Is it normal for a casque to be this fat?

saskiat

Hey!
I have 2 male panther chameleons, they have the exact same cage setup, yet one of them has a really fat head, and the other does not. Is this normal or is it a sign of something? (see attached pictures) Below is the cage and reptile information.

• Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon Mitso. He is about 2 to 3 years old. Ive had him since he was 3 months old.
  • Handling - He is very tame and often looks like he wants to get out of his cage (scratching the wire) I'd say i handle him 3 times a week.
  • Feeding - I feed him normal crickets, gutloaded with fruits, vegetables, dry cat food, and reptile nutrigrub. I put feeders in a bin in his cage daily, about 8 but he only eats about 4 to 6 a day.
  • Supplements - Repticalcium (no d3) 5 days a week, minerall-outdoor once a week, vit-all (no d3) once every two weeks, minerall-indoor(with d3) once every two weeks.
  • Watering - I spray with hand once a day and have a misting system going off 6 times a day for 30 seconds. i see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - looks normal. He has not been recently tested for parasites.
  • History - He sits in the lower section of his cage a lot, while the other cham often sits way higher, below his lamp.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - the reptibreeze that is not the biggest (18*18*36). I have a wooden wall around the bottom and 3 sides of the cage to prevent too much humidity loss.
  • Lighting - 13 hours a day light. normal heat lamp and UV-light (reptisun 5.0 H0 lamp, 12 inches. recently replaced, the other cham has an arcadia 6% 20 inch lamp)
  • Temperature - day: 32c in highest place, 22c in lowest place. At night it gets 22c at its lowest. I use laser thermometer to measure.
  • Humidity - misted 6x a day for 30 seconds. not sure what the humidity is, but i think it is in the right area.
  • Plants - ficus plant in the center and some plastic plants at the bottom. some bamboo sticks for walking around.
    Placement - top of cage is about eye level. they are on the sunny side of my house (some sunlight from window gets into cage)
  • Location - netherlands

Attachments

• 20190118_125226.jpg
    20190118_125226.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 20190129_142805.jpg
    20190129_142805.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 394
  • 20190216_142148.jpg
    20190216_142148.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 20190216_142153.jpg
    20190216_142153.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 361
Just different body types I’m sure. Judging by just the pictures there’s nothing immediately/obviously wrong with him if your REALLY worried about it you should contact a vet.

He's absolutely Beautiful!! Did I understand you correctly: feed crickets only?
My understanding is that a varied diet every other day with live green plants available ( your Ficus should be perfect. My 2 Veiled Chameleons love Dubia Roaches, Superworms, BSFL, the occasional Horned Worm. All dusted with Calcium with and without D3 (alternate) and Reptivite. I hear them both chewing their green plants on occasion: Bromelid and Pothos seem to be their favorites. Getting them out on an Indoor investigating area (winter here) for exercise is perfect. I wouldn't worry too much...always do the Best you can with Lots of Love, Patience, research and you'll be successful! Enjoy your babies!!

Attachments

• Resized_20181009_173135.jpg
    Resized_20181009_173135.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 291
It’s both fat and fluid, but in this case it is mostly fat, he is obease. Not horrifically, but definitely obease. Fat cells contain a lot of fluid/water.

Every Cham is unique, even brothers from the same clutch. Each will process food and water differently, that’s how you can end up with your situation.

I find chameleon breeder podcast's video of "which chameleon should I get" is very helpful.
He explains how your chameleon should look like and also explains an obease chameleon's body.

He's absolutely Beautiful!! Did I understand you correctly: feed crickets only?
My understanding is that a varied diet every other day with live green plants available ( your Ficus should be perfect. My 2 Veiled Chameleons love Dubia Roaches, Superworms, BSFL, the occasional Horned Worm. All dusted with Calcium with and without D3 (alternate) and Reptivite. I hear them both chewing their green plants on occasion: Bromelid and Pothos seem to be their favorites. Getting them out on an Indoor investigating area (winter here) for exercise is perfect. I wouldn't worry too much...always do the Best you can with Lots of Love, Patience, research and you'll be successful! Enjoy your babies!!
Boy that is a gorgeous veiled!

It’s both fat and fluid, but in this case it is mostly fat, he is obease. Not horrifically, but definitely obease. Fat cells contain a lot of fluid/water.

Every Cham is unique, even brothers from the same clutch. Each will process food and water differently, that’s how you can end up with your situation.
Yes, He is gorgeous, just a healthy eater obviously. I would cut back on the feeding.

Back
Top Bottom