Is there something wrong or just a bit of pudge?

I'm worried that there is something wrong with Karma, he has this bulge near the base of his tail when he is hanging on is the rope. It disappears when he is moving around or sits horizontally on a branch. I just want to make sure there nothing wrong
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6735.JPG
IMG_6734.JPG

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, and 5-6 months. He was when 2-3 months when I got him on 2/27/20 from FL Chams.
  • Handling – I don’t handle him often, maybe once or twice a month
  • Feeding –10-20 crickets (depends on what else he gets that day), in a feeder cup, so I can track how much he eats. The crickets get Fluker’s products, apples, potatos, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. One a month with Herptivite, and same with Repti Calcium with D3, then Calcium dusted cricket almost everyday the rest of the month (sometimes I forget). I add some medium dubias and super worms. A couple a few times a week, more dubias than SW. I also offer him various leafy greens, depending on what I have available.
  • Supplements - Herptivite, Repti Calcium with D3, and Calcium
  • Watering – Mistking. 2 minutes x 4 times a day. I do not see him chameleon drink. Hand-Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants, 1-2x a week for about a minute near the roots of the plants and I will mist down the other side of the cage that doesn’t get wet normally.]
  • Fecal Description – Looks great, good and white with good bowl movements.
  • History – hes had 2 sheds with me and jumped away from me and hit the floor twice 2 weeks ago (4.20.20) when I was trying to get him back in the cage. I watched him closely and everything seemed fine.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Screen 24x24x48 (reptibreeze xl)
  • Lighting – 8 am-8 pm, Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 14", Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture with 5.5-Inch Dome, Heat Lamp 100W Infrared Ceramic Heating Non-light, Zoo Med Desert UVB & Heat Lighting Dual Dome Lamp Fixture, Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs - 100 Watt, Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp
  • Temperature – 70F-95F, Night: 15C (that I’ve seen), Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge, Zoo Med Digital Thermometer, JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge]
  • Humidity – 50-70% (Usually about 60%) JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge], Hand Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants], Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge
  • Plants – A golden pothos hanging from the top of the cage. A bougainvillea and a small Croton in the bottom of the cage.
  • Placement – The cage is in the corner of the sun room away from evry thing. We only pass him if we go to my desk or come over to look at him. The top of the cage is about 6’6 sitting on top of a dog crate that se doesn’t use that often.
  • Location – Summerville, SC.

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp . You can get rid of that, its not doing anything.
Heat Lamp 100W Infrared Ceramic Heating Non-light you can get rid of that unless your cage air temps are in the 60's

You can pop in a wide flood halogen into one of those spots for basking.

You need to up your gut load game, potatoes and apples are not very good gut loads. There are plenty of good recipes on the site. Or you could make it simple and just buy "spring mix" from the foodlion. Dark leafy greens etc, maybe some cheap fruit if its on sale. I just give my the peels :)

It may be an edema. It may be from a lack of vit A. But i would not be too worried unless its still there in a few weeks. Id start by changing the above and see if it goes away. Edema can come and go, its a process indicator, not really a health concern in itself.

Yeah I am pretty sure your talking about the little man's "package" this is totally normal. It is where his hemipenes are located.

@nightanole said..."It may be an edema. It may be from a lack of vit A. But i would not be too worried unless its still there in a few weeks. Id start by changing the above and see if it goes away. Edema can come and go"... Edema at the base of the tail can be from vitamin A??

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp . You can get rid of that, its not doing anything.
Heat Lamp 100W Infrared Ceramic Heating Non-light you can get rid of that unless your cage air temps are in the 60's

You can pop in a wide flood halogen into one of those spots for basking.

You need to up your gut load game, potatoes and apples are not very good gut loads. There are plenty of good recipes on the site. Or you could make it simple and just buy "spring mix" from the foodlion. Dark leafy greens etc, maybe some cheap fruit if its on sale. I just give my the peels :)

It may be an edema. It may be from a lack of vit A. But i would not be too worried unless its still there in a few weeks. Id start by changing the above and see if it goes away. Edema can come and go, its a process indicator, not really a health concern in itself.

Is the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp not even helpful for the plants?

And I got the Ceramic Heat Lamp because I couldn't get my hot spot above 70, then I changed from a 60 to 100 and add the Ceramic Heat Lamp. I might try a wide flood halogen when this heat spot dyes.

And I will look into that, thanks

Yeah I am pretty sure your talking about the little man's "package" this is totally normal. It is where his hemipenes are located.

While his hemipenes has differently grown it seems a bit swollen as well, I don't know if this is just from growth or me just being unfamiliar with chameleon genital sizes lol.

Also appreciate you being willing to point this out because 5 months ago I didnt know what that was

@nightanole said..."It may be an edema. It may be from a lack of vit A. But i would not be too worried unless its still there in a few weeks. Id start by changing the above and see if it goes away. Edema can come and go"... Edema at the base of the tail can be from vitamin A??

Vit A or edema in general can have fluid build up anywhere. I dont "see" the build up, so im not saying to change anything other than just get a good gut load. For all i know Op does like "the bulge" just like first timers wonder why certain hamsters butts look funny.

Is the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp not even helpful for the plants?

And I got the Ceramic Heat Lamp because I couldn't get my hot spot above 70, then I changed from a 60 to 100 and add the Ceramic Heat Lamp. I might try a wide flood halogen when this heat spot dyes.

And I will look into that, thanks

cfl is useless past a few inches. If you want plants, get a nice led plant grow light, then you dont have to worry about a cfl UVB bulb.

While his hemipenes has differently grown it seems a bit swollen as well, I don't know if this is just from growth or me just being unfamiliar with chameleon genital sizes lol.

Also appreciate you being willing to point this out because 5 months ago I didnt know what that was
Looks exactly like my boys.... I am not seeing abnormal swelling in the area... Maybe the others are seeing something I am not. I dunno. :hilarious:

Back
Top Bottom