Is Leo healthy?

extrajordinary

Established Member
Since Leo is my first chameleon of any species, I don't fully trust myself to recognize if something is wrong. While he has been acting completely normal, I wanted to post a recent photo of him with some information on my husbandry so those of you that are more experienced can look everything over and tell me if you notice anything wrong. Thanks in advance!

Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon; male; 5-6 months old; he has been in my care for exactly 3 months and 1 day (I got him on October 18, 2018)
Handling - I very rarely handle Leo. I corralled him onto my hand a few days ago because I wanted to get a closer look at his casque (I though maybe he had a burn) and while I was holding him he bit me. Made me bleed a little, but he didn't want to be held and I forced it to check him out.
Feeding - He is eating medium sized crickets. I feed the crickets spinach and carrots. The amount of crickets I feed him varies a little, but I try to feed him between 15-20 crickets daily. I've been told he should be allowed to each as much as he wants at his current age.
Supplements - I dust the crickets with calcium with D3 and a multivitamin once every two weeks and calcium without D3 at every feeding.
Watering - There is a dripper in the corner and I mist his cage 2-3 times daily.
Fecal Description - He has decent sized poops with a slight odor and his urates are white.
History - He is from FL Chams. I was told he was 2-3 months when I got him on October 18, 2018.

Cage Type - He has a Zoo Med X-Large Repti Breeze Aluminum Screen Cage. It measures 2' by 2' by 4'. There is a shower curtain attached to three sides to help with the humidity.
Lighting - I'm using a Zoo Med Repti Sun Terrarium Hood 24 inch with a Zoo Med 24" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb. For heat I have a Zoo Med regular black ceramic clip lamp with a regular incandescent lightbulb. It's 60 or 100 watts, I can't remember. The lights turn on at 5 in the morning and turn off at 5/5:30 in the evening.
Temperature - The basking spot ranges from 80-85. I don't know what the temperature in the bottom of the cage is or what it has been at night. I've been using an analog temperature gauge.
Humidity - The humidity rests around 30-40% now that it's winter, and after I mist the enclosure it climbs to about 70%. It gradually decreases over several hours. As I mentioned, I have a shower curtain attached to the enclosure to help maintain the humidity levels. I also use an analog hygrometer.
Plants - Yes, I have a ficus. The ficus was purchased from LLL Reptile.
Placement - It is in the corner of the room, away from the windows and doors. The top of the cage is probably about 6-7 feet off of the ground. It's a 4' cage that sits on top of a plastic utility tub.
Location - North Chicago, about 20-25 miles north of Chicago.

DSC_0024 copy 2.jpg
Leo on January 11, 2019.

He looks good and healthy! Your husbandry looks good. Just offer him more variety for food and gutload your feeders with more greens. Spinach is not a good gutload, use dandelion greens apple orange, kale, chard.

He looks good and healthy! Your husbandry looks good. Just offer him more variety for food and gutload your feeders with more greens. Spinach is not a good gutload, use dandelion greens apple orange, kale, chard.
Oh good! I've tried to offer him BSFL and super worms...but he won't touch anything but crickets. I'll keep trying though! I'll switch to kale then! Thank you for that information!

Buy some Black Soldier Fly Larva for him, he will love them and they are super nutritious and cheap. I get mine from Symton, they have free shipping. Sorry, we were typing at same time and didn't see your post above about bsfl.

try silk worms maybe, also super nutritious, and as far as I can tell hes all healthy and good to me!

Back
Top Bottom