Is my female veiled Gravid?

Moonlitmaiden

I have a female veiled chameleon. I adopted her from a pet store late December. So I estimate she is about 5 months to maybe 7 months. Sadly the reptile distributors do not provide the birth dates for reptiles for an accurate age.

Anyway, I have been searching this site and many others to learn about my veiled and when she will be ready to lay eggs. March 12th she was mostly solid green. And maybe a few days later I noticed she had adorable brown spots on her sides with blue sporadically throughout.

I will attach photos for everyone.

I just want to know are these receptive colors, gravid colors or just her normal coloration. I do have a laying bin in her cage, but she hasnt seemed to use it.

Attachments

• 20190314_223316.jpg
    20190314_223316.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190324_211014.jpg
    20190324_211014.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 148
Receptive. Can you tell us how you built your bin and provide a pic of her viv?

Her viv is an 18x18x36, purchased from dragonstrand.com it's a hybrid breeder cage because I was having trouble with humidity due to my room and current temperature. I customized it by cutting a window in it, so natural sunlight can peak through (she also loves looking out the window). I currently use a 100watt heat lamp because shes on an antibiotic because her vet and I suspected a respiratory infection so as a precaution we provided that. She wasnt eating as much, so Her vet gave me carnivore critical care to feed her, but I recently cut back because if she is prepping for eggs, I read they may stop eating to not get over stuffed. She does not bother with insects as of now. I bought an extra large critter keeper from my pet store, its 14inch deep, 12 inch long and six inch wide I believe. I have it filled with moistened tropical soil. She has dug in it many times prepping. I made a st a starter hole for her this morning, and she patched it over today, making me think she laid. But when I searched it, there were no eggs. She has her uvb, and I have plenty of fake plants as of now, the weather has been terrible for live plants. But I do have a baby umbrella plant in her lay bin which also helps retain moisture.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1611359922.jpg
    Snapchat-1611359922.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 158
Are you still using the compact uvb bulb or have you changes it out to a long linear fixture like a T5HO or T8?

Are you still using the compact uvb bulb or have you changes it out to a long linear fixture like a T5HO or T8?

I do currently use a coiled bulb. My vet said it was okay even though I read different opinions on them. She doesnt seem to have any issue getting the rays from it. I have it more towards the center of the screen top so not many spots in her cage don't get touched by it

I do currently use a coiled bulb. My vet said it was okay even though I read different opinions on them. She doesnt seem to have any issue getting the rays from it. I have it more towards the center of the screen top so not many spots in her cage don't get touched by it
A coil bulb is not nearly as effective and is one of the most common reasons why chams develope MBD. Which may actually be one of the reasons for her health decline. You are needing a linear fixture to provide a wide deep arch of UVB into her enclosure and it should be centered across her enclosure... Here is a video that shows why they are not recommended for Chams.

A coil bulb is not nearly as effective and is one of the most common reasons why chams develope MBD. Which may actually be one of the reasons for her health decline. You are needing a linear fixture to provide a wide deep arch of UVB into her enclosure and it should be centered across her enclosure... Here is a video that shows why they are not recommended for Chams.

Okay. I will get one ordered asap. My pet store doesnt sell the hoods for linear fixtures, only the bulbs

Okay. I will get one ordered asap. My pet store doesnt sell the hoods for linear fixtures, only the bulbs
You can order online. I highly recommend a T5HO fixture and a 10.0 zoo med bulb or a 12% arcadia bulb. Lightyourreptiles.com sells fixtures with bulbs as well. Center it across the cage. And make sure her highest basking branch is about 7 inches below it.

You can order online. I highly recommend a T5HO fixture and a 10.0 zoo med bulb or a 12% arcadia bulb. Lightyourreptiles.com sells fixtures with bulbs as well. Center it across the cage. And make sure her highest basking branch is about 7 inches below it.

Sounds great. Thank you. Already ordered it. I compared pricing to my favorite reptile site and Amazon had it cheaper

You can get the Arcadia T5HO as a fixture. It's very slim and stylish and I love them. They are not a multi tube hood but if you don't need multiple tubes, they get 10/10 from me.

Back
Top Bottom