is there anything besides crickets?

81Shaun

Anything besides cricktets I can feed my veiled Chameleon. I for some reason am not to good with keeping cricket alive. I dont no what the issues is but they keep dieng. I purchased $20 at the pet store and went back today and he replaced them so tonight I get home and there dead again. I dont no if im crowding or whats going on I divided them up and the sterilite containers there in I drilled lots and lots of holes for air circulation. anything besides cricket can I feed mostly? im giving them orange cricket cubes for water and cricket food I bought today but alot of them dieng off already. I asked the petshop guy whivh is honest he said hes having no problems with them dieng off so im not sure whats going on? Hes got alot of them in a 10 gallon aquarium and there lively as can be. These tubs I got mine in is almost the size of a Aquarium hes using. Maybe there not getting enough air as im thinking I just put them in a huge sterilite tub. Anyway thanks for any help..shaun

I can't keep crickets alive for the life of me. So I buy small quantities more frequently, which usually means multiple trips to the pet store in a week. I personally stay away from the orange cubes, I think they smell very chemically and you are what you eat, so I don't want to feed that to my reptiles. I have small dish with a paper towel in it for water, fresh fruits and veggies, and a gut load block. I typically buy no more 50-60 crickets at a time, for my 3 lizards it usually lasts me a few days and only about 5-6 die in that time.
You can also try dubia roaches. They have a longer life cycle, I've had a much better success rate keeping them alive. Plus they don't smell as bad as crickets and don't make noise.

Have you tried dubia roaches? Those are almost impossible to kill Imo. I have them just in an open tuperware container on the counter and feed them daily with greens and veggies and a little fruit. They don't smell at all which is a huge plus and they don't escape like crickets do. I've pretty much given up on crickets

Dubai's for me too!
Grasshoppers are doable too but require alot of care compared to Dubai's and they are less nutritious.
I will look in to breeding snails too, they would make a good treat.

Thank you all for your help. I went to the petstore today and got some superworms for him for temporary because im almost broke at the moment. I asked him about Dubai Roaches he doesn't sale them because the hair cutting place next door called the health department so he quit carrying them but anyway where would be a solid place online to purchase the roaches? And id have to get a place that ships fedex or ups not usps because the mail company will not deliver down my road. thanks much I appreciate your help everyone.

Also on average roughly how many Roaches does a chameleon eat per day? Also does the calcium powder stick to the roaches pretty good? Any care links on keeping Dubai roaches? thanks again

I just started feeding my girl roaches. She LOVES them. And super easy to keep alive. I found someone locally breeding them on facebook. They keep large numbers for Thier own reptiles, I buy my small quantities for my 1 Chameleon. My girl eats 3 a day - but I was going to ask here today if that was a good number. So don't take my word on the quantity!

Silkworms, butter worms and sfl is good my chams love them! I also feed my veiled green leaf lettuce and she goes crazy for it! I also try bananas and strawberries she's not to big on those though. Also when I can, I catch mayflies and feed them when I'm out of crixs it works and they like them. I order my worms from mulberry farms and the butterworms and sfl are the easiest to keep alive for the longest.

Blue bottle flies (spikes/larvae) are fun and easy to hatch; I get mine at rainbow mealworms or mantis pets online. If you go the rainbow mealworms route, you can get flies, larvae, and hornworms as well!

For the roaches, lots of places to order, but I had good luck with KFC feeders. Crickets are not hard to keep alive but they may have been in bad shape when you got them. Too much moisture will cause a mass die off. I use cotton balls in a disposable lid and change the balls out daily and replace the lid a couple of times a week. Dubia will need water too, so you can do that, give them water crystals (some reptiles have ended up dying when these get ingested, though), and organic oranges.

Back
Top Bottom