Is this a normal/okay sleeping position?

animjason

Hope these images work. One in better light than the other. He recently started sleeping by resting on his chest, and holding his own hands. Just want to see if this is normal because it is comfortable, or a sign of weakness. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180729_200648.jpg
    20180729_200648.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 20180709_191446.jpg
    20180709_191446.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 232
I know it looks cute...but I would definitely keep an eye on it. I had a male that did a similar thing but with his back legs, turned out he had early stages of MBD. Thankfully he made it after a prescribed liquid calcium regimen. IF he has trouble walking or gripping with his front feet, I would definitely take him to the vet for a check up.

Agreed with @Wowbango I dont mean any offense to some of the newer members, but often people will mistake something as being cute when it's actually a potentially serious problem. I really don't think people should post about something as an adorable quirk if they're not sure it's not a health problem. This could cause the OP to shrug it off, only to end up with a dead chameleon down the road. And that would suck because your chameleon is beautiful!

I’ve never seen mine do anything like that not sure if it’s a health problem or not but I would probably take it to the vet after reading these last 2 post

Mine sometimes does this but It’d be like with one little arm hanging on and not the other. I checked up on him that day and he’s fine, moves around everywhere and has a good grip! See if he does the same because your chameleon is beautiful *o*

How's his lighting and calcium? Me might be resting them due to early phase MBD. Front legs look a little off. IDK just my thoughts. I usually question things like this too. I have 5 panthers and only seen one of the males do that a hand full of times of a few years, so if it's rare maybe he's just resting his arms.

How's his lighting and calcium? Me might be resting them due to early phase MBD. Front legs look a little off. IDK just my thoughts. I usually question things like this too. I have 5 panthers and only seen one of the males do that a hand full of times of a few years, so if it's rare maybe he's just resting his arms.
I have three lights. UVA, UVB, and grow light. Recently changed out the light bar, so that is fresh. The bulb seems to burn out fast, so that is always fresh haha. I do calcium powder every other day (he doesn't eat every day), and the one with additional vitamins every two weeks. He did have a touch of Gular Edema a month or two ago, but we were able to clear that on our own with help from our local pet store (legit, not PetSmart lol). I checked out his legs this morning. The pics make them appear weirder than in person, but they do appear a little swollen. Grip is good, but not as strong as back legs. Definitely due for a vet visit to be safe.

Do you use a calcium supplement that has vitamin D3 in it, too? You only mention calcium and you need to be giving Vit D3 twice a week.

Also, do any of those bulbs produce heat..?

Do you use a calcium supplement that has vitamin D3 in it, too? You only mention calcium and you need to be giving Vit D3 twice a week.

Also, do any of those bulbs produce heat..?

Yes, the D3 is the one I do every two weeks. I was told several times that weekly was too much. Blood work may change this need. Bulbs keep the cage at a gradient of 92F top branch to 65F middle.

Yes, the D3 is the one I do every two weeks. I was told several times that weekly was too much. Blood work may change this need. Bulbs keep the cage at a gradient of 92F top branch to 65F middle.

Oh gotcha. Well you are still missing a critical supplement then. In addition to the two calcium supplements, you also need to dust the feeders with a multivitamin twice a month (just to be super duper clear, the multivitamin is NOT the same thing as the calcium+D3)

Oh gotcha. Well you are still missing a critical supplement then. In addition to the two calcium supplements, you also need to dust the feeders with a multivitamin twice a month (just to be super duper clear, the multivitamin is NOT the same thing as the calcium+D3)
Ah, I will need to check the bottles when I get home to make sure. I believe the D3 is also the multivit, which means I am not doing enough of those and need a bottle with vitamins and without D3 to keep the frequencies in check, thanks.

Ah, I will need to check the bottles when I get home to make sure. I believe the D3 is also the multivit, which means I am not doing enough of those and need a bottle with vitamins and without D3 to keep the frequencies in check, thanks.

Yep! Here's what I use, just in case:
Multi: https://www.amazon.com/HERPTIVITE-M...TF8&qid=1533234928&sr=8-1&keywords=herptivite
Calcium: https://www.amazon.com/Rep-Cal-SRP0...ie=UTF8&qid=1533234936&sr=8-4&keywords=repcal
Calcium +D3: https://www.amazon.com/Rep-Cal-SRP0...ie=UTF8&qid=1533234936&sr=8-1&keywords=repcal

I have not seen the front hand like that but it is the most adorable thing I have ever seen haha. Mine lays like that but is still holding on.

Back
Top Bottom