Is my Veiled Chameleon male or female?

Mimi123

Hey! I got my Cham a few days ago and the pet shop assistant hardly knew anything.
Is my Cham Male or Female? I really can't figure it out and I've looked all over the internet and have done tons of research but sexing my Chameleon is proving to be very difficult.

Thanks, Mimi :)

Attachments

• 15403208_10208182290098489_2060118850_n.jpg
    15403208_10208182290098489_2060118850_n.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 15435846_10208182289618477_1884436569_n.jpg
    15435846_10208182289618477_1884436569_n.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 15435688_10208182289498474_1466530987_n.jpg
    15435688_10208182289498474_1466530987_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 257
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Looks to me like you have a little lady. I agree with @reptileguy112 though, a picture from that angle would help us be sure ^-^

-Keopi

I will take a better picture tomorrow guys.
I am really worried he/she was not looked after properly at the pet store, I researched MBD, I hope there will be something I could do if my cham has it. I have great reason to believe that the pet store neglected her, they did not have a UVB light on her and they had her water inside a drink bowl, which I know is bad.

I have a UVB light that I have on for 5 hours a day, I try and dust her food with calcium but she won't really eat at the moment :( I really hope she hasn't been neglected for too long and hopefully there could be a way I can get her back in good shape.

Why do you only have the light on for 5 hours? A chameleon should have about 10-12 hours of "daylight"

I will take a better picture tomorrow guys.
I am really worried he/she was not looked after properly at the pet store, I researched MBD, I hope there will be something I could do if my cham has it. I have great reason to believe that the pet store neglected her, they did not have a UVB light on her and they had her water inside a drink bowl, which I know is bad.

I have a UVB light that I have on for 5 hours a day, I try and dust her food with calcium but she won't really eat at the moment :( I really hope she hasn't been neglected for too long and hopefully there could be a way I can get her back in good shape.

Fill out the how to ask for help questions that are stickied in the health clinic...just copy and paste them with you answers here. That way we can help you make sure you husbandry is top notch to help you give him/her the best possible chance to get back to health and have a happy life.

I would say your cham needs to be seen by a vet, ASAP. He needs to have that leg checked, and a vet can confirm whether or not it has MBD. Also, it looks skinny. You should never be able to see hip bones. And, no red heat lamps. They're not good for chams. Just a standard 75W - 100W household incandescent bulb works fine. Btw, I'm on team female.

I would say your cham needs to be seen by a vet, ASAP. He needs to have that leg checked, and a vet can confirm whether or not it has MBD. Also, it looks skinny. You should never be able to see hip bones. And, no red heat lamps. They're not good for chams. Just a standard 75W - 100W household incandescent bulb works fine. Btw, I'm on team female.
OK so a heat lamp is not needed?
I will take her to vet asap thank you. do you know if regular vets will be able to help a chameleon ?

Yes. A heat lamp is needed, but you don't want to use a red bulb. Just a normal house bulb puts off enough heat for a chameleon to be happy and healthy.
It all depends on the vet. If you live anywhere around a zoo, I would ask who they use. You can also search on the forums, here. I believe there is a thread about reptile vets all over the country.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. I've had her for about 4 days now. Possible neglection in pet store.
  • Handling - only when cleaned the cage, not much.
  • Feeding - I have put crickets in the cage but she won't eat them, they have been walking around the cage for days. She seems to like wax worms but still won't eat much. I attached a feeding cup to the side.
  • Supplements - calcium and vitamin D powder from pet store. trying to dust the worms in it.
  • Watering - the petstore gave me her in an old cage with a water bowl, she actually drinks out of there but I know I need to get rid of it. I mist the cage for around 20 seconds three times a day.
  • Fecal Description - gooey yellow and white poop.
  • History - I lack much information because the pet shop guy didn't seem to know anything. like I mentioned before, possible neglect and malnutrition in previous home (pet store) I am also unaware of the exact gender or age.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - a tall mesh cage, A metre and a half. width around half a metre.
  • Lighting - I have a orangey small heat lamp that's been on all the time, and a larger heat lamp that I switch with a UVB bulb. the UVB is on for around 5-6 hours.
  • Temperature - cage floor is probably around 69 and the basking is around 78 i am guessing
  • Humidity - regular misting. no way of measuring
  • Plants - jade and pothos.
  • Placement - The cage is in front my largw window, blinds are open in daytime. the cage is sat on my desk.
  • Location - brooklyn new york

Current Problem - possible leg problem or MBD

Yes. A heat lamp is needed, but you don't want to use a red bulb. Just a normal house bulb puts off enough heat for a chameleon to be happy and healthy.
It all depends on the vet. If you live anywhere around a zoo, I would ask who they use. You can also search on the forums, here. I believe there is a thread about reptile vets all over the country.
A heat source is not needed at night unless the temps in the room drop below 55. A temp drop at night is healthy and needed for their

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom