Is my setup enough?

Below are pictures of the enclosure I plan on using for a male juvenile veiled chameleon I am expecting soon. The plants and cage were cleaned with 1:40 bleach and were steam cleaned. This cage was previously used to house a sick chameleon that may have had diseases and some bad bacteria so I cleaned it to the best of my ability and am going to wait about a week for any flesh eating bacteria to die off. before judging the setup note that Im going to buy a linear bulb and a spray bottle within the next few days so disregard the uvb bulb that is in the pictures.

The cage is 18 by 18 by 36 inches. The dripper is made out of an old pretzel container with a hole cut into it. The leaves are leaves you can find at this link and at this link. The vines, here (note i have both a small, and large size). the bulb is here (note that the one I have is 100 watts), the calcium is here, the vitamins are here, the wood that you see in the picture is driftwood thats about a pound, and the thermometer and hygrometer both sit at about 4 inches away from the light, (I have two thermometers). I fastened everything with some metal wire that I tied around itself and sanded to stop it from cutting anything, i'm curious to see how other people keep their stuff together.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 217
The heat bulb should be plain white and you must get a linear T5 or T8 UVB tube. Give as many sticks and branches as you can at different heights.

My biggest worry is exactly what happened to the previous occupant. Anything infectious and nothing but deep cleaning and completely changing EVERYTHING inside, might well be posing a risk to any new occupant.

Personal I wouldn’t use the blue bulb from zoomed. I had 4 break on me in a month. One blow up on top of my cage and the others just kept burning out. The Philips blue grow light works great and they are dimmable so if you connect to a thermostat (witch you will want later on) to control the heat in the cage better

I've also had a "daylight blue" bulb (60w) crack and burn out after ~2-3 weeks. They don't seem to do well with the higher humidity and regular misting seen in cham enclosures!
It’s funny how they don’t do well with the stuff you have to do for your chameleon! How can they have “products” for them when they don’t work. These pet companies haven’t seen the #chameleonlivesmatter yet I guess

Personal I wouldn’t use the blue bulb from zoomed. I had 4 break on me in a month. One blow up on top of my cage and the others just kept burning out. The Philips blue grow light works great and they are dimmable so if you connect to a thermostat (witch you will want later on) to control the heat in the cage better

I noticed Zoomed sells these bulbs in 4-packs, lol

You can switch out the fake plants for live which will not only look better, but help maintain humidity and hold water droplets better for drinking.

This also eliminated the possibility of any germs infecting the new chameleon. Better safe than sorry IMO.
I forgot to mention. I have two money trees I’m putting in there when I get him. But I’m look into getting some more.

Is a bulb necessary to supply heat? Could I get a non bulb heater like the nighttime ceramic heaters that can be put in the same place as the bulbs and just use it during the day? Or does the bulb supply something I don’t know of besides heat.

Is a bulb necessary to supply heat? Could I get a non bulb heater like the nighttime ceramic heaters that can be put in the same place as the bulbs and just use it during the day? Or does the bulb supply something I don’t know of besides heat.
No you can’t use a ceramic they get to hot for one and the chameleon needs the light so it can hunt and know when to wake up

Back
Top Bottom