Is it ok to not feed roaches?

techmikef

I want to provide as much diversity in my chams diet as possible but my wife is not ok with having roaches around. Is it ok to not feed roaches so long as I food a good variety of other things?

I don't see why not. I don't feed roaches. I'm in FL and Dubia's aren't allowed so I can never get them. There are plenty of food items you can use besides roaches :)

It's totally okay.

Instead, if you want a varied diet, use a variety of worms and other bugs.

You can get mantises, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, crickets, katydids, even some snails.

We tried offering dubias to my panther and he refuses to eat them. We feed him crickets, horn worms, super worms, and we've tried wax worms, but he wasn't impressed. He's a very picky eater.

I want to provide as much diversity in my chams diet as possible but my wife is not ok with having roaches around. Is it ok to not feed roaches so long as I food a good variety of other things?

of course! There are PLENTY of other choices. Terrestrial isopods, various beetles, termites, grasshoppers, crickets, indian walking sticks, moths, silkworms, butterworms, snails, blue bottle flies, etc.

insect breeding

I have never fed cockroaches but have been able to increase the variety of insects for my adult Panthers by breeding several species of stick insect.Very useful during winter months where no wild insects can be found and things get a bit grim with just crickets to feed.Currently breed Macleay's,giant spiny,Indian,Ramulus and others.All do well on raspberry leaves or salal in winter when it gets too hard to get any other leaves. All complete a life cycle in 1 year or less so you can get a continous population going of breeders and juvenilles for chameleon food.My chameleons readily take any of these species and make good additions to an otherwise boring[and nutritionally incomplete] diet

Back
Top Bottom