Is My Guy Sick?

SamW

So,

It's that time of year. I haven't been sick in ages, but I think my veiled male might have caught a cold? He seems to be okay; he is active, he eats, and looks handsome as usual. Although, when he exhales through his nostrils (either out of frustration or I guess just because..) he sounds like he has a sniffle. I've considered that he may have too much nose candy (aka calcium) all blocked up there, but I'm not sure? It's nothing excessive or frightening, but I am slightly concerned. Questions or thoughts?

Appreciated as always,

Sam and Samir

So,

It's that time of year. I haven't been sick in ages, but I think my veiled male might have caught a cold? He seems to be okay; he is active, he eats, and looks handsome as usual. Although, when he exhales through his nostrils (either out of frustration or I guess just because..) he sounds like he has a sniffle. I've considered that he may have too much nose candy (aka calcium) all blocked up there, but I'm not sure? It's nothing excessive or frightening, but I am slightly concerned. Questions or thoughts?

Appreciated as always,

Sam and Samir
Ok we need a little more information. Can you have your chameleon crawl close to your ear? You need to see if you can hear a popping noise. The other thing you want to see is if your chams seems to hold his head up and breathe through his mouth.

If the only problem you see is white around his nose it is most likely just him blowing excess out. Pictures would help a lot.

sneezing

Ok we need a little more information. Can you have your chameleon crawl close to your ear? You need to see if you can hear a popping noise. The other thing you want to see is if your chams seems to hold his head up and breathe through his mouth.

If the only problem you see is white around his nose it is most likely just him blowing excess out. Pictures would help a lot.

Would this popping noise be consistent with his breathing, or would it be irregular? I also just heard him "sneeze," which I think was the other noise I was trying to describe earlier..it just didn't come to mind. I'm not able to provide pictures at the moment, but I certainly can if it is necessary -I'm not arguing your opinion or knowledge, but I don't think a photo would help with this issue (other than you may be able to recognize some excess calcium from his nostrils). Definitely correct me if I'm mistaken. He seems seems to be breathing "normal," in regards to his mouth being open or closed.. it's closed.

Sam

(He's propped very close to the screen so I just now help my ear close to him, and let's just say the only noise I heard was a roar-like hiss.) -_-

Noises that Laurie describes could be the start of a respiratory infection which needs to be caught early and needs a visit to vet.:)

Noises that Laurie describes could be the start of a respiratory infection which needs to be caught early and needs a visit to vet.:)

Do you know if these noises are consistent with breathing or are they random?

Do you know if these noises are consistent with breathing or are they random?

Haven't had a Cham with this problem but I think it would be consistent with breathing. Someone who has experience with RI will hopefully chip in.:)

In early or mild respiratory infections the noise can be sporadic but as the condition worsens it becomes increasingly consistent and increase in intensity.

Does anyone have experience with diagnosing/treating this? I've never taken him to a vet's office and would like to know what I should expect for procedures/payment. He has also experienced some constant shedding around his 'yellow stripes,' as I have mentioned before, but I've been instructed to water/mist him more often and I have been. Just some additional info.

Sam

Does anyone have experience with diagnosing/treating this? I've never taken him to a vet's office and would like to know what I should expect for procedures/payment. He has also experienced some constant shedding around his 'yellow stripes,' as I have mentioned before, but I've been instructed to water/mist him more often and I have been. Just some additional info.

Sam

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
T would be a good idea if you copied and paste and filled in the form above. We could look at your husbandry and you could give a copy to your vet. If you do think he has a RI you would be best to take him to vet sooner rather than later as it won't get better on its own.:)

So, I've been working on a paper right next to his cage. He's been asleep, and twice I have heard him "hiss." It sounds like air being released from a bike tire, or a sigh. Is this the popping noise you are referring to? I know you can't say for sure, but 'popping noise' is hard to distinguish. I am taking him to the vet soon, but have classes and need to locate a vet and figure it my finances.

So, I've been working on a paper right next to his cage. He's been asleep, and twice I have heard him "hiss." It sounds like air being released from a bike tire, or a sigh. Is this the popping noise you are referring to? I know you can't say for sure, but 'popping noise' is hard to distinguish. I am taking him to the vet soon, but have classes and need to locate a vet and figure it my finances.

You say he is sleeping? Is it during the day or at lights of time?

Back
Top Bottom