Is my panther chameleon being a BUTT?? Or should i just let him be?

brilowe1991

Correct me if this isn't the correct place to post-I'm a newbie to the forums.

I just adopted a Panther Chameleon last month and he was being super tame when I first got him, just wanted out of his cage. Although, the owners prior didn't have enough foliage and branches for him to run/hide in. So when I adopted him, I remodeled his WHOLE cage adding 3 new in door plants, hanging vines, etc. Also, he was only on a cricket based diet that were gut fed. I've now changed that up to meal worms as a treat, super worms, wax worms... I haven't tried dubia's yet; my pet store didn't have them but there on order. I don't think he was misted enough either. So, I've increased that up to 6 times a day. Got new bulbs for his basking light/heat on for 12 on and 12 off. Now, my question is how can i get him to 'want' to come out of his cage? I want to be able to take him outside to get natural sunlight... but its like all of a sudden he loves his cage and is like "NOPE NOT COMMING OUT WOMAN". I seem to stress him out when I try to get him to come out so I usually stop with in 5 mins. Don't get me wrong, I'm DEFINITILY not aggressive with him, kinda just let him be. He hasn't hissed, snapped, or even threatened me 'much', just more as of runs away lol maybe a little puff up (what a little punk). I'm really not interested into using a branch or something else to lure him out... more concerns of just if he's active enough? He's really healthy, and eating like champ! He's about a year in a half. I haven't seen him drink water yet though. Should I leave him be and just keep trying to leave his cage open while I'm supervising it? Maybe he'll come out on his own?

Thanks in advance!! ♥

Attachments

• blue2.jpg
    blue2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 119
you need to take this a step at a time
you start out by hand feeding so he can get use to you and he still is pretty new to your place so it might take some time
also he might've not liked his cage he was in at first and now he really likes his cage and doesn't want to get out

you need to take this a step at a time
you start out by hand feeding so he can get use to you and he still is pretty new to your place so it might take some time
also he might've not liked his cage he was in at first and now he really likes his cage and doesn't want to get out
He eats right out of my hand no problem, that's the funny thing haha! I don't get it lol, it's like he's playing tricks on me! :p but yes I was thinking the same thing... maybe he's just really liking the environment! Thank you for replying!

I'll just tell you what worked for me. I set up a plant near his cage on a stool, opened his cage, put branches to the plant and hung some vines from his cage to the wall. When i was home i'd leave it open and he eventually ventured out. Within 2 weeks he always wanted out. Now i have to dodge him trying to jump on me at every chance he gets. He also lives on a free range full time. I think being out of the cage helps a lot, but i've only had this cham so maybe for another it wouldn't work. I can't say for sure.

I'll just tell you what worked for me. I set up a plant near his cage on a stool, opened his cage, put branches to the plant and hung some vines from his cage to the wall. When i was home i'd leave it open and he eventually ventured out. Within 2 weeks he always wanted out. Now i have to dodge him trying to jump on me at every chance he gets. He also lives on a free range full time. I think being out of the cage helps a lot, but i've only had this cham so maybe for another it wouldn't work. I can't say for sure.
I definitely like that. I have to try something like this. I'm going to repticon this weekend hopefully I can get more good quality bendable vines for cheaper. Was thinking about making my own. I love that idea you gave me.. thank you, much appreciated!

FullSizeRender.jpg
Thank you! Just took this before bedtime. Update now as well: He was drinking water Really well! Before i said I haven't seen him drink but a couple hours before bedtime he was drinking up all the water on the plants. So happy he's happy now!

Beautiful cham! When I take my veiled outside i just pick up the whole enclosure and put it on a 3 ft chair in the yard. He loooooves it! I also do that because I leave him out for anywhere between an hour to three hours daily and I don't want him getting hurt, roaming off, or potentially getting harassed by birds or other things. Part of the cage is in the shade so he can move into it if he's too hot. He always turns a beautiful color when I take him out for Sun and stays that color the remainder of the day.

Beautiful cham! When I take my veiled outside i just pick up the whole enclosure and put it on a 3 ft chair in the yard. He loooooves it! I also do that because I leave him out for anywhere between an hour to three hours daily and I don't want him getting hurt, roaming off, or potentially getting harassed by birds or other things. Part of the cage is in the shade so he can move into it if he's too hot. He always turns a beautiful color when I take him out for Sun and stays that color the remainder of the day.
I just need to take out my pots and of course the lights then that would be fine, I was thinking that route as well. I'm probably going to do this! Thank you

Slow and steady wins the race. I feel your pain, my little Sherman was the same way. Do you blame them for not wanting out a nice environment? Hand feeding, followed by letting him crawl on your hand to get to the food followed by slowly acclimating him to you handling him.

He's very cool looking. How old and when you say adopt, do you mean bought?

Back
Top Bottom