Is my piedbald veiled cham pregnant?

Yellowant

20FDBA7E-2F51-4318-9D8D-66988B35334B.jpeg Just wondering if shes just fat or pregnant?

she still eats tho but not much
should i be prepared?

Attachments

• 4E6F0114-8554-4B01-BE6E-D2EE2AE704E7.jpeg
    4E6F0114-8554-4B01-BE6E-D2EE2AE704E7.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 291
  • E0A5EC6C-138C-4DED-8A8E-B6D2DCA16E63.jpeg
    E0A5EC6C-138C-4DED-8A8E-B6D2DCA16E63.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 297
  • D646FFFB-2814-4B28-A677-0047FB7AB9EF.jpeg
    D646FFFB-2814-4B28-A677-0047FB7AB9EF.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 21AF25E5-6EF7-4596-B465-7D0500784A46.jpeg
    21AF25E5-6EF7-4596-B465-7D0500784A46.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 323
No. She is not pregnant. She's showing receptive colors. BUT. You should NEVER house a male and female together!! One of them will die, and chances are it will be the female. They need to be separated, immediately. Chameleons are very territorial, especially the males.

No. She is not pregnant. She's showing receptive colors. BUT. You should NEVER house a male and female together!! One of them will die, and chances are it will be the female. They need to be separated, immediately. Chameleons are very territorial, especially the males.
But what are those lumps and stuff bulking ?

Oh yes i do know chameleons should never be
in one cage but ive been watching them everyday, they do not fight or argue.
they sleep together most of the time plus the female has never shown any negative signs or colors towards the male.

first i kept them both in a cage for breeding purposses was going to seperate them after about 30~ 1hr max but they seem to be fine along so i kept them together its been over two months. im always home with these guys keeping eye on it no harm.

but thanks for your thoughts and kindness!

Also, just so that you know the proper term, it is called "gravid" when they are carrying eggs. Pregnancy refers to live birth. As, mentioned above, it is imperative that you house the two desperately ASAP. Good luck with your Chams and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

IMHO she looks gravid; not all veileds show classic gravid coloration. Whether she is or not OP you are misunderstanding why a pair shouldn't be kept together. If she's gravid, you will need to separate them. If she's not gravid she probably will be soon, so again, you'll have to separate them. You do know that veileds develop infertile clutches even if they haven't bred with a male right?

Chams don't have to physically FIGHT or actually injure each other to stress out to the point one or the others develops health problems. Stress is subtle and cumulative especially for animals that are naturally solitary. The animals are constantly competing for the best basking spot, the pick of the food, the best places to rest, to observe the world, to drink, everything. Keeping them in a captive situation is stressful enough without adding territorial frustration. In a wild habitat they would separate themselves by entire trees or shrubs dozens of feet apart with a chance to retreat out of sight. In a captive situation like yours they can't do this. You may not realize it but just looking at your pictures I see two animals showing display coloration (stress) and who are as far apart as they can get. There are all sorts of visual signals that one of them is dominating the other. You don't notice it because you are not a cham. Believe us, they do notice. FWIW, your female needs her own space NOW. She needs to feel secure enough to lay her clutch at some point (fertile or not) and chances are she won't lay if she's under territorial pressure. At some point you may well be back asking how to deal with an eggbound veiled. But, what do we know....not sure how many cumulative years with how many hundreds of chams this forum has talked about over the decades.

Last edited:
People like you are why more experienced members dont respond as often. People give what should be common advice that you should have read even before purchasing the animal, and instead you throw it in their face. "They don't "argue"? Is this a joke?

James why are you so mad? 1st thing is first I do know if they have problems being together or not
2nd they dont have any problems what so ever dont acuse me wrong with somehing thats common in everyday life, NOT EVERY cham are same, plus Im not the only one that have chams together in a same cage (i have seen people like me) and im not saying every cham can be lived together im just saying my cham has NO problems at all.
lastly i did not throw anything back get your facts right. i asked a question that if she is Gravid or not. and i have said for the reply “thanks for your thoughts and kindness”

I dont have any problem with you James, plus i have two cages ready by tommrow. and i will be seperating them both anyways.

Last edited:
Also, just so that you know the proper term, it is called "gravid" when they are carrying eggs. Pregnancy refers to live birth. As, mentioned above, it is imperative that you house the two desperately ASAP. Good luck with your Chams and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
thanks alot Scot~! cheers

Scot why are you so mad? 1st thing is first I do know if they have problems being together or not
2nd they dont have any problems what so ever dont acuse me wrong with somehing thats common in everyday life, NOT EVERY cham are same, plus Im not the only one that have chams together in a same cage (i have seen people like me) and im not saying every cham can be lived together im just saying my cham has NO problems at all.
lastly i did not throw anything back get your facts right. i asked a question that if she is Gravid or not. and i have said for the reply “thanks for your thoughts and kindness”
You are in the wrong forum if you believe they are ok together. You will hear this over and over again. Unless you have a room size enclosure with a ton of foliage to create visual separation, you are slowly killing your chameleons. Your hard headed stance on keeping them together will earn you no admiration here. Again, do what is scientifically and proven best practice. Please separate the two, and set up a laying bin for the female.

IMHO she looks gravid; not all veileds show classic gravid coloration. Whether she is or not OP you are misunderstanding why a pair shouldn't be kept together. If she's gravid, you will need to separate them. If she's not gravid she probably will be soon, so again, you'll have to separate them. You do know that veileds develop infertile clutches even if they haven't bred with a male right?

Chams don't have to physically FIGHT or actually injure each other to stress out to the point one or the others develops health problems. Stress is subtle and cumulative especially for animals that are naturally solitary. The animals are constantly competing for the best basking spot, the pick of the food, the best places to rest, to observe the world, to drink, everything. Keeping them in a captive situation is stressful enough without adding territorial frustration. In a wild habitat they would separate themselves by entire trees or shrubs dozens of feet apart with a chance to retreat out of sight. In a captive situation like yours they can't do this. You may not realize it but just looking at your pictures I see two animals showing display coloration (stress) and who are as far apart as they can get. There are all sorts of visual signals that one of them is dominating the other. You don't notice it because you are not a cham. Believe us, they do notice. FWIW, your female needs her own space NOW. She needs to feel secure enough to lay her clutch at some point (fertile or not) and chances are she won't lay if she's under territorial pressure. At some point you may well be back asking how to deal with an eggbound veiled. But, what do we know....not sure how many cumulative years with how many hundreds of chams this forum has talked about over the decades.

Now thats the reply that i have been hoping to get. thanks alot Carlton I will be seperating them both by tommrow, I have two cages ready by tommrow.
thanks heaps~!

You are in the wrong forum if you believe they are ok together. You will hear this over and over again. Unless you have a room size enclosure with a ton of foliage to create visual separation, you are slowly killing your chameleons. Your hard headed stance on keeping them together will earn you no admiration here. Again, do what is scientifically and proven best practice. Please separate the two, and set up a laying bin for the female.
Goose i hear you man, like i said i have my two cages ready by tommorow so no worries there cheers

Hey Scot my female cham started digging
how long would she dig for? until she think its safe or ?

and is it possible for her to layeggs by tonight? its 11am here

Carlton she started digging
how long is the process to lay the eggs? cheers

thanks Mat, do you know how long she will digg for till she lay eggs?
I don't think James was trying to be rude I also once took my chances of this someone I heard had successfully housed a male and female together. This info was false I later learned. So I thought I would take my chances everyone who said it wouldn't work I completely ignored I thought that I could do this and I would show everyone they were fine. Everything went well until they matured they would open there mouths and snap at each other running around the cage. I was so foolish to think it was natural and one was just wanting to be dominant... well the girl started isolating herself in a corner hiding 24/7 refusing to eat or drink I finally separated them but it was to late she wouldn't eat and slowly died. I highly advice you to please don't be like me I completely understand you thinking they just wanted a friend like us humans. But unfortunately Chams do not want a "Friend".

Thank
I don't think James was trying to be rude I also once took my chances of this someone I heard had successfully housed a male and female together. This info was false I later learned. So I thought I would take my chances everyone who said it wouldn't work I completely ignored I thought that I could do this and I would show everyone they were fine. Everything went well until they matured they would open there mouths and snap at each other running around the cage. I was so foolish to think it was natural and one was just wanting to be dominant... well the girl started isolating herself in a corner hiding 24/7 refusing to eat or drink I finally separated them but it was to late she wouldn't eat and slowly died. I highly advice you to please don't be like me I completely understand you thinking they just wanted a friend like us humans. But unfortunately Chams do not want a "Friend".
s for the reply, you said matured as in fully grown? how old were they when it was fine?
just curious, yup i have seperated them both

Back
Top Bottom