is this a good or extremely bad idea?

Curlytails

Established Member
I have been working with reptiles with a family member for my whole life. watching my relative breed and raise reptiles is what got me into this hobby. as a young child i remember helping to move eggs in the incubator etc.I have fallen in love with chameleons and would like to breed my OWN animal for the first time. I am aware that i will have to prepare months in advance but if any of you with any experience could help me out it will be greatly appreciated.

I think it's probably a rewarding experience, but I probably wouldn't breed veileds. Theres not enough homes for them as it is.
understood. i dont want to put any any animals life over my personal enjoyment. is there anything i can breed that would be easier to rehome. doesnt have to be a chameleon...

In the UK, statistically more people keep reptiles than those keeping cats and dogs.

You might still be able to breed veileds and sell all of them there. Ask some breeders for their opinion on what their experience of selling baby veileds has been. Otherwise, I'm sure you might be able to sell Panthers and carpet chameleons quite easily there. The species I see that are readily available there are Panthers, veileds, hoehneliis and xantholophus jacksons. To a lesser extent i have seen lateralis, parsonii, meruomontanus and jacksonii Jackson's, quadricornis and thamnobates made available.

But you should do your 'market research' before breeding anything really. You don't want to sit with tons of babies that won't sell.

In the UK, statistically more people keep reptiles than those keeping cats and dogs.

You might still be able to breed veileds and sell all of them there. Ask some breeders for their opinion on what their experience of selling baby veileds has been. Otherwise, I'm sure you might be able to sell Panthers and carpet chameleons quite easily there. The species I see that are readily available there are Panthers, veileds, hoehneliis and xantholophus jacksons. To a lesser extent i have seen lateralis, parsonii, meruomontanus and jacksonii Jackson's, quadricornis and thamnobates made available.

But you should do your 'market research' before breeding anything really. You don't want to sit with tons of babies that won't sell.
there is a demand for them as far as i know and they run for large sums (even more for panthers). my veiled male cost me 100 dollars US in a reptile breeder store. and pathers cost up to 450. there is a market for them but i dont want to be giving animals to the wrong homes.

I’m in the u.k and I would love to breed something one day but I won’t, I found out my veiled was bought in wholesale bulk for £3, some I see advertised for £15 or £20, corn snakes for £10, even panthers are available for much less than a few years ago and each time the price goes down and the rescues go up, from experience owners of much rarer species trying to sell them and from what I could see here in the u.k there wasn’t a ready market for them, I have told this story before that the owner of my parsonii spent months trying to sell them, I imagined that they’re would be a rush for such a rare species, I’ve seen mellerii for sale and the owner again had very little luck selling privately and ended up selling to a pet shop, even smaller species don’t seem to sell as quickly as I would of thought, maybe I am wrong.
I understand if other people want to breed but personally I don’t want to add to the already overcrowded veiled market when I could find them advertised on gumtree sold far too cheaply and maybe sold to the wrong hands or found needing a home in a reptile rescue.
So although I’d love to see eggs hatch and I can imagine the joy of watching them grow but it would be tainted by knowing I had the responsibility to find them knowledge homes, so I’m going to enjoy what I have as adult animals and care for them as best I can. There’s always a lot of work and fun to be had.
Good luck in your decision.

I’m in the u.k and I would love to breed something one day but I won’t, I found out my veiled was bought in wholesale bulk for £3, some I see advertised for £15 or £20, corn snakes for £10, even panthers are available for much less than a few years ago and each time the price goes down and the rescues go up, from experience owners of much rarer species trying to sell them and from what I could see here in the u.k there wasn’t a ready market for them, I have told this story before that the owner of my parsonii spent months trying to sell them, I imagined that they’re would be a rush for such a rare species, I’ve seen mellerii for sale and the owner again had very little luck selling privately and ended up selling to a pet shop, even smaller species don’t seem to sell as quickly as I would of thought, maybe I am wrong.
I understand if other people want to breed but personally I don’t want to add to the already overcrowded veiled market when I could find them advertised on gumtree sold far too cheaply and maybe sold to the wrong hands or found needing a home in a reptile rescue.
So although I’d love to see eggs hatch and I can imagine the joy of watching them grow but it would be tainted by knowing I had the responsibility to find them knowledge homes, so I’m going to enjoy what I have as adult animals and care for them as best I can. There’s always a lot of work and fun to be had.
Good luck in your decision.
the cons outweigh the pros... im going to put the animals first and not breed chameleons... i hate it when a species becomes industrialised. hobbyists lose a large part of the hobby. im gonna have to take my time and find something in high demand.

It’s a shame because I know the joy of seeing new life but for me it wouldn’t be right, but that’s just me,
Maybe if it wasn’t Chameleons, maybe leopard geckos which seem to have a good following and they have far far fewer babies to rehome?

It’s a shame because I know the joy of seeing new life but for me it wouldn’t be right, but that’s just me,
Maybe if it wasn’t Chameleons, maybe leopard geckos which seem to have a good following and they have far far fewer babies to rehome?
might have to mess around with a few morphs. i have a gecko expert available to me:)

Lol, that’s good news,
Veiled have such big clutches I can’t imagine so many little babies but at least it seems doable to find a couple of friends that would have of little leopard gecko babies.
Good luck! :)

Lol, that’s good news,
Veiled have such big clutches I can’t imagine so many little babies but at least it seems doable to find a couple of friends that would have of little leopard gecko babies.
Good luck! :)
thanks for the advice. i never knew chameleons were mass produced in the uk.

If you're willing to keep both male and female of a species and not breed them I'd get those, breed once, enjoy the experience and see how you can rehome them then go from there.
I would also not breed veileds, probably I'd go for a Panther chameleon because they are popular enough to be able to find a home, yet their price is high enough for you to brake even or maybe make a small proffit, or a Jacksonii Xanth as they are great to keep, not to difficult and don't lay eggs.

I agree with @Twitchet , chameleons have a reputation to be difficult, non-beginner reptiles so they will likely have less of a market than your entry-level reptiles.
It could be easier for you to start breeding a smaller entry-level reptile, like leo's, or crested gecko's.

If you decide to breed them it would probably be a good idea to hand the people a copy of a caresheet and maybe a link to this site so that even if they aren't that experienced you will send them away with all info they could need.

If you're willing to keep both male and female of a species and not breed them I'd get those, breed once, enjoy the experience and see how you can rehome them then go from there.
I would also not breed veileds, probably I'd go for a Panther chameleon because they are popular enough to be able to find a home, yet their price is high enough for you to brake even or maybe make a small proffit, or a Jacksonii Xanth as they are great to keep, not to difficult and don't lay eggs.

I agree with @Twitchet , chameleons have a reputation to be difficult, non-beginner reptiles so they will likely have less of a market than your entry-level reptiles.
It could be easier for you to start breeding a smaller entry-level reptile, like leo's, or crested gecko's.

If you decide to breed them it would probably be a good idea to hand the people a copy of a caresheet and maybe a link to this site so that even if they aren't that experienced you will send them away with all info they could need.
i would love to but im thinking of the welfare of the animals over everything. also the competition of the wholesalers is too large. i wouldnt want any animal to be in anything but the best conditions. maybe in the future when i get my reptile room.

Good advice as always @remko
Yes crested are a good idea too and very cute! Good entry level for offspring to be homed.
My veiled was bought from Europe so I don’t know about mass production but seems like there’s always plenty for sale.

i would love to but im thinking of the welfare of the animals over everything. also the competition of the wholesalers is too large. i wouldnt want any animal to be in anything but the best conditions. maybe in the future when i get my reptile room.
LOL, starts off with a room! Then it’s a purpose made reptile shed! :LOL:
I remember the day I said I’ll just have one leopard gecko and leave it at that!:rolleyes: No more! :ROFLMAO:

I think it's probably a rewarding experience, but I probably wouldn't breed veileds. Theres not enough homes for them as it is.

I will be a home for one. Haha .

It seems like here in California finding a veiled outside of petsmart is a challenge. I used the link to find breeders in my area and all there seems to be are Panthers. Even the local petstore is out of veiled.

I wish @jannb was still at it. Love the red lines.

i would love to breed chameleons to increase my knowledge and understanding of them but the industry is taking over the reptile hobby. @JoshD49 you can always come pick one up from the uk:). mabye add diversity to the small gene pool.

Honestly I could see myself end up having more then one once I get going and even breed them possibly. I have been doing a lot of reading and research and making sure I will be able to handle them and have been so into them and I don't even own one yet haha.

Back
Top Bottom