Is it normal for a panther chameleon bleed while mating

OptimusPrime

My panther chameleon mounted a female for the first time. Out of the blue it looked like his unit was off to the side. All of a sudden blood started dripping and seamen was on the back of her leg. He dropped quite a lot of blood but when he pulled back in it stopped bleeding. Also his eyes sunk in. I brought him back home but it's as he's still looking for her

Are you sure the blood was from him and not her? How was his health before you put them together?

Mating is very stressful on both males and females. Give him a few weeks to recoup and most likely everything will be fine. If he looks like he is going down hill the best bet is to take him to a qualified herp vet. Good luck and hope everything all good with him.

I've never seen it in chameleons but I did have this happen with some leopard geckos years ago. I put them in together to breed and came back 10 minutes later to a bin speckled with blood everywhere. I couldn't find any injuries and they both looked fine but I was at the vet's with them the next morning. We checked the mouths, the vents, toes, eyes, etc., and nothing.

I emailed a few large breeders and I did get a couple replies back saying that they'd seen the same thing from at least one or two virgin males. It was never a problem or a health issue, nor did it ever happen again to the same male after that first time.

So I don't know, it may have been a little nick on a hemipene, or a ruptured blood vessel, etc. But keep an eye on him. If he goes on like nothing then great, but go to the vet if he keeps looking stressed/still has sunken eyes.

Back
Top Bottom