. he ate one worm yesterday, but nothing since i have gotten him (3 days ago)

yes, i’m just starting to get worried if he is “sleeping” through out the day, not eating and getting dark.

Did the breeder say if he’s been tested for parasites?
I’m not terribly familiar with panthers, but I believe 85% humidity is much too high.

@MissSkittles I did not ask, but i could text and see. and that is what i thought and i asked my vet friend and she said 85 was too low for humidity but earlier on here i was told that is too high. haha so i don’t know where to go from here

Oops! Nvm. I saw that you’ve reduced your humidity. Have you been able to get your temps higher? Chams will turn darker in attempts to absorb more heat. Without the right level of heat, they can’t properly digest their food, which can lead to not wanting to eat any more.

@MissSkittles I did not ask, but i could text and see. and that is what i thought and i asked my vet friend and she said 85 was too low for humidity but earlier on here i was told that is too high. haha so i don’t know where to go from here
Perhaps in the wild they do have higher humidity, but they also have endless ventilation. I believe this is what leads to the varied opinions. In captive setting, they need moderate humidity around 40-50% I believe.

I'd also try offering feeders like wax worms and BSFL. He really is very skinny. You should not be able to see his hip and tail bones like that.

@Gingero ok that’s what i thought too when i bought him from the breeder. i’ll stop by the store today and give him some. should i be concerned if he doesn’t eat them today?

I wouldn't start worrying about him not eating until it has been over a week. Chameleons can go weeks without eating. My panther Neptune went almost 3 weeks without eating and he is still a happy camper. A little more concerning since your guy is so fragile right now. You're not trying to watch him eat right? How are you feeding him? Cup feeder? Just tossing crickets in? And I can't remember if you said how big the bugs are... make sure they are not too big.

i’m not watching him eat, i have a cup out with some food but he doesn’t seem interested in that at all. i’m going to try some small crickets today and see if that helps.

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum, it has been incredible useful to me. When I first got my male veiled chameleon he was very hesitant to eat when I was around his terrarium. I tried a few things I.E. letting them lose and a bowl, but it never really got him to eat well enough. I saw somewhere on here that you can make a kind of feeder cup with a climbable wall for your bugs. Its pretty simple to make just a plastic water bottle and some fabric. Id just be careful about getting it wet as it gets covered with bug guts lol. A few holes in the bottom is what I ended up doing. I also used a hot glue gun to keep the fabric in place so that the bugs cant climb behind it or anything. Best wishes for your baby.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 110
I wouldn't start worrying about him not eating until it has been over a week. Chameleons can go weeks without eating. My panther Neptune went almost 3 weeks without eating and he is still a happy camper. A little more concerning since your guy is so fragile right now. You're not trying to watch him eat right? How are you feeding him? Cup feeder? Just tossing crickets in? And I can't remember if you said how big the bugs are... make sure they are not too big.
yeah, but by the looks of him, it looks like it has been more than just a week without eating. It's not like he is normal weight and just stopped eating. he is already underfed AND he is not eating. Also i'm pretty sure juveniles can't and shouldn't go without food as long as adult chams.

Back
Top Bottom