Is something wrong?

Ok I am going back to my original statement then about a 75 watt incandescent should not cause the cage to get that hot. So something is off.
Ugh okay I think it is the thermometer, it was cheap. If the heat is causing him to be at the bottom of his cage, is there anything I can do? I am trying to raise the temp by making my house cooler and lifting the bulb. I cup feed him, and put his food in the cage at like 2 hours ago. He normally goes straight to it to eat, but he has not noticed it because he is curled up at the bottom of the cage. Should I try to show him the food with insect tweezers and hand feed him?

Ugh okay I think it is the thermometer, it was cheap. If the heat is causing him to be at the bottom of his cage, is there anything I can do? I am trying to raise the temp by making my house cooler and lifting the bulb. I cup feed him, and put his food in the cage at like 2 hours ago. He normally goes straight to it to eat, but he has not noticed it because he is curled up at the bottom of the cage. Should I try to show him the food with insect tweezers and hand feed him?
Do you have a wired temp guage with a probe? I have a thermpro and they are great for measuring ambient area temps.

Dont feed with tongs it is dangerous for the cham and you can cause damage to the tongue if they hit the tong.

What do you mean raise the temp?

Ambient should be more like 73 middle to bottom. Basking temp should be 85.

Dont feed with tongs it is dangerous for the cham and you can cause damage to the tongue if they hit the tong.

What do you mean raise the temp?

Ambient should be more like 73 middle to bottom. Basking temp should be 85.
Oops! I meant lower*** the temp.
So just leave his food in the cup and let him go to it eventually.

Oops! I meant lower*** the temp.
So just leave his food in the cup and let him go to it eventually.
If it is a matter of him over heating then he probably won't eat. I would not take him outside if he is already having issues with temperatures. I think getting a wired probe and attaching it at the basking level will give you more accurate temps.

He is still in the same spot he has been for 5 hours, and has not eaten today or drank I think he might have when I wasn't in the room. Is this very bad? He is curled up right now and normally does not do this in the day. I am worried.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.43.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.43.04 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.42.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.42.53 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
He is still in the same spot he has been for 5 hours, and has not eaten today or drank I think he might have when I wasn't in the room. Is this very bad? He is curled up right now and normally does not do this in the day. I am worried.
Something is wrong here. He should not be doing this for days....

Is there anything that you have changed or done differently in the last week? Anything to the room? Anything to the cage?

Something is wrong here. He should not be doing this for days....

Is there anything that you have changed or done differently in the last week? Anything to the room? Anything to the cage?
I have not done anything different at all that’s why i’m so confused. He ate all 7 of his crickets today that’s good, and was at the top a little I just went into his room and he was at the bottom and when I walked in I saw him curl his tail up.

Attachments

• 877EC742-FE36-4C01-837E-8630594EC94C.jpeg
    877EC742-FE36-4C01-837E-8630594EC94C.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 9C6536A1-F22A-4EFC-9A75-0F38B0CEEAB9.jpeg
    9C6536A1-F22A-4EFC-9A75-0F38B0CEEAB9.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 89
You said..."When I got him from the reptile store he has a dark colored “scar” from a healing cut about the size of a pencil eraser. The workers told me they had not even noticed it in the two weeks he had been at the store, as it had not affected his health. They said it should heal as he grows and sheds".... Can you take a photo of the spot/scar?

Have you tried getting him out to make sure his limbs are ok and that he is able to hold his body up?

This really has me baffled... The only thing I can think of is something happened when he was taken outside in the cage to freak him out. While the cage needs more real plant cover rather then the fake foliage there is nothing in your husbandry that would directly cause this type of behavior.

The only thing I can think of is a fear response. And he is staying low because it is the densest part of the cage for cover.

Possible idea would be to add a good size dwarf umbrella plant to provide more dense cover through out the enclosure....

Then there is the possibility of infection from that old wound... Or even a parasite issue but you said he ate 7 crickets today.. Normally they refuse food when ill.

Like I said I am totally stumped here... The behavior started when you moved the cage outside... Which is why I am leaning to a fear response... He saw something that freaked him out. He was in his cage when he saw it. I would try adding the plant I suggested and see if the change in his cage environment makes him feel like he is now in a safe space...

You said..."When I got him from the reptile store he has a dark colored “scar” from a healing cut about the size of a pencil eraser. The workers told me they had not even noticed it in the two weeks he had been at the store, as it had not affected his health. They said it should heal as he grows and sheds".... Can you take a photo of the spot/scar?
Sorry for the bad picture, he climbing up to his basking spot (yay) but it was hard to get a picture because there was a plant over it but this is it right now. I put a few angles.

Attachments

• F0CD60A4-587D-47B9-B46C-E740033C9630.jpeg
    F0CD60A4-587D-47B9-B46C-E740033C9630.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 049042EF-E7F7-46AF-A7A5-643DF574CB11.jpeg
    049042EF-E7F7-46AF-A7A5-643DF574CB11.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 1B5D607E-D842-45D2-861C-8669A4063F8E.jpeg
    1B5D607E-D842-45D2-861C-8669A4063F8E.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 3DB44A96-BA99-4970-961C-7C6BE271132B.jpeg
    3DB44A96-BA99-4970-961C-7C6BE271132B.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 87
  • BFF0D9ED-311F-45C4-BA54-6849C56D338E.jpeg
    BFF0D9ED-311F-45C4-BA54-6849C56D338E.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 59
Have you tried getting him out to make sure his limbs are ok and that he is able to hold his body up?

This really has me baffled... The only thing I can think of is something happened when he was taken outside in the cage to freak him out. While the cage needs more real plant cover rather then the fake foliage there is nothing in your husbandry that would directly cause this type of behavior.

The only thing I can think of is a fear response. And he is staying low because it is the densest part of the cage for cover.

Possible idea would be to add a good size dwarf umbrella plant to provide more dense cover through out the enclosure....

Then there is the possibility of infection from that old wound... Or even a parasite issue but you said he ate 7 crickets today.. Normally they refuse food when ill.

Like I said I am totally stumped here... The behavior started when you moved the cage outside... Which is why I am leaning to a fear response... He saw something that freaked him out. He was in his cage when he saw it. I would try adding the plant I suggested and see if the change in his cage environment makes him feel like he is now in a safe space...
Okay I will definitely do that. He can still climb good i’m assuming because while I was gone I came home and he was in his basking spot at the top! For the live plants this is what I did last time, is this good:
I wash the leaves off with a little bit of dawn soap and water to make sure no fertilizer was on it, and made sure the soap was completely off. Then I took all of the soil out and off the roots that it came with so those white fertilizer balls got off. Then I re-potted it in coconut substrate, and put clean rocks to cover the soil.

Back
Top Bottom