Is she alright?

Little update. She is not getting better. When I came she did change a position and she was normal color but when i offered her food she froze again and became dark. I wanted to see on what level is she paralyzed so i touched her on the nose and eye and there was absolutely no reaction. She didnt even blink...
006E10DE-5F16-4192-B672-F6C8C77B37A5.jpeg

Little update. She is not getting better. When I came she did change a position and she was normal color but when i offered her food she froze again and became dark. I wanted to see on what level is she paralyzed so i touched her on the nose and eye and there was absolutely no reaction. She didnt even blink... View attachment 288064
So your uvb is in the cage??? What bulb type and strength are you using? I am thinking she is being over exposed to a much too high UVI level.

Filling out the ask for help form (linked in my signature) would greatly help as well. We need to see if anything else is off

juat a thought I see the light is cooking the chip board which has glue and will create toxic fumes... I would take her out of that NOW and see if it helps they are sensitive
All of my chameleons stayed in this enclosure when they were babies and the lights are not cooking the chip board.

So your uvb is in the cage??? What bulb type and strength are you using? I am thinking she is being over exposed to a much too high UVI level.
Yes it is. This is the only enclosure available in serbia. I cant order the enclosure from other countries because it will be 500 dollars. Uv strength is 5%.

Filling out the ask for help form (linked in my signature) would greatly help as well. We need to see if anything else is off
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female panther chameleon. 3-4 months old i had her for about a month.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? She was eating 2-6 dubias or crickets a day. Bow shes not eating. Atm I am gutloading with carrot.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Every feeder is dusted with calcium and I gave her 3 times multivitamin with d3 in the time i have her.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am spraying the enclosure 2 times a day once in the morning and once before bed.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She was tested for parasites and she has none right now. Her poop looks all normal.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Absolutely none.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Pressed wood board. I dont know the dimensions but it is for babies or small chameleons. Will upgrade to something bigger later.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?40w basking light and T5 uv light. Turns on in 9 am turns off in 9pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?Basking spot 33c middle of the cage 26c and bottom around 23-24c.Lowest overnight temp 18-20c.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?On the basking spot 30-40%, in the middle 50-60% and on the bottom 60-80%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?Benjamin ficus two plants and red moore wood.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?It is on the floor. Ni high traffic or noises around.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Serbia, Novi Sad.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. She is totally paralyzed.

I've never seen one act quite like this.
You said she stopped eating. Can she see the bugs?
Can you get her to drink by dripping water drops on the tip of her nose and slip a cricket head first between her teeth as she eats? (Just to test what happens).

So that is producing an extremely High UVI level... I can not give you exacts because the fixture does not have a reflector. But with a reflector a 5.0 T5 bulb produces these levels without the screen barrier.

Top = UVI 32.7 (variable number at bulb)

UVI 6 = 6" total distance from bulb.

UVI 3 = 10.5" total distance from bulb. This is where she should be...

UVI 1 = 21" total distance from bulb.

I've never seen one act quite like this.
You said she stopped eating. Can she see the bugs?
Can you get her to drink by dripping water drops on the tip of her nose and slip a cricket head first between her teeth as she eats? (Just to test what happens).
The lights went out 2 minutes ago so I will try that in the morning if she wakes up hopefully.

So that is producing an extremely High UVI level... I can not give you exacts because the fixture does not have a reflector. But with a reflector a 5.0 T5 bulb produces these levels without the screen barrier.

So I should take uvb lamp that has 3% ?

Just trying to figure out what could be going on. I've never seen anything like it.
I have one question. Could I get some of my big chameleons out and put them in other room where i have a tree that is 2m tall. But there would be no uvb lights and the light of sun hits just one side of the tree from like 6 in the morning to 13 after noon. Would he realize he should go on the light for uv or no?

I have never heard of one that is a 3%....

I would retrofit these enclosures... Cut out the tops and add aluminum window screen then have lights on top. The other factor is was the wood properly sealed?
Yes it was. I just cant figure how is it possible my two chameleons never had this problem that she is having.

Whenever you got her? Were you noticing anything abnormal? If so, what were the symptoms? Maybe we can connect symptoms to what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom