Is tap water safe

Alexander1

Avid Member
Hey guys, this forum has always been extremely helpful with my new veiled, is it safe to mist with tap water, or use tap water in my dripper and humidifier?

I have no idea what others will say, but for me, NO, use filtered water or old water that has sat out for more than a day (24 hrs) or distilled or spring water. Tap water has chemicals in it to clean it. Water sources are dirty and they have to put in bleach and other things in it, we have fluoride here in Ohio and not sure what else. I can actually taste the bleach in my water, and I drink it from tap only when in a hurry.

I have no idea what others will say, but for me, NO, use filtered water or old water that has sat out for more than a day (24 hrs) or distilled or spring water. Tap water has chemicals in it to clean it. Water sources are dirty and they have to put in bleach and other things in it, we have fluoride here in Ohio and not sure what else. I can actually taste the bleach in my water, and I drink it from tap only when in a hurry.

Thanks for your input, I'm in Chicago and I'm sure they add all sorts of Chems to clean up the lakemichigan tap. ✌

I think it depends on where you live and what your water quality is like. I have always used tap water myself, and I have never had it kill any of my chameleons, turtles, tortoises, gecko etc. That is just my opinion on where I live though.

It really varies. Sometimes you can use the internet and find out what is in your water. Other times you can just use your nose and eyes. Or if you live in some parts of the country try a match, if it ignites then it's most likely bad for you.

I checked into my water quality years ago in CA. Overall it's fine and I've never had it kill plants or animals. My dogs haven't croaked either. Once in a while I can smell chlorination and when I can smell it I let it sit out for half a day. Only seems to happen when the seasons change.

I have a well and use that for my chams and any animal or pet I've ever had. I add the drops to my water though before I use it on them. It's suppose to take out chemicals and all that and add electrolytes Made by zoomed. My water is pretty good I test mine often. Now if I lived in nyc or something I Prob would not use my tap water.

Becareful using additives made by any company. Zoomed likes to make $$$ and if you don't need it added, don't. Old fashioned water has taken care of these animals far longer than people have been walking on Madagascar I'd guess.

Becareful using additives made by any company. Zoomed likes to make $$$ and if you don't need it added, don't. Old fashioned water has taken care of these animals far longer than people have been walking on Madagascar I'd guess.

It was free so I don't mind using it and have never had any problems with it in any of the years I've used it. I don't mind taking any small extra cautions that I can when available. Just to much love for my kids aka pets

I use reverse osmosis water. Im also on a well and our water is great, 336 ppm on the tds meter. My ro water is 36 ppm. Needs a new filter because it should be around 5.

I use reverse osmosis water. Im also on a well and our water is great, 336 ppm on the tds meter. My ro water is 36 ppm. Needs a new filter because it should be around 5.

I wouldn't use reverse osmosis water, unless it's been remineralized. Water is a sponge, and if it's devoid of minerals and total dissolved solids it will leach them from somewhere.....your body or whoever else it consuming it (over time of course).

I wouldn't use reverse osmosis water, unless it's been remineralized. Water is a sponge, and if it's devoid of minerals and total dissolved solids it will leach them from somewhere.....your body or whoever else it consuming it (over time of course).

I'm new on here, but have done a lot of research on this very topic, and I use reverse osmosis water for my animals and plants. I'm sure many members on here use ro or distilled water in their misting systems (which is the primary or only water source) with no ill effects, as long as the insects are properly gut loaded and dusted using calcium, vitamins, and minerals. If the chameleon is getting adequate supplementation in their diet, using water with almost no dissolved solids should not be a problem. I have a great ro system for a marine aquarium and the tds meter says 0.0 coming out.

Wow you guys ain't playin' when it comes to researching your pets, that's why I like this forum. Information galore

i make about 100 gallons of RO water a week. Give it to my 3 dogs 2 cats fill the water reservoirs for 2 misting systems change water in the aquarium and have never had any problems. I gut load my insects with fresh fruits and veggies and also a cricket food and roach food i buy. They all get plenty of the minerals that is taken out of the water. misting heads never get clogged, never have water spots on the leaves or the plexiglass door on my chameleon cage. I'll continue to use it until someone proves me wrong. Like i said my water is not totally pure, it has 36 ppm. Oh, the dogs dont like it, they would rather drink out of a mud puddle out back. :D

I have a well and use that for my chams and any animal or pet I've ever had. I add the drops to my water though before I use it on them. It's suppose to take out chemicals and all that and add electrolytes Made by zoomed. My water is pretty good I test mine often. Now if I lived in nyc or something I Prob would not use my tap water.

If you have your own well and the water has tested safe for human consumption or is already filtered, you don't don't need the additives. I think they are primarily used to remove or neutralize treatment chemicals used by municipal water sources (chloramines, chlorine, etc). Read the label to make sure what they neutralize. Why add a non-specific pet industry chemical to your cham's diet if you don't need to?

I have used RO filtered water for all my aviary birds, my herps, dogs, etc. for many many years. It is safe and will NOT create mineral deficiencies if you are gutloading and dusting correctly. Remember, a wild cham's primary source of drinking water is rain which does not contain lots of minerals either.

i use tap water that sits for a day for everything that i ever had and theyve always been healthy. i live in massachusetts on the nh border.

Back
Top Bottom