Is There /Anything/ Else I Need?

xVashtaNeradax

As stated in my below thread, I am getting ready to purchase my first panther chameleon this Friday (4/29/11) and am currently preparing his future home. I understand that I will need to buy a new cage in a few months to house him permanently, but this is all that I have so far...

All Screen Rearing Cage with the dimensions of 24'x12'x24' (Purchased from Kammerflage Kreations)

Reptivite w/ D3 and w/o D3 (I purchased these before I realized the issue between pro and pre-formed Vitamin A)

Rep-Cal w/o phosphorus or D3

Rep-Cal's Herptivite

Little Dripper (I will be purchasing a MISTKING system at the end of May to go into his adult enclosure)

Live Umbrella Tree (I will be adding a live Weeping Fig plant (Ficus Benjamina) this weekend)

Jungle Vines (Artificial)

ZOO-MED 5.0 UVB Reptisun Compact Bulb in ZOO-MED Dual Naturalistic Hood (Will be replacing this with a 18' 5.0 Reptisun tube light soon)

ZOO-MED 100w Basking Light set inside a ZOO-MED clamp lamp

I also have a live Anthurium that I was going to place inside the cage with the umbrella plant, but I have come to find out that though it is pretty with large water catching leaves it may be poisonous. Does anyone here have any experience with them in regards to chameleons?

Also, is there anything else I need to add to the list above before my chameleon arrives?

Thank all of you for your help and advice, I appreciate all of it.

-Vash

Edit: I also have humidity and temperature gauges, they are the round kind that adhere to the screen of the cage. I am toying around with the idea of buying a digital thermometer with a probe, but was concerned it would get in the way inside the enclosure.

you might find that 100 watt is too hot for the basking temp you want. I have a kammerflage cham too I purchased as a baby and I know they sell the 100watt with their chams. I ended up getting like a 60 watt housebulb and changing it out cause my panther would gape alot under the light. It really depends on how high you suspend the light above the cage, the ambient temp of your house, the humidity in your enclosure which affects the temps...just some of the variables. It may work just fine for you. Oh and welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of chameleon ownership!

Oh and welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of chameleon ownership!

Thank you :)

In regards to the light, I was concerned about it too, I see that many people are using 65 to 75 watt lights. I will definitely watch my cham and see how he reacts to the 100 watt. How do you like your Kammerflage Kreation? I am looking into getting an ambilobe male out of Hazo-Matoatoa (Tree Ghost), I am insanely excited :D

Love my chameleon from them. Liddy Kammer is a gem of a person to work with too! If you check out my user page I have a photo album of my cham from them. He is a Sambava.

I also had a question about how one goes about keeping living vines inside a chameleon's enclosure. I'd like to know how to go about doing this as I find the idea ideal in comparison to the fake vines that are at my local petco. I found this product from pet tech http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...d-misc-decor/-/pet-tech-medium-planter-ledge/

But I dunno if it is what people are using to help these "hanging" plants thrive inside a screen enclosure. Can any one tell me if they have any experience with this product or what way is best to go about setting up healthy vine?

The only thing is you have to make sure that the live vines are cham safe, cause panthers and veilds both will munch on stuff like that. Panthers seem attracted to vines and branches more so than the Veilds who seem to like the plants from what I have read on here. I am not sure how to research vines. We have list for safe plants but I have not seen one for vines. Most of us use the fake I guess!

Okay, I have one last question for the forum. I have bought a temperature and humidity gauge combo pack. Where should I place these in the cage in order to get the best readings for keeping my panther healthy? They are the round sticky adhesive kind.

Thanks all,

-Vash

Well it sounds like you might have gotten the analog type which do not read as accurately as the digitals. Before I got my digital, I hung those to the back of the cage towards the top. They work, but I found the digital to be much more accurate when I compared the cage temp to the temp in my house with the cage lights off. The digital is pretty dead on where the analog was about 6 degrees off.

I have a digital thermometer from zoo med, I have the probe underneath what I thought would be the ideal basking spot. It is holding steady at 88.3 degrees thus far, if I post some pictures do you think you could tell me what you think, Carol? It would be greatly appreciated.

-Vash

I have a digital thermometer from zoo med, I have the probe underneath what I thought would be the ideal basking spot. It is holding steady at 88.3 degrees thus far, if I post some pictures do you think you could tell me what you think, Carol? It would be greatly appreciated.

-Vash

sure, post away!!!

Thank you very much, please give me just a moment.

Edit: Apologies, I have to download a media center for my phone >_<;;. Pictures should be up in 5-10 minutes..

Here are the pictures, I am so sorry this took so long, please let me know if you see anything wrong. I intend to put a golden pothos plant in a magnaturals planter towards to back but it has not yet arrived. I have a thermometer in the bottom left and a humidity gauge in the bottom right. I connected the digital to the basking rod as it made the most sense to have it there instead of somewhere else in the cage. I also intend to incorperate some vines once the pothos is within the enclosure.

A few more pictures just so you can see where everything is...I also have an extra humidity gauge, but I'm not sure where to put it...

is that thing electric with the cord? My digital therm/hyg takes batteries so there is no cords hanging out. What about that getting wet? you definitely need some more branches and vines for walkways. I know you said you were getting some vines. That is good. your basking branch looks low but if you say your temp is 88 then I woudl not move it any closer.

Oh it is battery operated and completely mist-proof from what I understand of it, I just haven't attached the digital display to anything yet. I'm going to play with the vines a bit, I will upload more pictures in a bit, computer and phone willing >_< Thank you so much for your help Carol.

Oh it is battery operated and completely mist-proof from what I understand of it, I just haven't attached the digital display to anything yet. I'm going to play with the vines a bit, I will upload more pictures in a bit, computer and phone willing >_< Thank you so much for your help Carol.

You might get a little flack about that basking temp, but I know the Kammers and they bask their chameleons at around 90 so just go with that. If you find your chameleon gaping(with mouth open) all the time while basking then I would change out your bulb to a lower wattage.

Absolutely :) I remember you said that and have a replacement bulb waiting just in case. This cage arrived just today so I was very excited to start playing around with the setup...

Edit: Right now I'm just trying to figure out what to do with these vines, they're a little unruly..

Absolutely :) I remember you said that and have a replacement bulb waiting just in case. This cage arrived just today so I was very excited to start playing around with the setup...

Edit: Right now I'm just trying to figure out what to do with these vines, they're a little unruly..

Did you get your cage from Kammers? It looks just like mine. I love Liddy Kammer, she is the nicest lady!

Yes I did :) These vines I'm playing with came from them too. Will you be on for a bit longer? I'm going to see if I can get these twisted around, I'm just worried about them being too close to the basking light.

The pothos will be situated behind the biggest loop in the vine, in that big blank space. If that makes any sense...I'm going to place it on the back screen panel.

Back
Top Bottom