Is my chameleon suppose to be these dark colors?

Lacyw05

My chameleon is very dark and I’m wondering if he is ok? I read they do get dark when trying to retain heat is that what this is? @MissSkittles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 126
Hi there,

So chameleons can turn dark in color for a number of reasons, including being cold or stress. IMHO he looks more of a dull green to me as opposed to "dark" but I'll refer to the experts on this @Beman @MissSkittles

It is really important to measure & keep track of temperature and humidity in a cham's enclosure for this reason. Digital thermometer/hygrometers work better and are more accurate than analog, and you can buy them as a combo meter. There's a bunch out there including ones made by zoomed and zilla. I think some people use the ones you can buy at hardware stores too- as long as it's accurate.

Is he always the "dark" color you're describing, or only when he's basking? Also, are you sure he's a boy? How old is he?

You will have to ask someone else about the thermometers but for your first question, what are your temperatures
82 at the highest and then 70% humidity which I don’t know how I need to lower the humidity.... I mean I could not mist it as much but then the enclosure dries up super fast and he has a dripper and when I did mist it for like five minutes the humidity went to 70 and skyrockets to 90

82 at the highest and then 70% humidity which I don’t know how I need to lower the humidity.... I mean I could not mist it as much but then the enclosure dries up super fast and he has a dripper and when I did mist it for like five minutes the humidity went to 70 and skyrockets to 90
Your enclosure should dry out during the day. It should be dry enough that your humidity can drop to 30% even.
Only mist in the morning before lights on, and in the evening after lights off, for about 2-5 minutes.

Having constant moisture and high heat can lead to other issues like a respiratory infection.

Your enclosure should dry out during the day. It should be dry enough that your humidity can drop to 30% even.
Only mist in the morning before lights on, and in the evening after lights off, for about 2-5 minutes.

Having constant moisture and high heat can lead to other issues like a respiratory infection.
Thank you that is super helpful I thought it need to be at like 60 all day and I must with the lights on !! Now I will when they r off and it’s ok for it get to 35% 30% ?

Thank you that is super helpful I thought it need to be at like 60 all day and I must with the lights on !! Now I will when they r off and it’s ok for it get to 35% 30% ?
Yes, chameleons want moist/humid and cool nights, but dry and warm days. 30-50% humidity during the day is ideal, and then at night it can bump up to 70-100% humidity.

I like to run my fogger at night during the coolest parts (like from 12-4am) to bump up humidity, and I mist for 3-4 minutes before I turn on my lights(7am). Then I do not mist at all during the day, until my lights go off at 7pm, which is when i will mist for another 3-4 minutes.

Yes, chameleons want moist/humid and cool nights, but dry and warm days. 30-50% humidity during the day is ideal, and then at night it can bump up to 70-100% humidity.

I like to run my fogger at night during the coolest parts (like from 12-4am) to bump up humidity, and I mist for 3-4 minutes before I turn on my lights(7am). Then I do not mist at all during the day, until my lights go off at 7pm, which is when i will mist for another 3-4 minutes.
Do these look correct @MissSkittles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 72
I have the same issue, I run a dripper all day and all night to give him drinking opportunities bc the enclosure does dry fast. How often are you misting?

I have the same issue, I run a dripper all day and all night to give him drinking opportunities bc the enclosure does dry fast. How often are you misting?
We have only had him for two days now and i would mist every two/3 hours but that would raise the humidity to 90 because I didn’t do that when the lights were off , but without misting , the temps and humidity are perfect and he has his dripper to get water even tho the enclosure itself looks dry ~ what would u recommend, do I need to mist throughout the day if the temps and humidity are fine ? And I will mist before I turn on lights and at night after lights are off now

Is my chameleon a normal color ?

Attachments

• 8466BF21-C5D8-4064-AEC8-7B106DE27D04.jpeg
    8466BF21-C5D8-4064-AEC8-7B106DE27D04.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 77
We have only had him for two days now and i would mist every two/3 hours but that would raise the humidity to 90 because I didn’t do that when the lights were off , but without misting , the temps and humidity are perfect and he has his dripper to get water even tho the enclosure itself looks dry ~ what would u recommend, do I need to mist throughout the day if the temps and humidity are fine ? And I will mist before I turn on lights and at night after lights are off now
You only need to mist for at least 2 minutes right before/after lights on and lights off. Since you use a dripper, you can run that mid day for at least 20 mins. You want the enclosure to dry out in between misting.

It's ok if the enclosure dries for a little as long as you have a dripper for him to drink, I only mist in the morning when I turn his lights on, about noon, and then again before I turn his lights off. It does raise the humidity a little but then it goes back down, do you have a fan in the room? I have a ceiling fan that helps with air flow so he doesnt get a respiratory infection because I have clear shower curtain on the back and on the 2 sides of his enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom