Is my cage okay for my baby jackson chameleon?

RobotNinja1215

I was seeing if someone could shine their opinion on my cage for my new jackson chameleon. I have a 2 by 2 by 4 foot cage prepped and ready for when he is ready to transition to that cage. I know that have a glass cage is not reccomended, but I got a glass cage to contain more humidity in it often in the night. I also have a Repti Zoo THC15 to moniter heat and humidity and control it when Im not here because I still go to high school. I have a fogger, but before Ive tried to setup a misting machine, but it broke in under a week and it never worked out. I am waiting for leaves I ordered to come so he can have better exposure. Also my Chameleons name is Blue and is about 5 weeks old.

My Main questions are:
Is my cage okay?
What misting system should I get?
Do you think pinhead crickets or fruit flies are better?
Should I keep the foam in the back?
What wattage basking bulb should I use?
Should I leave the bottom bare or use paper towels to collect the water so I dont risk drowning him?

I think thats all my questions

forgot the pictures

Attachments

• 20201101_223721.jpg
    20201101_223721.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20201101_223718.jpg
    20201101_223718.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 114
You need way more foliage in the upper-middle section. Your Cham needs to be able to chose to hide in order not to be stressed—ie he needs to be able to disappear. As for misting system, I use mistking, as it will allow for the inevitable expansion. I wouldn’t think you need much of a basking bulb for a Jackson’s in a glass cage, but make sure you’re running a proper t5 for uvb. Why chose between fruit flies and pinheads? What’s more baby dubias can also be offered. Sure, the latter two gutload more easily, but fruit flies offer variety and hunting opportunities. Up to you in the bottom of the enclosure, but yes, paper towel is a good idea. (I like soil)

Hello! I notice you have an automatic mister, those are great. I would recommend adding some more plants and foliage and maybe a few more sticks and vines also I can’t see this in the picture, are you using a compact uvb or a linear uvb? Also what humidity is it I he at Jackson’s need to be a bit more humid than other Chams

Yes I am using a compact uvb, I know I should be using a hood uvb with T5 HO bulb. I have one actually but its 24" long and it would wobble off the top and Im worried it would fall.

Heres the other cage, I order dragon ledges that just came today actually.

Attachments

• 20201102_155339.jpg
    20201102_155339.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20201102_155421.jpg
    20201102_155421.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 94
Yes I am using a compact uvb, I know I should be using a hood uvb with T5 HO bulb. I have one actually but its 24" long and it would wobble off the top and Im worried it would fall.

Heres the other cage, I order dragon ledges that just came today actually.
Why don’t you just go straight to the bigger cage? Sorry, that wasn’t at all sarcastic: some people have good reasons for using a starter cage.

What age is the chameleon you are getting? Everything Kaizen said I agree completely.
Glass or screen are both fine but they need different adjustments depending on your household environment. Larger is usually better if set up properly.

Back
Top Bottom