Is there anywhere where chameleons like to be pet

I have 2 veiled chameleons,the bigger one let's me rub the top of his head between his eyes. He falls asleep when we do it. My baby is only 2 1/2 months old, he just always wants to climb on my finger when he sees it.

I have 2 veiled chameleons,the bigger one let's me rub the top of his head between his eyes. He falls asleep when we do it. My baby is only 2 1/2 months old, he just always wants to climb on my finger when he sees it.
Welcome to the forums @Lady wolfe

Your Cham is not falling asleep when you do this, he is shutting down from stress overload. Please discontinue this immediately.

Explain my previous comment a bit more...

In the wild, chams pretty much add up to bird food as far as the food chain is concerned. Where do these predators attack from? Above.

By placing your hand above their parietal eye/third eye your hands are being viewed as a predator. Also explains why your Cham is chill and walks to you when your hands are level/below him. Elevation is everything here.

Chams have evolved to panic whenever something appears unexpectedly from above, their instincts kick in and they usually take one of two routes:
1- jump off the branch to attempt an escape, called frisbee-ing,
or
2- shut down, close their eyes, and don’t move a muscle while internally screaming “I’m about to get eaten! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Epstein didn’t kill himself! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!“ and hope to blend in just enough so they are overlooked.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the forums.

Explain my previous comment a bit more...

In the wild, chams pretty much add up to bird food as far as the food chain is concerned. Where do these predators attack from? Above.

By placing your hand above their parietal eye/third eye your hands are being viewed as a predator. Also explains why your Cham is chill and walks to you when your hands are level/below him. Elevation is everything here.

Chams have evolved to panic whenever something appears unexpectedly from above, their instincts kick in and they usually take one of two routes:
1- jump off the branch to attempt an escape, called frisbee-ing,
or
2- shut down, close their eyes, and don’t move a muscle while internally screaming “I’m about to get eaten! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Epstein didn’t kill himself! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!“ and hope to blend in just enough so they are overlooked.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the forums.

Best explanation of a chameleon stressing the **** out I've ever read.

I agree with the coming from above thing mentioned. This isn't exclusive to chams either. For example, I believe dogs do not even like to be pet on their head, even though most people do and they simply tolerate it. Idt there is an animal or a person that would like someone grabbing them from overhead. Most predatory and dominance attacks come from above, whether it's a bite on the back of the neck, a hand, or a bird's talons

Back
Top Bottom