Is my female gravid? She acts weird

Anastasia_k

Hi all, so my female veiled has these weird colors today, she used to be more green and recently started having more orange stripes, and just now started pacing nervously around the cage, before she was calm all day. When I opened the door to take a clear picture she ran down and tried to get out of the cage, it was so weird she's never done anything like that before, and she was hissing when I put her back. She seems to get more nervous in my presence too. She is also just finishing shedding now, could that have something to do with it? I got her about a month ago and they told me in the pet shop that she's 3 or 4 months old, could she already be gravid? I'm attaching a photo of how she looks now. She also had a parasite recently and was treated for it, and on Tuesday we are going to the vet for the second dose of medication so I'll ask him what's up, but until then what should I do?? I'm really worried.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 90
hmm, can you post pictures of her back feet, she is showing colors very similar to that of a male veiled. I could be wrong but still her colors look like male colors to me

Here's the closest I could get to her feet so far. She seems really nervous around me now though she used to be very calm, and I saw her going to the bottom of the cage looking for something, her belly and colors I thought also indicate that she's gravid. But I would be happy to find out if I'm wrong :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 76
hmm, can you post pictures of her back feet, she is showing colors very similar to that of a male veiled. I could be wrong but still her colors look like male colors to me
Ok so I've been watching closely and there are most definitely some little lumps at the end of her back (his) feet. Why was my chameleon acting so weird then? Running down to the bottom, trying to escape, and so on? Could it be that he's getting territorial? I was away for vacation for a week and only got back on Friday, my neighbor was watching her (or him) in the meantime. Does my Cham need time to get used to me again? We were just starting to do so well with handling (I would let him free range on a houseplant and he even climbed on me once), it would suck if he hates me forever now :(

Here's the closest I could get to her feet so far. She seems really nervous around me now though she used to be very calm, and I saw her going to the bottom of the cage looking for something, her belly and colors I thought also indicate that she's gravid. But I would be happy to find out if I'm wrong :)
Yes he is definitely a little boy. I would just try to give him some time try hand feeding maybe. don't force him out of his cage. if you want to free range him, you can put a plant next to his cage with the door open so he can go onto it if he wishes to. how long have you had him? building trust with a Cham is not a very quick process especially with veiled. If you think something is wrong healthwise then you can fill out the ask for help form so people who are better at Cham health can help you out.

adding to that chams get grumpy when shedding because it is an uncomfortable process. Is he still acting weird even after his shed?

adding to that chams get grumpy when shedding because it is an uncomfortable process. Is he still acting weird even after his shed?
He started shedding about a week ago and almost completely shed everything except for a little part on his belly. That's the first shedding I witnessed so far. Also he had a parasite and is still being treated for it, so maybe he's not fully healed yet and it's causing him discomfort. I had him for about a month now, at first he was shy and hissed a lot, then began to tolerate me much more, then began stressed again (turned out because of the parasite), then after first course of medication became calmer and had his happy green colors, then I went on vacation for a week and came back to an aggressive chameleon who is trying to escape and also turns out to be a male haha :) Today he was really struggling to get out so I opened the door and let him climb on me, he still seemed stressed and restless though. Maybe he is just hitting puberty? He does eat from my hand though so that's good I guess :) I will start free ranging him after he's 100% parasite free to prevent further infestation. I'll go to the vet on Tuesday for the second medication round and talk to him too. Thank you for pointing out that he looks like a male! I would keep thinking he's a female otherwise and worry about laying bins :)

Last edited:
He started shedding about a week ago and almost completely shed everything except for a little part on his belly. That's the first shedding I witnessed so far. Also he had a parasite and is still being treated for it, so maybe he's not fully healed yet and it's causing him discomfort. I had him for about a month now, at first he was shy and hissed a lot, then began to tolerate me much more, then began stressed again (turned out because of the parasite), then after first course of medication became calmer and had his happy green colors, then I went on vacation for a week and came back to an aggressive chameleon who is trying to escape and also turns out to be a male haha :) Today he was really struggling to get out so I opened the door and let him climb on me, he still seemed stressed and restless though. Maybe he is just hitting puberty? He does eat from my hand though so that's good I guess :) I will start free ranging him after he's 100% parasite free to prevent further infestation. I'll go to the vet on Tuesday for the second medication round and talk to him too. Thank you for pointing out that he looks like a male! I would keep thinking he's a female otherwise and worry about laying bins :)
no problem! my guess is that he is still uncomfortable from the parasite and doesn't really want to be bothered at the moment. Wait and see after he is parasite free if he still acts weird. if thats the case then you should ask someone who is keen on chameleon sickness

How do you know he has/had a parasite? What parasite? What's it being treated with? Are you disinfecting the cage, etc.?

How do you know he has/had a parasite? What parasite? What's it being treated with? Are you disinfecting the cage, etc.?
His stool became slimy 2 weeks ago so I took a sample to the vet to get tested and he said there was a parasite, I forgot which one though:( I will go to the vet tomorrow again for the treatment and find out everything. I remember that it was some small one-cell parasite which is only transmitted through feces and only affects reptiles. I'm desenfecting the cage with ammonia based solution which the vet recommended.

Back
Top Bottom