Is it ok to mist during shedding?

rmichaelk

Hello,
My 7 month old male panther chameleon is going through shedding for the first time under my care. I was wondering if I should continue to mist him like I usually do or if I should wait till he has completed shedding the old skin. I wasn't sure if misting would make it hard for him to shed the old dry skin.

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael

You actually want to mist more to help him shed. The added humidity makes it easier, kinda like snakes minus the bowl/hide. :)

Thanks Kara. Yeh I used a humid hide to my snake's enclosure when he is shedding but I wasn't sure about directly misting the chameleon. I am on it :).

Michael

Sure thing. Just don't mist him if he doesn't seem to like it, just mist everything around him even longer. :)

Sure thing. Just don't mist him if he doesn't seem to like it, just mist everything around him even longer. :)

If he doesn't seem to like, it's one thing, however, if he freaks out, it usually indicates the water is too warm or too cool. Most mister's water temp. cools down a lot after becoming such a misty spray. Whenever I mist my little guys' plants, I make sure to use much warmer water as appose to the drippers. :)

Right, I check the temperature of the spray that is coming out of the mister to ensure it is not too hot or too cold. I aim for 85F and he seems to like that and doesn't run away. But I don't spray him directy. I always spray at a leaf/vine right next to him and he slowly moves into the spray if he feels like it.

Michael

Too much misting the lizard directly, will only slow the process. Old skin is meant to dry out and flake off, soggy skin sticks.
Balance in all things. Mist the cage plants plenty, the lizard, less so.
:)

Back
Top Bottom