Is my Chameleon Gravid or not??

CassieCumberland

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - She is a Veiled and has been mine for about 5mo
Handling - Everyday
Feeding - Twice a day, 3 crickets, they eat flukers orange/water bits and I sprinkle them 1-2 a week with Flukers Calcium
Supplements - Flukers
Watering - Pond, Spray Cage, considering eye dropper
Fecal Description - Not been tested, normal brown poop drops
History - no

Cage Info:
Cage Type - All around Glass EXOTERRA brand, large size, probably 3ftx 2ft x2 ft
Lighting - All day, off at about 9 to a night lamp
Temperature - 90ish in basking, 80ish in regular
Humidity - Maintaining humidity with spraying and misting often, pond, distributing bottled water into areas to create moisture and wetting a washcloth on top of the cage
Plants -no live plants
Placement - By my desk, there is no insulation in my house and now that it is becoming hotter, my room is pretty hot
Location - Oregon

A few days ago I noticed my veiled (she's about 5-7mo old) had been looking bloated/fat and has been digging at the bottom of the cage.
She does not look or act unhealthy, she climbs fine.
However, yesterday I noticed she hadn't eaten any of her 3 crickets and was still digging.
I started looking up conditions and saw that she might be gravid, so I got a place for her to try to lay her eggs set up. I put her in and she crawled around for a while but then got really mad, it was about 9 o'clock so I put her back and she went straight to sleep.
Today I noticed she was still acting weird. I called a vet and he said first off to check/test if her temperature was off. The temperature is fine and I adjusted things a little bit. She is still acting strange but I did see her eat something (It might have been a barkchip or a cricket!!!). I just now put her back into her sand pen to see if she wants to attempt to lay her eggs.
I'm not sure if she is gravid though, I don't see ANY sign of eggs nor feel any besides the bloated tummy.

Today, I put her in the sand pen for about 5-7 hours. She dug a few holes, but not tunnels. These holes were along the side of the pen.
She still hasn't eaten.
HELP!!:confused:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - She is a Veiled and has been mine for about 5mo
Handling - Everyday
Feeding - Twice a day, 3 crickets, they eat flukers orange/water bits and I sprinkle them 1-2 a week with Flukers Calcium gutload needs to be improved. You can find great info on fruits and veggies in blogs by sandrachameleon. Also your supplements are way off. you need a plain calcium without d3 for every feeding, a calcium with d3 for twice a month, and a multivitamin for twice a month
Supplements - Flukers
Watering - Pond, Spray Cage, considering eye dropper What pond? if you mean a waterfall, remove it please. they can grow bacteria and chams dont drink standing water. she should be misted at least 4 times a day.
Fecal Description - Not been tested, normal brown poop drops
History - no

Cage Info:
Cage Type - All around Glass EXOTERRA brand, large size, probably 3ftx 2ft x2 ft
Lighting - All day, off at about 9 to a night lamp no night lights. they need total darkness to sleep. do you have a UVB bulb??? if not, you need one asap!
Temperature - 90ish in basking, 80ish in regular90 is way to hot for a female. please reduce that to 83.
Humidity - Maintaining humidity with spraying and misting often, pond, distributing bottled water into areas to create moisture and wetting a washcloth on top of the cage
Plants -no live plants
Placement - By my desk, there is no insulation in my house and now that it is becoming hotter, my room is pretty hot
Location - Oregon

A few days ago I noticed my veiled (she's about 5-7mo old) had been looking bloated/fat and has been digging at the bottom of the cage.
She does not look or act unhealthy, she climbs fine.
However, yesterday I noticed she hadn't eaten any of her 3 crickets and was still digging.
I started looking up conditions and saw that she might be gravid, so I got a place for her to try to lay her eggs set up. I put her in and she crawled around for a while but then got really mad, it was about 9 o'clock so I put her back and she went straight to sleep.
Today I noticed she was still acting weird. I called a vet and he said first off to check/test if her temperature was off. The temperature is fine and I adjusted things a little bit. She is still acting strange but I did see her eat something (It might have been a barkchip or a cricket!!!). I just now put her back into her sand pen to see if she wants to attempt to lay her eggs.
I'm not sure if she is gravid though, I don't see ANY sign of eggs nor feel any besides the bloated tummy.

Today, I put her in the sand pen for about 5-7 hours. She dug a few holes, but not tunnels. These holes were along the side of the pen.
She still hasn't eaten.
HELP!!:confused:

she could be hanging aroudn the bottom because she is too hot.
but we cant tell about being gravid without photos of her.

please review my corrections in red and make changes.

supplements, gutloading, and UVB are very important when preventing MBD.

Thank you so much!!
She does have a UV lamp, I didnt know what watts so I didnt post about it.
It is on all day.

better to post that you have a uvb bulb, even if you dont know what kind, than to alarm some of the experts here. :D

If you can post some photos, I can help you determine if she is gravid or not.

you can see here in this photo, what my female looked like when gravid.

View attachment 55322

Last edited:
another possibility is that she is searching for moisture. if for some reason she isn't getting enough water, she may hang around the bottom looking for plants coming up, that she can eat.

I thought my veil was gravid, but it turned out my mister hadn't been working and the hand misting wasn't enough. She was traveling down to the bottom and uprooting plants and munching on leaves.

Not sure how many others have seen that happen, but i'll say before i couldn't get her to eat veggies, and now she eats everything.

Back
Top Bottom