Is stuey dehidrated or cold?

I'm just curious as to your comment about pet store people because I happen to be one of the "dumb A$$es" at the pet store that you are talking about. I happen to inform customers of the requirements to keep a chameleon and of the advice that they can get on this forum. Making a sale is not my goal. A good informed home for the animals is my goal. I have stopped several people from purchasing the chameleons in our store just because they thought they would be cool by explaining about all of the additional concerns involved, like the screen enclosure, lights, humidity, uvb, etc. I just wanted to state my opinion about your comment.
Personally I think that the person buying the animals has a responsibility to see what is involved by researching the animal before buying and not blaming the pet store employees. If you've researched then you would know whether or not the employee knows what they are talking about and whether to take their advice.

I am certainly not directing my comment at you....my comment was MOST"...." From the experience I have had (which is quite a bit) of dealing with pet stores such as PetSmart, those young kids that work there don't know their butt from a whole in the ground. The only thing I buy from there is cat food, guinea pig supplies, and occassionally crickets if I've run out, and when the kid getting my crickets is asking me all sorts of questions about chams it's quite obvious where their knowledge base lies. This is the same kid who I later witness selling someone a cham or beardie, or other lizard and hear them giving the wrong environmental information to the new owner, only to know that another animal is going to die because of someones ignorance or lack of knowledge. I have several types of animals in my home as well as being a foster mom for the local cat rescue so I do have quite a bit of interactions with the pet stores. It's frustrating when you walk in and see the poor conditions (i.e., tiny glass tanks) that they put chams in or you see 20 baby beardies in a 10 gal tank. Personally I prefer to deal with small pet stores. I apologize if my comment bothered you because it was not meant to...it was simply a general statement of my opinions based on my experiences.

lol its ok im sry, my life kida sucks so i get mad easily with my parents divorced and such, yea i did get them from a small pet store very nice they did know what they were doing. but i bought the calcisand from a difernt one so yea i can see ur point

but i need an answer for my question cause i spent alot of money on that calcisand....plz answer soon is it very dangorous and should i replace it imediatly with paper towel or what

ok, ty guys, jesus my mom is gonna be pissed after she ran around all day for that stuff, o well. thanks for the help guys.

Yes a 5.0 will provide enough uvB for him as long as the calcium supplements come with D3. This is usually said on the front of the bottle. They may call it cholecalciferol. Big word means about the same thing as D3.

The veiled chameleons real scientific name (Latin) is Chamaeleo Calyptratus. Translated it means "earth lion with crown". This species as a whole comes from Yemen or Saudia Arabia. A low desert lies next to the coast of the Red Sea. Alot of these particular chameleons can be found there. Further west their are some some mountains and plataues. They can also be found there. If you have not learned about this in school yet these mountains create the rain shadow effect. On the mountains on the west side there is a lot of rain. Veiled chameleons are very versitle. They can survive in the desert or a forest.

I would keep the sand around. I do use ground cover (also called substrate). We have different enclosures. With a screen type and proper set-up this method of substrate can be used with little risk. With an all glass the odds of bateria forming are pretty high. You may or may not want to use it in a later enclosure so do not just think the sand was a wasted purchase. I think the real reason a lot of other owners do not use it is because it is a little harder to maintain in the long run.

You seem to be doing well for a first time owner. Do not let critism discourage you. It is there to help. Some people do it a little more thought out then others. Look at the meanings not the words. If you have more specific questions feel free to post different threads or whatever.

Your doing better then me. It took me a three months to figure out how to get that picture by my name.

Last edited:
o yea....it said somthing with and A...lol. and acually im gonna get home schooled so i can take care of him more and cause real school is boring and with home school im gonna have like 15 min classes:p and i was really sick when i skipped school and so i kept bugging my mom to take me to the pet store to get food, lightbulbs, and so on. Thanks guys for all the help ur giving me.:)

Last edited:
Those darned continents that start with A...so easy to mix them up!:p

If you base some of your studies on Stuey (geography, science) you will learn about him, and lots of other useful stuff too. I admire your Mom for trying to homeschool you....I would KILL my 12-year-old! Seriously, don't sweat having bought the calcisand or anything else....I'm the queen of leftover pet supplies, and there's always a need at some point. Maybe you'll get a ground gecko someday; you can use the tank for lots of things after Stuey moves to a mesh cage.

I'd say, take a deep breath and relax. Good luck with your baby! :D

Back
Top Bottom