Is it too Hot? New Owner!

I live in Tucson Arizona

I literally just picked up a 1 month old Male Veiled Chameleon about 2 hours ago. Beautiful bright green colors. When he gets scared he gets a little dark and leaves green spots. He is very timid and is still getting used to his new home. I just added a feeder cup since he’s been home. Now he’s just hiding in the very back up top. He has been searching around his cage before that so I don’t know if it is because of the temperature or because I scared him. But the coolest spot in his cage is 81 underneath his ficus tree where I surround it with Pothos plant. Should I elevate the light a little bit to make it cooler down there? Or do I just need more foliage? Earlier today it was at 74 but he gets 105 during the day here and I have a swamp cooler. Any tips or critiquing would really help. I’m a first time owner! Thank you!

Last edited:
This is his set up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 9983FA31-095D-446E-AB82-3B45D668A38D.jpeg
    9983FA31-095D-446E-AB82-3B45D668A38D.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 136
  • 2926EA29-2FEA-4628-88E7-9CC8CF98BF34.jpeg
    2926EA29-2FEA-4628-88E7-9CC8CF98BF34.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 95
105 seems too high in my opinion i would think you should get some sorta metal holder or something that can lift that heat lamp further off his cage just because he will most likely get burnt at that temp plus its a baby but im not expert just try to aim for the upper 80s for the top basking portion of the cage like 85

Mid 80's is recommended basking spot for youngsters adults would be low 90's.
Only make one post per problem it will yield less responses and cause confusion. Lower the temp and just let him get used to his new home don't constantly be trying to mess with him or hover around his enclosure you'll cause him to get stressed. More foliage the better you want to have it dence toward the top this will likely make him feel more comfortable.

105 seems too high in my opinion i would think you should get some sorta metal holder or something that can lift that heat lamp further off his cage just because he will most likely get burnt at that temp plus its a baby but im not expert just try to aim for the upper 80s for the top basking portion of the cage like 85
I’m very sorry I meant that it gets 105 here in Tucson the most his basking spot is 90 right now so I will definitely raise it up to get a little cooler

Mid 80's is recommended basking spot for youngsters adults would be low 90's.
Only make one post per problem it will yield less responses and cause confusion. Lower the temp and just let him get used to his new home don't constantly be trying to mess with him or hover around his enclosure you'll cause him to get stressed. More foliage the better you want to have it dence toward the top this will likely make him feel more comfortable.
I will definitely raise the light up for him. I can tell he needs to get used to it and we have been giving him his space for sure. I’m sorry about that. For some reason it wouldn’t show me the last thread I tried to post. The first one I had a week or so ago nobody was replying to me about this top on it so I figured starting a new one would help.

Easy so what i do is 12 hours of light 12 hours of dark try to keep a even schedule and have a spray bottle if u dont have one clean one out really good and before nights go out have not really cold water but slightly chilly and give it a good spray before night night, And watch the temp you dont want it to drop to much but it should go to mid 70s but make sure if u dont have a automatic mister spray him pretty often and watch a few videos on youtube on how to make a dripper for a chameleon also when i say 12 hours of light 12 hours of dark i mean turn his lights completely off and no problem im really knew too this i got my baby panther 2 days ago but have done a lot research i love this forum very nice people everywhere just make sure you mist him often during the day too he needs that water

Easy so what i do is 12 hours of light 12 hours of dark try to keep a even schedule and have a spray bottle if u dont have one clean one out really good and before nights go out have not really cold water but slightly chilly and give it a good spray before night night, And watch the temp you dont want it to drop to much but it should go to mid 70s but make sure if u dont have a automatic mister spray him pretty often and watch a few videos on youtube on how to make a dripper for a chameleon also when i say 12 hours of light 12 hours of dark i mean turn his lights completely off and no problem im really knew too this i got my baby panther 2 days ago but have done a lot research i love this forum very nice people everywhere just make sure you mist him often during the day too he needs that water
New* but another thing is they like to have there sleep so keep them on that same schedule

I really appreciate! This place has been very very helpful so far! So I’ve been practicing past week with his 12 hour late schedule. I just recently got a misting bottle so that’s helped with the humidity. Right now I’ve only been doing to do three misting sessions for about 2 to 3 minutes each and it keeps it perfect for humidity. I’ve had the dripper going the whole time for the daytime schedule. It’s crazy because there’s certain points of the day where everything goes really good and then out of nowhere it will just get super hot. I can keep the humidity easy. With the darn swamp cooler, plus it randomly rains right now so it just gets muggy and hot in the house. Also ordering a missed king system on Tuesday so that way when I’m at work he gets the proper moisture. But I really appreciate the advice and I will try the nighttime misting with the cooler water!

I really appreciate! This place has been very very helpful so far! So I’ve been practicing past week with his 12 hour late schedule. I just recently got a misting bottle so that’s helped with the humidity. Right now I’ve only been doing to do three misting sessions for about 2 to 3 minutes each and it keeps it perfect for humidity. I’ve had the dripper going the whole time for the daytime schedule. It’s crazy because there’s certain points of the day where everything goes really good and then out of nowhere it will just get super hot. I can keep the humidity easy. With the darn swamp cooler, plus it randomly rains right now so it just gets muggy and hot in the house. Also ordering a missed king system on Tuesday so that way when I’m at work he gets the proper moisture. But I really appreciate the advice and I will try the nighttime misting with the cooler water!
The cage needs to dry out completely at night. 70s should be fine for a night time temp I wouldn't worry too much on that right now. Too hot is a problem though you can cause burns overheating ect so get that basking temp no higher than 84.

The cage needs to dry out completely at night. 70s should be fine for a night time temp I wouldn't worry too much on that right now. Too hot is a problem though you can cause burns overheating ect so get that basking temp no higher than 84.
See I though I read that. I gave a little misting 2 hours before lights out and emptied the drain pan. His lamp is off right now but right before it was at 86 for the basking. So would I need to move it a littler higher if it doesn’t stay lower?

I like my night temperatures in the 60s, in the winter even as low as ~55. Low 70s isnt terrible, but definitely aim for cooler at night.

On the other hand, you should look into buying a linear uvb fixture/bulb sooner than later. The coil bulbs are no good.

Also, I wouldn't say the cage needs to dry out at night. All my chameleons get a heavy misting right before lights out in order to keep humidity high through the night.

I like my night temperatures in the 60s, in the winter even as low as ~55. Low 70s isnt terrible, but definitely aim for cooler at night.

On the other hand, you should look into buying a linear uvb fixture/bulb sooner than later. The coil bulbs are no good.

Also, I wouldn't say the cage needs to dry out at night. All my chameleons get a heavy misting right before lights out in order to keep humidity high through the night.
Ahhhhh we dream of nights like that. Unfortunately in the summer my house barley gets into the mid 70s at night. Are there anyways you know of I can get it a little cooler? Or would it just be a fan? :ROFLMAO:
I’ll have to look up the linear fixture. Do the coils not work?
Having my swamp cooler makes for the nights to have from 40to50% humidity. I was told that would be okay for not having to mist before bed?

Thats what i was thinking good for the morning lights too creates the morning dew feel

Back
Top Bottom