is my chameleon ready to lay eggs?

Hi there, i have a female veiled chameleon and i’m a bit concerned for her. i’ve had her for maybe 4 months and she recently just stopped eating and looks a lot more swollen. i was told this could be due to needing to lay eggs but i’m not sure so i wanted to get some help. this is what she looks like now... (btw she was puffing up here a bit but i don’t overfeed her and i’m not sure if is that time, i have a flower pot in there for her that is deep with the subtrate and it is moist in there. I still offer crickets but i take them out if they aren’t eaten.
62D9CE19-BC69-47FA-93CB-3CBAA9A6B3B4.png

its this subtrate from my pet store, i was actually going to get some play sand but i put that there for now. The lay bin is a flower pot that is 8 inches tall, and it’s maybe 6 inches deep

its this subtrate from my pet store, i was actually going to get some play sand but i put that there for now. The lay bin is a flower pot that is 8 inches tall, and it’s maybe 6 inches deep
Can you take a picture of it and the enclosure so we can see how you have it set up? I would get the playsand. The problem with not using it and using substrate is that they dig a tunnel and it can collapse on them.
I will tag a few keepers that have females as well so they can give you feedback when you post your pics. @janjan20 @MissSkittles @AmandaS

View attachment 278222btw do i need another vine or anything?
Your going to need many more branches... But most importantly you have to upgrade your UVB lighting asap to a t5ho fixture with a 5.0 uvb bulb. The type you have leads to MBD in Chameleons. This is specifically dangerous for females as they become egg bound when trying to lay. I will let the female keepers help you with your husbandry but you might consider filling out this form so we can see if you got the correct info about her care. Be as detailed as possible in your responses please.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Your going to need many more branches... But most importantly you have to upgrade your UVB lighting asap to a t5ho fixture with a 5.0 uvb bulb. The type you have leads to MBD in Chameleons. This is specifically dangerous for females as they become egg bound when trying to lay. I will let the female keepers help you with your husbandry but you might consider filling out this form so we can see if you got the correct info about her care. Be as detailed as possible in your responses please.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
what would i upgrade the uvb to?

So far, I'd say that @Beman has got everything...
It would be awesome if you got that husbandry form filled out. Looks like she needs a few upgrades.
how will my chameleon know how to lay eggs if she’s never done it, and she’s also starting to turn dark green, she drinks water and eats her food so i know there isn’t a problem there. it’s been a while and she hasn’t layed any eggs and i don’t know what to do

how will my chameleon know how to lay eggs if she’s never done it, and she’s also starting to turn dark green, she drinks water and eats her food so i know there isn’t a problem there. it’s been a while and she hasn’t layed any eggs and i don’t know what to do
So, it is a normal and natural occurrence for them. They just know how to by instincts. You can dig a small hole in the play sand so she sees it and it may spark her interest to start digging.
Can you post a photo of her? And a photo of her enclosure?

Did you ever get your husbandry care sheet filled up??

So, it is a normal and natural occurrence for them. They just know how to by instincts. You can dig a small hole in the play sand so she sees it and it may spark her interest to start digging.
Can you post a photo of her? And a photo of her enclosure?

Did you ever get your husbandry care sheet filled up??
Scroll up :( they did not fill out the help form and there are multiple important husbandry issues.

Back
Top Bottom