Is something wrong with my Veilded Chameleon?

ReqRep

Hi all, my Veiled Chameleon (Charlemagne) came yesterday and I'm concerned something might be wrong with him. It appears that something is wrong with the skin around his mouth, it's slightly pulled back and black on the very tip. It's almost as if it just doesn't cover his mouth all the way, leading to this weird joker-eqsue smile. I can try to get a more head on picture if needed. Does this indicate any kind of illness or is it just part of shedding? Thanks!

Attachments

• 16935851_10206469301969786_2130094490_o.jpg
    16935851_10206469301969786_2130094490_o.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 16976900_10206469302089789_1914758866_n.jpg
    16976900_10206469302089789_1914758866_n.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 136
I have never seen that before i would definitely consult a vet it could be a bone disorder or a deformed mouth

I would likely lean toward an mbd like situation especially with the slight bend to his casque. It also looks like he might have been rubbing it against something. When you palpate his lower jaw... Does it feel soft? Chameleons should have fairly firm jaws, a tiny bit of flexibility is fine, but it show not bend much. Squeeze gently on either side of his lower jaw.

Hi all, my Veiled Chameleon (Charlemagne) came yesterday and I'm concerned something might be wrong with him. It appears that something is wrong with the skin around his mouth, it's slightly pulled back and black on the very tip. It's almost as if it just doesn't cover his mouth all the way, leading to this weird joker-eqsue smile. I can try to get a more head on picture if needed. Does this indicate any kind of illness or is it just part of shedding? Thanks!
Should contact whoever sold it to you and hope they help resolve it but I would agree a vet visit should happen.

Definitely agree with the above post, I forgot to point it out. If he was sold to you in this condition you should either refund, or if you have fallen in love already, like we know is so easy with our little ones, I would see if person who sold it to you would pay some of the cost of a vet.

I opted to return him. While I did like the little guy it just didn't seem wise to undertake a sick animal as my first Cham. Hopefully the seller will be able to take the neccesary steps to rehabilitate him and get him healthy again. Thank you all for the input!

I opted to return him. While I did like the little guy it just didn't seem wise to undertake a sick animal as my first Cham. Hopefully the seller will be able to take the neccesary steps to rehabilitate him and get him healthy again. Thank you all for the input!
That was a smart decision. I would want my 1st cham to be one that had health issues. Shame on that breeder for selling it to you in that condition. There's plenty of good breeders here and I know the members would be happy to help point you in the right direction if you decide to get another cham. They're not always the easiest animal to care for but it's so rewarding when you get it right.

I definitely agree, starting out with a sick animal is not easy as your first chameleon. I know people who have done it, and I am pretty sure they never recommend it if you have another option. I am very glad you returned him, not just for your peace of mind but for his health. Hopefully the breeder will know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom