Is this behavior natural?

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
So I moved Monty into his big boy cage today (2x2x4) yay!

I put 1 cricket in there and misted his cage. He drank some, but he seemed nervous.

I moved the lights on top of his cage so he could bask and see in the cage (my room is kinda dark without the basking light on lol that thing lights the whole room)

And now he is crawling all over the screen! Is this normal? I would guess for his exploration he'd just crawl on the many sticks I placed in there for him, but no, he is using the screen (after ripping out a nail already).

Is this normal for them to use the screen to get a better view when they're not comfortable with a new environment?

I am not sure if it is to get a better view, but yes it is normal and they will crawl all around the screen.

I am not sure if it is to get a better view, but yes it is normal and they will crawl all around the screen.

Okay good.

Are you sure it's okay though? I don't want him ripping out another nail.

I guess it's fine.

I just looked over at him, and he was staring at a stick and then he just suddenly bolted out and started running on the other stick. What a silly boy.

Yeah, its normal, I hand plastic fencing on the interior walls so they have something else to hang onto besides the screen. I can post a pic of it when I get home if your interested

Yeah, its normal, I hand plastic fencing on the interior walls so they have something else to hang onto besides the screen. I can post a pic of it when I get home if your interested

I'd be glad if you'd show me.

I'm not sure what plastic fencing is. Is it just REALLY big kind of thick-ish mesh? Made of rubbery stuff?

I think I've seen it at some gardening places before.

I'd be glad if you'd show me.

I'm not sure what plastic fencing is. Is it just REALLY big kind of thick-ish mesh? Made of rubbery stuff?

I think I've seen it at some gardening places before.

Sure,

well this is the exact plastic fencing I have, I got it from home depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-2-ft-x-25-ft-Green-Home-Fence-783060/100384024#.UaVZTm2mXfI

1 roll has enough to do 2 full cages at the standard size of 2x2x4 with a little extra left over. (fyi, its about 3-4 inches to wide, so you also have to trim it "one link" in width for the lenth of each wall) but it only takes about 30 min or so to cut them all to size, and hang them off the top cross bars with some steel bead wire.

This is what one of my enclosures look like with it in it,

Sure,

well this is the exact plastic fencing I have, I got it from home depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-2-ft-x-25-ft-Green-Home-Fence-783060/100384024#.UaVZTm2mXfI

1 roll has enough to do 2 full cages at the standard size of 2x2x4 with a little extra left over. (fyi, its about 3-4 inches to wide, so you also have to trim it "one link" in width for the lenth of each wall) but it only takes about 30 min or so to cut them all to size, and hang them off the top cross bars with some steel bead wire.

This is what one of my enclosures look like with it in it,

Looks cool! I'll try it out sometime. I have the cage already set up but if he continues to do this I'll have to install something.

I'll save the link to Home Depot store just in case.

Jake started doing this recently...I took it as a sign that he wanted to go outside. So I took him, and he seemed to be calmer when he came back in. :p

Jake started doing this recently...I took it as a sign that he wanted to go outside. So I took him, and he seemed to be calmer when he came back in. :p

I will be taking Monty outside soon. As soon as he crawls out on my hand I will take him outside to bask :)

Back
Top Bottom