Is my Chameleon stressed?

Lacilolol

I recently moved my Veiled Cham into a larger enclosure (2ft x 4ft). At first I had more of an open cage with no large plants that he seemed to like. More of vines, but I came across a large Dracaena that I put into his cage. Now he is always moving around and going to the very bottom and climbing on his cage (which he never did before!) I’m thinking the plant is too big so in the morning I’m going to Home Depot and getting a Money Tree. Tell me your thoughts on this!

I would say your Cham is probably just exploring the new setup. My Cham only climbs on the walls and stuff when he’s hungry though. I would say that he might be a little stressed due to the new stuff but in a few days time he should be fine.

Also, I have a money tree in Dipper’s cage and he climbs all over and it’s his favorite place to sleep. I highly recommend them.

Chams are like cats, they don't like change, ever put new furniture or move furniture around in a cat familiar house? Lol.. it will just take a few days for your cham to settle in

I moved Beman over a week ago. I am now dealing with a total personality change. Everything makes an impact on them from a change in natural lighting in your room, to new plants, less plants, bigger cage, etc. It all impacts them. I would give him another week and see if he starts to settle. I am not sure if money trees are safe for chams... I want to say they aren't but I am not 100% sure on that.

I moved Beman over a week ago. I am now dealing with a total personality change. Everything makes an impact on them from a change in natural lighting in your room, to new plants, less plants, bigger cage, etc. It all impacts them. I would give him another week and see if he starts to settle. I am not sure if money trees are safe for chams... I want to say they aren't but I am not 100% sure on that.

Some people confuse a Jade Plant, Crassula Ovata, with a Money Tree, Pachira aquatica or a Guiana Chestnut. Jade Plant -- toxic. Money Tree - not toxic

I believe I have read on here that it's not necessarily that they arent safe but that they arent sturdy enough. The branches break very easily, probably because they arent really branches so much as they are just long stemmed leaves, so they cant support the weight of a cham. I know that they are not on the cham safe plant list.

Some people confuse a Jade Plant, Crassula Ovata, with a Money Tree, Pachira aquatica or a Guiana Chestnut. Jade Plant -- toxic. Money Tree - not toxic
Wonderful thank you hun!

I believe I have read on here that it's not necessarily that they arent safe but that they arent sturdy enough. The branches break very easily, probably because they arent really branches so much as they are just long stemmed leaves, so they cant support the weight of a cham. I know that they are not on the cham safe plant list.
Yes, I think that is why most people don't use them for the larger species. Thank you for the reminder.

Could it be possible he is going through puberty? How old is he? Also, is he showing stress colors? @Beman you think this could be part of it?
It is possible. But I wanna say her cham is a year or so. I don't remember exactly. With the cage upgrade that is more likely to be the issue to me. He is just exploring his new territory. Trying to make sure that no one is in there with him lol

My chameleon loves exploring her home.
She usually goes black when she's stressed.
Maybe that is also a sign of stress in veileds.

Update! So I got a big Money Tree and it has awesome coverage! He seems much more relaxed now.

Attachments

• B4C7AD8B-DEC9-403D-8AE9-A1D6E182902A.jpeg
    B4C7AD8B-DEC9-403D-8AE9-A1D6E182902A.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 92
Money trees contain the same thing as pothos which make them toxic. As with every "toxin" it could be anything from irritating ficus sap to deadly nightshade. Look into the toxins in particular and not just the "toxic" label. If veileds are apparently fine off pothos, then they should be with money trees too. There could be different amounts in each, but if veileds strip pothos with no short or longterm effects then there should be nothing to worry about. With that said, I don't think anyone has proof that oxalates don't cause longterm damage on chameleons. Not saying they do, but that no one knows for certain.

Back
Top Bottom