Is Reptar chubby?

Reptarmama

I have a panther chameleon who is roughly 6-7 months old. I do feed him every day a few small feeders (3-4 small Dubias paired with 7-10 baby crickets). I don’t know how often I’m supposed to feed him, but I feel like that’s too much every day. I attached some photos. Since he’s still growing is that okay? Or does he look chubby? Lol. I’m not sure how to tell if a Chameleon is overweight.

Attachments

• 75E50374-9063-4429-B659-934EAA252879.jpeg
    75E50374-9063-4429-B659-934EAA252879.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 361FFB84-4F05-4A45-B30C-16E9056FB454.jpeg
    361FFB84-4F05-4A45-B30C-16E9056FB454.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 46
I think there is a time every keeper has to make the decision to transition to less feeders / every other day. This also goes hand in hand with what your feeding the chameleons food. If your not gut loading it's like eating food without any nutritional value.

A better photo of the chameleons head / face will show the fat pads in the top of their head they shouldn't be bulging or puffy.

My chameleon is a few years old and will gladly eat daily if food is presented. Using a good gutload is key. You make the food worth feeding.

I think there is a time every keeper has to make the decision to transition to less feeders / every other day. This also goes hand in hand with what your feeding the chameleons food. If your not gut loading it's like eating food without any nutritional value.

A better photo of the chameleons head / face will show the fat pads in the top of their head they shouldn't be bulging or puffy.

My chameleon is a few years old and will gladly eat daily if food is presented. Using a good gutload is key. You make the food worth feeding.
I think I’m going to have to get over the feeding every day. It’s hard for me because I feel like that’s mean, but I know that’s normal for them lol.
I have the crickets in with a calcium block, raspberry, and carrot
The Dubias get the same carrot and raspberry and I throw calcium without d3 in it.
I’ll dust calcium with d3 every 2 weeks or so.
I don’t have the repti vitamin though. How often should I be giving that? Every 2?

You should be dusting the insects at every feeding but two a month with a phos free calcium powder lightly and twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A lightly.

The insects should be fed/gut loaded with a wide assortment of veggies and greens such as dandelions, kale, collards, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots, squash, zucchini, etc. and a very little bit of fruit such as apple, pear, melon, etc.

Due to him being only 6-7 months old should be eating more like a dozen medium sized feeders every day at this point... This is when they are growing and they need the food intake to maintain that growth. You would not reduce him until he hits a year old and at that point you would be doing 4-5 feeders every other day.
Your boy does not look chubby at all. Looks a little on the thin side.

You can feed every day but you have to scale down the amount. Depending on the size of the feeder, you may only feed 2-3 per day. I feed six days out of seven to allow a short fasting period but I don't know that it's necessary. The planes of the casque in panthers should lay flat and not bulge upwards in a dome or sink to form a spoon. The tail should show a hint of definition and not look like an inflated balloon. They should not be so thin you see the ligaments connecting the vertebrae.

Back
Top Bottom