Is my chameleon dead?

ragidi

Before anyone berates me, yes, I am a terrible owner and I am working to find someone who can care for Axel as I type this.

He is currently being hydrated by a humidifier and I'm spraying him with water. I am keeping him near the heating lamp (not too near, just close enough to be warm).

He is not moving and refusing to eat.

I am aware that dead chameleons turn black.

This is how he looks at the moment.

IMG-20200229-WA0012.jpg

Please just give me the facts. I am prepared to hear them. Thank you.

If he is not dead yet, he looks that he will be soon. Spraying him with water at this point will not do anything. Chams don’t absorb water through their skin. The best you could do for him is get him to a vet immediately, if for no other reason than to give him a humane death.

If he is not dead yet, he looks that he will be soon. Spraying him with water at this point will not do anything. Chams don’t absorb water through their skin. The best you could do for him is get him to a vet immediately, if for no other reason than to give him a humane death.
I don't think vets where I live provide euthanasia. I will take him to a vet nonetheless. Maybe something can be done.

That looks pretty dead to me, having just lost my panther a few weeks ago. If your guy isn't responding to any stimuli, doesn't show ANY signs of breathing, is basically limp, I'd probably say he's gone.

On a side note, I don't think anyone here is going to berate you, we just want to try and help the animal. I'd say if you're interested in keeping a chameleon again, you might want to go over what you had set up for Axel and see if it lines up with the care sheets and things like that. I'm going to be adopting my second panther in the early summer and I'm looking at chameleonacademy.com (this is Bill Strand of Dragonstrand and the Chameleon Breeder Podcast) for research into husbandry. One thing you'll find is that on here and different sites there's a wide variety of info on the care of these creatures, and it can be overwhelming when there's a lot of disagreement over lighting or supplementation or hydration etc. I think it behooves you to definitely keep these forums as a resource, but pick a few mentors to follow (like the breeder and Bill Strand or Muchadoaboutchameleons) and try and stick with their info as best you can, while also being willing to adapt based on how your chameleon's health is going.

Best of luck in the future and from someone who just lost his boy recently, my sympathies.

That looks pretty dead to me, having just lost my panther a few weeks ago. If your guy isn't responding to any stimuli, doesn't show ANY signs of breathing, is basically limp, I'd probably say he's gone.

On a side note, I don't think anyone here is going to berate you, we just want to try and help the animal. I'd say if you're interested in keeping a chameleon again, you might want to go over what you had set up for Axel and see if it lines up with the care sheets and things like that. I'm going to be adopting my second panther in the early summer and I'm looking at chameleonacademy.com (this is Bill Strand of Dragonstrand and the Chameleon Breeder Podcast) for research into husbandry. One thing you'll find is that on here and different sites there's a wide variety of info on the care of these creatures, and it can be overwhelming when there's a lot of disagreement over lighting or supplementation or hydration etc. I think it behooves you to definitely keep these forums as a resource, but pick a few mentors to follow (like the breeder and Bill Strand or Muchadoaboutchameleons) and try and stick with their info as best you can, while also being willing to adapt based on how your chameleon's health is going.

Best of luck in the future and from someone who just lost his boy recently, my sympathies.
I don't think I'll be getting any pet chameleons in the future. I'm closing that chapter for good.
I'm sorry for your loss, and I appreciate your sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom