Is something wrong?

My chameleon was fine yesterday, but today he has been dark the whole day and towards the bottom of his cage. I brought him outside in hopes to give his some natural light and last time I did this he was very happy and colorful. I brought him in after about 30 minutes and it has been like 3 hours since he has been inside and he is on the bottom of his cage and very dark. Is he okay?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.17.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.17.37 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.18.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 5.18.01 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
Was he like this before you took him outside? How hot was it and was he in full sun?
before I took him outside he was like this but sitting under his live plant on the bottom(I will attach a picture). Today it was cloudy out side, humid, and 77 degrees. I did some research to make sure it was okay to bring him out in this weather and the forums said it was okay. Last time I took him outside he got very colorful, but this time he stayed dark so I brought him bark inside.

Attachments

• A64CBC97-4E4D-4B10-9418-77203606123D.jpeg
    A64CBC97-4E4D-4B10-9418-77203606123D.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DE58040E-512D-4AA4-874F-18C3BD3D6EEE.jpeg
    DE58040E-512D-4AA4-874F-18C3BD3D6EEE.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 94
So it is not typical behavior... Can you post picks of your entire enclosure for me? Have you filled out the help form to make sure you were given all the correct husbandry info for him?

So it is not typical behavior... Can you post picks of your entire enclosure for me? Have you filled out the help form to make sure you were given all the correct husbandry info for him?
Yes here is the info.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, male, 4 months, I have had him for a month
Handling - I have not handled him yet, and do not plan to for a while until he settles into his new home.

Feeding - I am feeding him 8-10 crickets a day at around 12 after he wakes up at 9:30. I gut loaded the crickets with carrots and collard greens by just putting it in the cage they are in. I also have given my chameleon 2 horn worms one on the first day I got him, and one the third day.

Supplements - Repcal calcium with vitamin D3 and Sticky Tongue Farm multivitamin alternating weekends and Repcal calcium with out vitamin D3 weekdays.
Watering - I use a handheld mister. I don’t necessarily must for a set time, but I must until every plant has water droplets on it which takes around a minute or so. I mist everywhere in his cage, and also use a dripper which stays on all day. I have only seen him drinking water from the dripper, not from the plants. I mist once when I wake him up, and once i’m the evening around 4-5. Both of the water types are distilled water.

Fecal Description - Every time he has pooped is has been white, so he is hydrated. He has not been tested for parasites.

History - When I got him from the reptile store he has a dark colored “scar” from a healing cut about the size of a pencil eraser. The workers told me they had not even noticed it in the two weeks he had been at the store, as it had not affected his health. They said it should heal as he grows and sheds.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30 medium size since he is only 4 months.

Lighting - Repti Basking spot lamp 75w and mini deep dome lamp fixture, and for UBV the Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14.

Temperature - I have the basking lamp at the top of the cage , so it gets cooler at the bottom.

Humidity -64% at the bottom of cage, and 52% at the top.

Plants I have one live plant it is a pathos. I rerooted it in Eco Earth coconut fiber so there was no fertilizer balls. I also placed baked rocks over the soil in case he goes near it.

Placement- His cage is in my bedroom on a table that is about feet tall. I am generally quite or not in my bed room a lot during the day. I only play music in my room, which is still not blaring loud. No one else goes in there, but I guess since I did get him recently my family has been coming in my room to look at him.

Location - I live in North Texas.

Current Problem - He has been dark, and at the bottom of his cage today.
Thank you!

I attached pictures of his enclosure.

Attachments

• 0606B7C2-1EB5-42AE-B9EE-C56486D4E5F5.jpeg
    0606B7C2-1EB5-42AE-B9EE-C56486D4E5F5.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 404F43C1-A013-41C3-9599-0625DD43946F.jpeg
    404F43C1-A013-41C3-9599-0625DD43946F.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 105
Yes here is the info.

Chameleon Info:
Handling - I have not handled him yet, and do not plan to for a while until he settles into his new home.

Feeding - I am feeding him 8-10 crickets a day at around 12 after he wakes up at 9:30. I gut loaded the crickets with carrots and collard greens by just putting it in the cage they are in. I also have given my chameleon 2 horn worms one on the first day I got him, and one the third day.

Supplements - Repcal calcium with vitamin D3 and Sticky Tongue Farm multivitamin alternating weekends and Repcal calcium with out vitamin D3 weekdays.
Watering - I use a handheld mister. I don’t necessarily must for a set time, but I must until every plant has water droplets on it which takes around a minute or so. I mist everywhere in his cage, and also use a dripper which stays on all day. I have only seen him drinking water from the dripper, not from the plants. I mist once when I wake him up, and once i’m the evening around 4-5. Both of the water types are distilled water.

Fecal Description - Every time he has pooped is has been white, so he is hydrated. He has not been tested for parasites.

History - When I got him from the reptile store he has a dark colored “scar” from a healing cut about the size of a pencil eraser. The workers told me they had not even noticed it in the two weeks he had been at the store, as it had not affected his health. They said it should heal as he grows and sheds.

Cage Info:

Lighting - Repti Basking spot lamp 75w and mini deep dome lamp fixture, and for UBV the Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14.

Temperature - I have the basking lamp at the top of the cage , so it gets cooler at the bottom.

Plants I have one live plant it is a pathos. I rerooted it in Eco Earth coconut fiber so there was no fertilizer balls. I also placed baked rocks over the soil in case he goes near it.

Placement- His cage is in my bedroom on a table that is about feet tall. I am generally quite or not in my bed room a lot during the day. I only play music in my room, which is still not blaring loud. No one else goes in there, but I guess since I did get him recently my family has been coming in my room to look at him.

Thank you!

Give me a minute to go through everything...

@chameleonquestionsaddie Please see feed back and questions in red bold.
Chameleon Info:
Handling - I have not handled him yet, and do not plan to for a while until he settles into his new home. How do you take him outside?

Feeding - I am feeding him 8-10 crickets a day at around 12 after he wakes up at 9:30. I gut loaded the crickets with carrots and collard greens by just putting it in the cage they are in. I also have given my chameleon 2 horn worms one on the first day I got him, and one the third day. Are you cup feeding or free feeding them? Is he eating them all? Gutload should be more variety... See image below.

Supplements - Repcal calcium with vitamin D3 and Sticky Tongue Farm multivitamin alternating weekends and Repcal calcium with out vitamin D3 weekdays. So you want to use a calcium without d3 at every feeding. Then 2 times a month a calcium with D3 and 2 times a month a multivitamin. These two should be rotated week to week. I personally am not familiar with sticky tongues multivitamin.... Can you take a picture of the one you are using?

Fecal Description - Every time he has pooped is has been white, so he is hydrated. He has not been tested for parasites. I always recommend a fecal to ensure there is not a parasite issue.

Cage Info:

Lighting - Repti Basking spot lamp 75w and mini deep dome lamp fixture, and for UBV the Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14. What is the bulb strength in the T5HO?

Temperature - I have the basking lamp at the top of the cage , so it gets cooler at the bottom. What are your exact temps? Basking level down?

Thank you!

Is your cage bottom a bare floor or is it dirt? I would remove the fake green plant material... Get an umbrella tree for the center of the cage to fill it out. Then run your fake vine horizontally.

Links I like:

www.dragonstrand.com

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Just throwing this out there and I have only seen my Cham turn black like that from extreme fear of something. Maybe he saw something outside? ?‍♀️

@chameleonquestionsaddie Please see feed back and questions in red bold.
Chameleon Info:
Handling - I have not handled him yet, and do not plan to for a while until he settles into his new home. How do you take him outside? I took his whole enclosure outside and set it on a table I have outside.

Feeding - I am feeding him 8-10 crickets a day at around 12 after he wakes up at 9:30. I gut loaded the crickets with carrots and collard greens by just putting it in the cage they are in. I also have given my chameleon 2 horn worms one on the first day I got him, and one the third day. Are you cup feeding or free feeding them? Is he eating them all? Gutload should be more variety... See image below. I am cup feeding. Today I gave him 8 and he ate 6 of them. Okay I will gut load new types.

Supplements - Repcal calcium with vitamin D3 and Sticky Tongue Farm multivitamin alternating weekends and Repcal calcium with out vitamin D3 weekdays. So you want to use a calcium without d3 at every feeding. Then 2 times a month a calcium with D3 and 2 times a month a multivitamin. These two should be rotated week to week. I personally am not familiar with sticky tongues multivitamin.... Can you take a picture of the one you are using? Oops, I accidentally worded it wrong, I am doing what you said to do with the supplements. The reptile store I purchased him from suggested the sticky farms to me as a multivitamin, but I will add a picture. I can order a new one if this one is incorrect!

Fecal Description - Every time he has pooped is has been white, so he is hydrated. He has not been tested for parasites. I always recommend a fecal to ensure there is not a parasite issue. How do I check for that?

Cage Info:

Lighting - Repti Basking spot lamp 75w and mini deep dome lamp fixture, and for UBV the Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium hood 14. What is the bulb strength in the T5HO? UBV 5.0

Temperature - I have the basking lamp at the top of the cage , so it gets cooler at the bottom. What are your exact temps? Basking level down? 81 at the top and 77 at the bottom.

Thank you!

Is your cage bottom a bare floor or is it dirt? I would remove the fake green plant material... Get an umbrella tree for the center of the cage to fill it out. Then run your fake vine horizontally.
The cage is bare bottom at the floor. Do you mean all of the fake plants?
Links I like:

www.dragonstrand.com

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

View attachment 267142

Attachments

• BE492F3F-4A3D-4FAF-9619-F303FE6550A8.png
    BE492F3F-4A3D-4FAF-9619-F303FE6550A8.png
    505 KB · Views: 76
Just throwing this out there and I have only seen my Cham turn black like that from extreme fear of something. Maybe he saw something outside? ?‍♀️
Hmmmm okay I wonder what it was. Could It be a new person he hasn’t seen? He hasn’t been around my boyfriend and he is the person that carries his enclosure outside. We were sitting by him watching him. I can’t think of anything else because he was in the same spot last time I took him outside and loved it!

Honestly, it’s going to be a mystery unless you start seeing a pattern. If he’s seen your boyfriend before I don’t think he would react like that but I could be wrong...maybe a bird or some other animal?

Ok that is actually a calcium with D3 not a multivitamin. I would buy reptivite without D3 to replace this.

Hmmmm okay I wonder what it was. Could It be a new person he hasn’t seen? He hasn’t been around my boyfriend and he is the person that carries his enclosure outside. We were sitting by him watching him. I can’t think of anything else because he was in the same spot last time I took him outside and loved it!
Could something have fallen on or against him when your boyfriend moved the enclosure outside?

Back
Top Bottom