Is it possible they are buddies.

globug

It's been over 20 days since my two have 'been' together. The female has been digging around in the dirt but not layed yet. I covered up the front of the enclosure and put a visual barrier between her and Nacho. But she was climbing around looking for him around the corner of it and he is looking around there too to see her. I took away the barrier and they are right by each other looking thru. They never show any aggression.

Is it possible that they some how are not 100% solitary and seem to want to see each other ALL the time?

Anyone have a male and female who hang out? I know we are supposed to keep them in separate rooms or away so males don't go koo-koo but... He's always mellow and she seems to wanna see him.

Any stories would be cool.

What species is nacho and "assumed recently acquired female of same species"?

Because they probably would be much more at ease in seperate enclosures...

They are both veiled...I know as humans we put a lot of 'human' emotions and feelings on animals which really aren't feeling those things. I know that Chameleons are solitary but as I said I put up a visual barrier and they both went to the edge of it where they could just looking into each others enclosures. Weird.

Don't be mean, but am i nuts?

Also to help with the laying process should I just completely cover her up day and night or some suggestions for her comfort to lay?

I have seen post where many chams free range together, and I am so jealous !! lol , they all get along, even mixed breeds get along, BUT.....these chams (from what I understand ) we all babies together, and also - they ARE NOT caged - they can get away from each other at any time- I put my 2 Jacksons together, for one, to see if they would breed, well... all was well for days, and I thought I could leave them un-supervised, that same day she decided she no longer likes him- she ran him right out of the tree, onto the ground, and would have kept attacking I am sure had I not removed him- these 2 were in a 14 foot wide "pen" with a REAL 16 foot tall tree outside, and that was not big enough for Olive and Oliver both- I would NOT recommend you cage them together - you know how us woman can be...love ya one min/ - hate you the next :p if you are not there AND WATCHING every second, someone is going to get hurt - :( I know you want them to "like" each other- but its just not a cham thing to be "friends" as much as we want them to be- maybe she is watching him to try and see if she is alone to lay, and he is watching her because , well, he wants her !! :p
good luck with them , its always exciting to have babies on the way :D

Chameleons are often buddies when you free range however I would NEVER put two together in a cage of any size. Here's Jr and Hendershot. They are best friends.

JrHendershotJannPadreElly112611302.jpg

Chameleons are often buddies when you free range however I would NEVER put two together in a cage of any size. Here's Jr and Hendershot. They are best friends.

JrHendershotJannPadreElly112611302.jpg

SEE !!! now I am even MORE jealous !! Olive just will NOT let anyone in her tree-no matter how big it is - I am just glad it was a huge area so he could run away from her as I ran to them- I really thought after a week of them doing well together, they would be ok, but she just will not have it :( she is a BRAT , but I love her ~ :p

Beautiful pictures....thanks for advice.

I won't put them together, just have enclosures next to each other.

I have Baby covered and she's digging and digging...I'm just hoping and praying that she likes the bin and will do her business soon. Have her covered and a visual barrier between enclosures now so no peeking from Nacho.. I guess it's just wait and see now huh?

Beautiful pictures....thanks for advice.

I won't put them together, just have enclosures next to each other.

I have Baby covered and she's digging and digging...I'm just hoping and praying that she likes the bin and will do her business soon. Have her covered and a visual barrier between enclosures now so no peeking from Nacho.. I guess it's just wait and see now huh?

I would deffinately keep her out of sight form the male and EVERYTHING while she is digging and laying. Give her complete privacy. You might find my egg laying blog helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Oh god,,,,been at work today about 13 hours, the place is a mess she obviously been digging all day, she looks really skinny and i think is just doing the...'I'm gonna hide the hell out of these eggs and keep digging for hours' thing....Unless she just been working out all day and lost some weight i think she laid.

I'm freaked cause I don't have access to incubator except to order online, which could take a while....I kinda feel off guard by this. For all we know they aren't even fertile, however, what are options about how long to leave in soil or other heat source ideas? Do people even just use heat lights as heat source and do they have to have the heat on them day and night.....okay, okay, not how I expected my evening to be, now quite tweeted out. She doesn't want to stop 'covering' so I'll just leave her for sure.

Breathe, breathe....mind racing. Being in northern China, I can jerry-rig anything.

Oh god,,,,been at work today about 13 hours, the place is a mess she obviously been digging all day, she looks really skinny and i think is just doing the...'I'm gonna hide the hell out of these eggs and keep digging for hours' thing....Unless she just been working out all day and lost some weight i think she laid.

I'm freaked cause I don't have access to incubator except to order online, which could take a while....I kinda feel off guard by this. For all we know they aren't even fertile, however, what are options about how long to leave in soil or other heat source ideas? Do people even just use heat lights as heat source and do they have to have the heat on them day and night.....okay, okay, not how I expected my evening to be, now quite tweeted out. She doesn't want to stop 'covering' so I'll just leave her for sure.

Breathe, breathe....mind racing. Being in northern China, I can jerry-rig anything.

I have never used an incubator. I have hatched many eggs over the years keeping them in a Rubbermaid egg bin placed in a closet that stays between 68 and 75 F.

Thanks, you're right. I've been googling and searching the 'poo' out of this and ya, I can maintain the 72* temp and have a tup and I have taht special material....can you believe it?!?!?!?!? Of all the crap I can't get here in China, I was able to buy that V. stuff used for incubating eggs, and have a couple fish tanks with a nice dark cupboard. I haven't seen yet if eggs are viable. She's finally stopped digging I'll leave her til I get home tomorrow evening. Let her do her thing. She's only a year so I don't wanna traumatize her.

Nope, I'm not putting males together. It's my male and female. She's always looking for him and now I know why. She just layid eggs 2 days ago and when she seemed really interested in him I think was when she wanted to breed with him. He's mellow and just watches her climb around but she was activity trying to get to him....Little vixen.

As she was getting ready to lay eggs they also seemed really interested in each other. But I covered her and put a visual barrier between them and she laid. Now they are living side-by-side as they were before, just chillin.

Back
Top Bottom