Is my chameleon healthy?

Lolo

I got Zazu Feb 8th and am a new chameleon owner. I just want to make sure that she is healthy. She isn’t growing very fast and didn’t know if that was normal or not. We have a vet appointment Saturday but I want to see if there’s anything I can do to improve on. In her cage she has small crickets and Dubia roaches (available all the time) covered in calcium without D3 and then I do the calcium with D3 once a month. I have a misting system for her coming in the mail, but do mist her cage several times a day. Below is my cage set up for her with a live umbrella tree and some vines to climb on
I I
B49D6615-FFAD-4670-9168-A486476D9D59.jpeg

Attachments

• 29BC7AE8-9DF8-4DEB-B14B-21617A5793C9.jpeg
    29BC7AE8-9DF8-4DEB-B14B-21617A5793C9.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 70
What is the rest of your setup? I see a linear UVB bulb, and 2 other round bulbs.

Typically babies do not get basking bulbs.

Typically babies get D3 more than once a both due to them doubling in weight every 4-6 weeks.

But the cham doesnt look unhealthy. No signs of metabolic bone disease, looks like a healthy weight, and looks hydrated.

What is the rest of your setup? I see a linear UVB bulb, and 2 other round bulbs.

Typically babies do not get basking bulbs.

Typically babies get D3 more than once a both due to them doubling in weight every 4-6 weeks.

But the cham doesnt look unhealthy. No signs of metabolic bone disease, looks like a healthy weight, and looks hydrated.
I have a T8 reptisun 10.0 Uvb and a 60w heat bulb as well. The temp stays between 75-80 then I turn all lights off at night where the temp goes to 65-70 degrees. I can do D3 more as well, I just got nervous doing so cause I read a lot of different articles about it. I have a homemade dripper on top of the cage as well. The second bulb was a plant light, but I’ve taken that out and now just use the 2 lights (uvb and heat bulb)

I have a T8 reptisun 10.0 Uvb and a 60w heat bulb as well. The temp stays between 75-80 then I turn all lights off at night where the temp goes to 65-70 degrees. I can do D3 more as well, I just got nervous doing so cause I read a lot of different articles about it. I have a homemade dripper on top of the cage as well. The second bulb was a plant light, but I’ve taken that out and now just use the 2 lights (uvb and heat bulb). Thank you, that makes me feel better!!

Does she always have her eyes closed or does she close them during the day?

Here’s how I recommend keeping young veileds.
So in the picture I used, I put her on a plant in the shower (not directly under the water) so she could get hydrated. She does normally have her eyes open and is a very bright green color. I’m not sure how old she is, she seems thicker when she’s relaxed but when she’s stressed she gets really skinny. When I hold her she stays a brighter green color.

Looks like the eyes are closed from a water spray and just enjoying the bath!
She also throws her head back and opens her mouth, that’s normal too right? I’m just paranoid I’m doing the right thing for her lol. The white bump on her head is getting checked out by a vet this week, it may be an abscess.

Attachments

• 0B7D771F-49A6-4D08-81A5-ACC4DFA6E353.jpeg
    0B7D771F-49A6-4D08-81A5-ACC4DFA6E353.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 87
Add picture of the bump I'm sure one of the more experienced keepers will ask you too anyways. On a side note you said in the shower? Tap water is not the best option due to chlorine and fluoride in it.

That white bump is definitely concerning. Good idea to go to the vet.

When you get a chance, look into switching from a T8 UVB to a T5. T8s used to be the general UVB recommendation, but most chameleon keepers have switched to using a linear T5 UVB.

That white bump is definitely concerning. Good idea to go to the vet.

When you get a chance, look into switching from a T8 UVB to a T5. T8s used to be the general UVB recommendation, but most chameleon keepers have switched to using a linear T5 UVB.
Ok thank you :)

The T8 reptisun 10.0 Uvb is fine. Replace it in 6-9 months with a T5 HO 5.0 reptisun.

Switch your D3 to once every 2 weeks. Maybe even every week depending on your brand of D3. My stick tongue farms is so low i can use it every feeding, but some brands you only want to use every 2 weeks.

You are on the right path. As far a health, real hard to tell from a pic, but you are already going to a vet, so problem solved. Listen to the experts here they have good advice.
Also , get your money out of the vet. Prepare a list of questions for him. This way you won't forget to ask something. It may also expose his/her experience level.

You are on the right path. As far a health, real hard to tell from a pic, but you are already going to a vet, so problem solved. Listen to the experts here they have good advice.
Also , get your money out of the vet. Prepare a list of questions for him. This way you won't forget to ask something. It may also expose his/her experience level.
Ok great advice! Do you have any questions I should ask besides the general? Just because I’m new at this, I may not realize what I should be asking

Add picture of the bump I'm sure one of the more experienced keepers will ask you too anyways. On a side note you said in the shower? Tap water is not the best option due to chlorine and fluoride in it.
Ok thank you, it’s temporary until my misting system comes in this week. I didn’t want her to be dehydrated. I did just buy water conditioner to put in the water I use for misting her cage to help with the minerals.

Ok great advice! Do you have any questions I should ask besides the general? Just because I’m new at this, I may not realize what I should be asking
This is probably the best picture I have of the bump. Now when she is in the shower she did try to rub her face on the plant and also on my finger. I couldn’t tell if water got in her eye and then also I’ve only noticed this once but her head started twitching for a minute. I haven’t seen her do that since but didn’t know what that meant.

Attachments

• E0601B54-F741-430B-B37C-860534987040.jpeg
    E0601B54-F741-430B-B37C-860534987040.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 62

I would ask about proper diet. This will be a tell of specific knowledge. The info here should match.

What are warning signs of:
MBD.
Parasites
respiratory disease
Dehydration.

Ask him what he looks at to judge overall health.
Does he keep Chameleons, or have friends that do.

Mostly do not discount a vet due to lack of experience in an exotic. It can be hard to find. He is still going to be a very knowledgeable source of information.

As for overall care I would follow the advice you get here, a lot of long time keepers here. Don't get upset if vet gives different advice. He may not have the best care info, but he will have the best illness knowledge, and how to treat. You can feel him out, many are open to new sources of info.

I would ask about proper diet. This will be a tell of specific knowledge. The info here should match.

What are warning signs of:
MBD.
Parasites
respiratory disease
Dehydration.

Ask him what he looks at to judge overall health.
Does he keep Chameleons, or have friends that do.

Mostly do not discount a vet due to lack of experience in an exotic. It can be hard to find. He is still going to be a very knowledgeable source of information.

As for overall care I would follow the advice you get here, a lot of long time keepers here. Don't get upset if vet gives different advice. He may not have the best care info, but he will have the best illness knowledge, and how to treat. You can feel him out, many are open to new sources of info.
Thank you!

This is probably the best picture I have of the bump. Now when she is in the shower she did try to rub her face on the plant and also on my finger. I couldn’t tell if water got in her eye and then also I’ve only noticed this once but her head started twitching for a minute. I haven’t seen her do that since but didn’t know what that meant.

My guess would be that whatever the bump is, it causes inching and discomfort. That is most likely the behaviors you are seeing. Always learn, observe how she behaves while in this uncomfortable time, compare with how she is when feeling better. This could help you spot future issues quickly, before they become a problem.

Back
Top Bottom