Is there a way to make pressure treated wood safe?

Cham.44

So I am building a big outdoor cage for my chameleon and I used pressure treated wood not knowing it wouldn't be safe (my mistake for not researching enough). I already built the frame so if there is any way to make PT safe I would like to know. So is there anyway to make it safe or do I have to start over?

Sealing it really well with an exterior grade semi-penetrating, hydrophobic stain/sealer would be my recommendation. You'll probably have to wait a few weeks for the wood to "dry" before applying the stain/sealer - that is typically the recommendation I see for PT lumber.

Sealing it really well with an exterior grade semi-penetrating, hydrophobic stain/sealer would be my recommendation. You'll probably have to wait a few weeks for the wood to "dry" before applying the stain/sealer - that is typically the recommendation I see for PT lumber.
Thanks, I will try that.

Pressure treated wood is treated with a safer chemical now. It's safe for human contact. Check the label it might be safe as is. I don't seal my cages. I just was them with soap and water.

Pressure treated wood is treated with a safer chemical now. It's safe for human contact. Check the label it might be safe as is. I don't seal my cages. I just was them with soap and water.

True, they stopped using CCA about 10 years ago, but I still wouldn't trust even the new quat-based treatment in potential contact with a sensitive species. If it's not safe for birds (and even the new PT is still not recommended for use with birds), then I wouldn't use it for a reptile.

Back
Top Bottom