Is lying on branch not ok?

Maybe take a pic of his enclosure. Maybe you can get feedback on how much climbing area and cover you have. Is your cage high up enough to make him feel safe, etc.

Maybe take a pic of his enclosure. Maybe you can get feedback on how much climbing area and cover you have. Is your cage high up enough to make him feel safe, etc.

Not a lot. I hadn’t done any homework before I bought him from Petco, I don’t even know how old is he. I bought the Zoomed Chameleon Kit and added a few branches and leaves. I think the cage is quite small already and when I opened the door, he always goes out and walk around on the carpet. Though I’ve ordered a 24x24x48 cage from Dragonstrand.

I took the photos at Petco, and last week I think.

Attachments

• 36C6BCC9-6E94-4CF7-9047-487653C2E634.jpeg
    36C6BCC9-6E94-4CF7-9047-487653C2E634.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 2D18E114-831F-4BF1-A6C8-CD7CBEEEF1A2.jpeg
    2D18E114-831F-4BF1-A6C8-CD7CBEEEF1A2.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 323
Not a lot. I hadn’t done any homework before I bought him from Petco, I don’t even know how old is he. I bought the Zoomed Chameleon Kit and added a few branches and leaves. I think the cage is quite small already and when I opened the door, he always goes out and walk around on the carpet. Though I’ve ordered a 24x24x48 cage from Dragonstrand.

I took the photos at Petco, and last week I think.
I think this is a pretty common way for them to hang out when they are babies. Beman always would lay on his branches when he was little. Just make sure that your lighting is a T5 unit and that you are following supplementing and gutloading your feeders. If he is sleeping with lights on or closing his eyes or having issues holding on then there are issues to be concerned about.
Here is some helpful info.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

That Chameleon kit should be illegal. It has nothing in it that any chameleon NEEDS! Good job being the dragonstrand. You'll want to upgrade your lighting though as well. He could be bored or not stimulated because he doesn't have enough climbing spaces and foliage to feel safe and comfortable in that setup.

Last edited:
I think this is a pretty common way for them to hang out when they are babies. Beman always would lay on his branches when he was little. Just make sure that your lighting is a T5 unit and that you are following supplementing and gutloading your feeders. If he is sleeping with lights on or closing his eyes or having issues holding on then there are issues to be concerned about.
Here is some helpful info.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Thanks! The pictures are very very helpful! The kit includes a small dome fixture that I knew it's not recommended a few days ago, and have been looking for a linear. Does Veiled need the T5 high output 10.0 rather than 5.0? or T8?

That Chameleon kit should be illegal. It has nothing in it that any chameleon NEEDS! Good job being the dragon strand. You'll want to upgrade your lighting though as well. He could be bored or not stimulated because he didn't have enough climbing spaces and foliage to feel comfortable in that setup.

Every Petco sells it and I even saw it at other chameleon store. If I could return it I would. I've been looking for a linear but don't know what to buy. I need a fixture that's 24" long to cover nearly everywhere? Thanks!

Thanks! The pictures are very very helpful! The kit includes a small dome fixture that I knew it's not recommended a few days ago, and have been looking for a linear. Does Veiled need the T5 high output 10.0 rather than 5.0? or T8?
Your welcome. I would do a 10.0 and have your basking branch down about 7 inches from the screen. This should provide the perfect UVI levels for him. Also if you are going with the 10.0 get a dwarf umbrella tree to put in the middle to provide foliage for him to retreat into. Lots of horizontal vines as well. Good choice on the dragon strand. I just got mine set up they are fantastic enclosures.
So you will be getting a 24 inch fixture and it if does not come with the bulb then the bulb length is a 22 inch for the 24 inch fixture.

That Chameleon kit should be illegal. It has nothing in it that any chameleon NEEDS! Good job being the dragon strand. You'll want to upgrade your lighting though as well. He could be bored or not stimulated because he didn't have enough climbing spaces and foliage to feel comfortable in that setup.

Could not agree more. I used mine as a grow out cage by making a few alternations. That's really the only use for it. I don't think it should necessary be illegal, but it should very clearly state that this is not a "complete kit" and that it's not intended for adult animal. It really is rather useless in more ways than one.

Your welcome. I would do a 10.0 and have your basking branch down about 7 inches from the screen. This should provide the perfect UVI levels for him. Also if you are going with the 10.0 get a dwarf umbrella tree to put in the middle to provide foliage for him to retreat into. Lots of horizontal vines as well. Good choice on the dragon strand. I just got mine set up they are fantastic enclosures.
So you will be getting a 24 inch fixture and it if does not come with the bulb then the bulb length is a 22 inch for the 24 inch fixture.

Thank you! I'll get a good fixture asap. I really should've done enough homework. He was just lying there at the store and I couldn't walk away without him.

So as long as the highest branch is about 7 inches away from the screen, he won't get too much UV? https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf I read this a few days ago, and thought 10.0 was too much.

I've done extensive research on veils. Even going as far as listening to Bill Strands episodes on the Yemen in captivity and in the wild. In the wild when the veilds are young it is the rainy season with extensive cloud cover. In the dryer months you'll only see the dominant males basking in the open in the sun. You can almost never find a veiled in the open during the day they're hiding. This can even be seen in South Florida where they are wild and intrusive. I think as long as you're using a T5 linear light a 5.0 is just fine. Just make sure to supplement with calcium and D3 a couple times a month. Better yet if you live in a climate that's suitable in warmer months take the little guy outside for a few hours for the real thing!

Our vailed often chills by laying on a branch. He'll perk up if anyone comes up to the cage. I think it's pretty normal.

I’m glad to know. I read the article and thought mine was sick.

Another question is, do you think he looks sick from the pictures? I noticed the “pimples” on his head are getting a little more prominent.

Attachments

• 6FA664A5-6876-4779-9CD9-4558593E050B.jpeg
    6FA664A5-6876-4779-9CD9-4558593E050B.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 132
  • C51CA036-B7AC-4064-B136-E03DBB8DDF07.jpeg
    C51CA036-B7AC-4064-B136-E03DBB8DDF07.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 123
He

Another question is, do you think he looks sick from the pictures? I noticed the “pimples” on his head are getting a little more prominent.
Looks pretty good to me. How are his poops looking? His eye turrets look slightly sunk in but not bad or excessive. Just make sure he's getting plenty of water with mistings and a dripper

Thank you! I'll get a good fixture asap. I really should've done enough homework. He was just lying there at the store and I couldn't walk away without him.

So as long as the highest branch is about 7 inches away from the screen, he won't get too much UV? https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/Choosing-Correct-UVB-Lamp-2018-07.pdf I read this a few days ago, and thought 10.0 was too much.
So give this a listen. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-91-veiled-chameleon-lighting/ this is based on providing a level between 3-6 for veiled chams. Looking at that chart your gonna be hitting about a 2.6-3.7 ish at 7 inches. The problem is that you lose about 30% through the screen. What I don't like about that chart is that they do not specify if these are the levels with the screen or without screen blocking the light.
I do have a solarmeter. I am running a 12% Arcadia bulb in a quad fixture and am at about a 3.5 at basking level with a rise to about 4.3 at the top of his back. That is using the solarmeter. The hard thing is unless you have a solarmeter you will not know what your levels are exactly. I highly recommend them but they are pricey. What I have seen with doing a lower strength bulb is that so much gets lost with the screen that you literally have to have your basking right below the screen which is dangerous. But this is why it is important to have live plants that they can retreat into when they feel the need.
There are many other great podcasts there you may find really interesting.

I don't understand what you mean by pimples... are you talking about the scales? His eyes look a little sunk in. May have a little dehydration going on.

He
Looks pretty good to me. How are his poops looking? His eye turrets look slightly sunk in but not bad or excessive. Just make sure he's getting plenty of water with mistings and a dripper

Poops look good but I'm always worried about hydration. I use spray bottle and now have fake plants but they are hard to hold water. He tries to drink water coming out from the dripper but he's kinda always too late to catch. I bought a CliMist but haven't received it yet.

So give this a listen. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-91-veiled-chameleon-lighting/ this is based on providing a level between 3-6 for veiled chams. Looking at that chart your gonna be hitting about a 2.6-3.7 ish at 7 inches. The problem is that you lose about 30% through the screen. What I don't like about that chart is that they do not specify if these are the levels with the screen or without screen blocking the light.
I do have a solarmeter. I am running a 12% Arcadia bulb in a quad fixture and am at about a 3.5 at basking level with a rise to about 4.3 at the top of his back. That is using the solarmeter. The hard thing is unless you have a solarmeter you will not know what your levels are exactly. I highly recommend them but they are pricey. What I have seen with doing a lower strength bulb is that so much gets lost with the screen that you literally have to have your basking right below the screen which is dangerous. But this is why it is important to have live plants that they can retreat into when they feel the need.
There are many other great podcasts there you may find really interesting.

Thanks! The solarmeter is quite pricey. I'll get 10.0 or 12% then.

Back
Top Bottom